Question On Band/Vomiting

rvbrat2
on 8/30/09 8:58 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
Hello!

I need some advice from you folks that have already been through this.

I am 2 months out from surgery and over the past few weeks I have started having a few issues that I'm trying to figure out. When I eat and take a few bites it feels like the food is sitting in my chest and I feel extremly full then I vomit a little. I am not having any pain at all but this only happens every once in a while. I had my first fill back in July (1 mo post-op) & was able to swallow water before leaving the doctor's office & I have been able to eat (like I said this only happens every now & then).  After I vomit I feel relief  & I feel better. Is this happening because I'm not chewing enough?  I try to count to 35 before I swallow. I go back to the doctor on Sept. 17th for my 3 month follow up. If I'm still having issues I will talk to my doctor about it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks! 

Lisa
Tom C.
on 8/30/09 9:23 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

It could be that your band IS TOO tight. Even thou you could "drink" and have no issues, remember food is NOT liquids so it could be a tad too tight.

Question, when you had your fill - was it done "blindly" or under fluoroscope?

I have know other folks who have had issues swallowing with the band (even without a fill). Here is a trick I've heard mention quite a few times, and it seems to work. Before you are planning on eating - drink/sip something HOT (decaffeinated tea). This usually relaxes the esophagus. I know .. I know .. we're not to drink 30 minutes before, during or 30 minutes after eating .. so try drinking 30 minutes before to see if that work. If it doesn't help, then talk to your Doctor and see if it would be ok to drink "just before" you eat. Some Doctors are ok with that.

Also, since you're going to see your Doctor - tell him your issue. He may need only to remove a slight CC and you'll be at your "sweet" spot.

Hope this helped.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
fairy_kissez
on 8/30/09 11:23 pm - Albuquerque, NM
Sounds like a PB to me. Slow down and like KerniC says dont piggy back your food. Take a bite chew chew chew chew and then wait a bit before you take another bite. Slow down, it is always when I am in a hurry that I feel like that.

Jennifer

lapband in 2008 at 298lbs , lowest weight was 183lbs , Band almost killed me and removed in 2011. No revison because to much damage for revision.

Anti Lap-band advocate!

Catina
on 8/31/09 4:17 am
Hi Lisa,

I just started having the same problem this week with my foods coming back up, so I have decided to try eating slower or just changing up with I'm eating. I'm trying to figure it out on my own, but if I continue having the same problem by next week. I'm contacting my doctor.

I had my surgery on May 12th, so I find it kinda weird to be vomiting now. Let me know what you doctor tells you.
Carolen
on 8/31/09 1:22 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I too have been vomitting more lately.  Mindful eating will assist the most.  Chew and eat slowly.  Also, note what foods you are having the most trouble with, you may notice a pattern.  Is is something sticky like white carbs (pasta, rice, bread) or something really fiberous (watermelon kills me).  Good luck to you.  If it really bothers you, see the doctor, though it doesn't sound like anything too serious.

kimg1969
on 9/5/09 7:02 am
Revision on 09/05/12
HI,i have the same problem almost daily. i should have bulimia. i had surgery on 7/20/09. i've only lost 13lbs since surgery. im very discussed with my weight loss. i have my 1st fill on Sept. 8. hope things go well.
Most Active