Is the Realize band prefilled?

PSJ71
on 8/28/09 10:44 am - Blanchard, OK
Hi all,

I read somewhere that the Realize band is prefilled prior to implanting with 2 cc. Is this true? Reason I am asking is my husband said on my first fill on Monday that when the doc pulled the plunger on the syringe that it looked like there was some fluid in it before he injected any saline?
  Starting WT:  275   Surgery Wt:  248.8   Current Wt: 202.5 Goal:  140

MissRachel
on 8/28/09 4:28 pm
Good question.  The way my dr explained it to me is that when implanted there is enough saline in the band to keep it's shape and keep it as flexible as it should be.  And the Realize Band literature simply says that the band will provide minimal restriction when it is put in.  But it never really says if any saline is in the band when you first get it.  When I got my first fill, my surgeon put in 5.5cc and said the band was 1/2 full.  So he acted as if the amount in there - if any - was basically nothing.  I'm curious, too.

PSJ71
on 8/28/09 4:42 pm - Blanchard, OK
Hmmmm, now this is interesting. My doc didn't say anything either. I know that the NP at this office told me weeks prior to my fill that he would be putting in 5 cc, but he only put in 3. I have another fill scheduled for this coming Monday, so I will ask my doc if there is any saline in the band upon implanting, then maybe we will have an answer.

Tom C.
on 8/28/09 11:39 pm, edited 8/29/09 12:06 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
From what I know, the band does come prefilled - to keep the shape. BUT drained before implanting - then refilled to make sure there are no leaks - then drained completely before the surgery is done and they begin "closing you up".
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
MissRachel
on 8/29/09 5:12 am
Hope your next fill goes really well!  I had 2 fills last week and I am happy with the restriction.  It's been about 8 days now and it's okay.  Hopefully that will last until my next appt on 9/21.  Let me know what you find out - I'm curious. 

crystal M.
on 8/28/09 11:45 pm - Joliet, IL
I think it varies from surgeon to surgeon.  I asked my surgeon if he prefills and he said he does not. 
Southern-Belle
on 9/5/09 10:01 am
Mine does not prefill either.
wildheart63
on 8/29/09 9:12 am - IL
the answer to that question is no......if your surgeon decides to put in a cc or two that is entirely on his own. the band keeps it shape because it is strong, not just some flimsy plastic....you can ask your surgeon what he or she did at the implant.
mine was empty and now i have 8cc in there
welcome to the bench
lori

Dedi
on 9/4/09 6:48 am
REALIZE Band on 09/03/09 with
I just had my band placed yesterday.  I heard my doctor talking about it...she said something about draining the band before intalling it.  So I think it is shipped filled, but deflated upon surgery.  Hope that helps.

Dedi

Dedi

260/243/128.8/130

PSJ71
on 9/4/09 10:21 am - Blanchard, OK
Yes. I contacted Realize and asked them. They told me that it is up to the doctors discretion as to put any fluid in it. Before it is implanted, however, they do inject some fluid in it to make sure there are no leaks and then pull the fluid right back up before installing. So, I learned something new.

Most Active