Concerned - not sure what's going on?

MisssBrown
on 8/29/09 2:18 am
Hi,

I need some advice from you folks that have already been through this.

I am 6 weeks out from surgery and have over the past few days started having a few issues that I'm trying to pin point down. I'm not familiar with the surgery 'slang' so my words might be a little different..

1.  I've started throwing up bites of food.  Like I'll take a bit and it feels like it's stuck and then the bite (just as I took it) comes back up. 

2.  I've thrown up (just like before getting banded) once. 

3.  After these occur I feel like I have lots of mucas in my throat and if I cough it comes up as well. 

I am not having any pain at all.  I don't think I have anything stuck because I've never had a problem with drinking/eating after this happens.

Is this happening because I'm not chewing some of my bites down enough?  I go in next week for my first fill so if I'm still having issues I'll of course talk to my doctor about it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks! 
bethany D.
on 8/29/09 2:48 am - Uncasville, CT
I was banded on 6/29 so I'm new to this experience but it sounds to me like you are pb'ing (#1) and sliming (#3).  That's from reading and getting educated by everyone on the lap band forum.   Take smaller bites and chew chew chew!!!   Good Luck
***BETHANY***   LAP BAND 6/29/09
HW 248/SW 231.9(16.1 LBS LOST PRE-OP)/CW see ticker/ GW 150

MisssBrown
on 8/29/09 3:15 am
So, it is caused from taking bite that are too big?

What is PB'ing (What does PB stand for?)

frcmac
on 8/29/09 7:40 am - Abilene, TX
Productive burp
wildheart63
on 8/29/09 9:20 am - IL
what ever you are eating is not working with the band try different stuff..some foods do not agree with the band....i can not eat pasta or bread....but i have learned to do ok with out them
first bite syndrome too....its when you feel stuck or full on the first bite or two. then after a few minutes you can continue to eat.....talk to the nut in the surgeons office.
try chicken in the crockpot....that was all i could have for a while.....it will get better and then you can try new foods....
good luck '
lori

MisssBrown
on 8/30/09 12:09 pm
Thanks everyone for the responses!

I'm going to focus on chewing my food more and see if that helps. 

Tom C.
on 8/30/09 9:36 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Like everyone said . it’s important to CHEW !! CHEW !! CHEW !! .. but what more important before you CHEW !! CHEW !! CHEW !!  Remeber, it is the SIZE of the food you are putting in your mouth which is truly important.

Before you put anything in your mouth, ask yourself “Would I feed this portion to a baby?" – and I don’t mean baby hippo. Your portion should be no bigger than a baby spoon/fork full. Once you have the right “size", then make sure you Chew – Chew – Chew.

Now, not matter HOW small the size is, some folks have an issue swallowing food (even if they had a fill or not). In that case, here is a trick I've heard mention quite a few times on boards and in support groups. It seems to work.

Before you are planning on eating - drink/sip something HOT (like decaffeinated tea). This will usually relax the esophagus. I know .. I know .. we're not suppose to drink 30 minutes before, during or 30 minutes after eating .. so try drinking 30 minutes before to see if that work. If it doesn't help, then talk to your Doctor and see if it would be ok to drink "just before" you eat. Some Doctors are ok with that.

Hope this was helpful.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Tooty
on 9/1/09 11:37 pm - Germantown, TN
I have this and it usually happens when I am hungry and am eating too fast.  I find that I have to take a tiny bite (pea size) for the first few bites and chew until it is pure liquid.  Stop between bites and swallowing before the next bite.  After doing this for the first few, I am good to go....seems to work when I remember to do this....
Cathlena - 39, 4'11"   Start - 210  3/31/09    BMI  Start: 42.4    
 LilySlim - (OdX3)
Most Active