my surgery is in 3 days (9/3/09) and I am feeling mixed emotions...

Rachel S.
on 8/31/09 6:04 am - Montclair, NJ
Hi Dedi:

No, I did not stay overnight. My surgery was scheduled for 9:30am, so I was there as planned at 7:30am, 2 hours before for registration, etc. OR's are always behind, my surgery started about 11am and I was discharged home and in the car at 3:30pm!

I should have thought about wearing my scrubs! Are you a nurse, too?

bsc-8-30
on 8/31/09 6:08 am
I'm a retired nurse, I guess there is alot of us out here.huh?
Rachel S.
on 8/31/09 8:46 am - Montclair, NJ
Yeah, I'm beginning to think so, too! hehe

Dedi
on 8/31/09 6:42 am, edited 8/31/09 6:42 am
REALIZE Band on 09/03/09 with
nope, they are just my fat pants hehe... I have a pair for when I don't want to squeeze into my other clothes.

I'm actually a counselor for addictions.

Dedi

260/243/128.8/130

Mikkifinn
on 8/31/09 7:47 am - Goodyear, AZ
Dedi, the best advice I can give you while you're on liquid/soft foods and invited to a get together is to bring food that you can eat so you can be part of the group. I felt so alone and isolated because I didn't bring anything I could eat. At least 3 people came up to me to ask me to go eat and I had to tell them I couldn't eat what was there....then had to explain why. At least if you have food you can eat, no one will hopefully ask why you're not eating! Good luck and you're making a step in the right direction!

LIsa M.
on 8/31/09 8:41 am - Manahawkin, NJ
i am a week post op from my surgery and today now that I've taking in more protein with the shakes i feel much better then the last 2 days.  My only problem after surgery was extreme nausea but I had problems pre op with it.  make sure you get a good night sleep the night before if you can, I think that really made me more ready the morning of. 

This board has been amazing and alot of good advice :)
(deactivated member)
on 9/1/09 4:42 am
Hello!

Congratulations on your brave decision to undergo surgery. I had my Realize band "installed" on August 3rd and am 4 weeks out as of yesterday.

Having surgery was a BIG thing for me and I was a little nervous and then a little emotional after the surgery just because it was such a monumentous occasion. That said, I am EVER so glad I did it.

---Things I felt were especially helpful for me ---

Wearing very loose stretchy waisted pants for the drive home and a some kind of t-shirt type top.

Having a cell phone to call my work/family at the hospital with updates

Chap stick

Tote bag to put stuff from the hospital in like any papers or medications they send you home with (a larger purse would work well too)

Once at home, the most helpful things for me were---

walking-- it isn't too fun to walk when all you want to do is rest but it does help the bloating and gas pains tremendously.  Just take it slow.

pillows -- for the first several days I had a hard time getting comfortable. Pillows helped a lot to help me get into the most comfortable position I could, which turned out to be the same as in the hospital.

making sure to take the pain meds my doctor prescribed. Don't be a hero, just so you can say you didn't need any : )

Over all, I would say the pain and discomfort was a lot less than what I expected.

I hope everything goes well with your surgery and that you have an easy recovery.

Trixie

Dedi
on 9/1/09 8:42 am
Thanks for the list...

I have seen several people say bring chapstick... why?

Dedi

Dedi

260/243/128.8/130

thepose2003
on 9/2/09 6:28 am - NJ

probably because your gonna get that pasty mouth (dry) and chap lips. You wanna look good when you come out the operation room and sitting in the recovery room---------------right? Just kdding trying to make you smile before tomorrow. 

Dedi
on 9/2/09 7:25 am
I still don't know what its for, but I bought some yesterday...

D

Dedi

260/243/128.8/130

Most Active