Question about restriction

PSJ71
on 8/26/09 2:07 pm - Blanchard, OK
Hi all,

I was banded on 07/07/2009 and had my first fill on Monday, which was 3 cc. I wondered what restriction felt for you all. It has been 4 hours since I have eaten and I am not feeling hungry. Could I have restriction with just 3 cc? Today was the first day of solid foods and I had less than 1/4 cup of hamburger helper with lean meat, 2 teaspoons of corn and less than 1/4 cup of salad. I "could" have eaten more, but didn't. So, here it is 4 hours later and I don't feel hungry. My doctor told me on my visit that if when eating I felt I could polish off a whole hamburger then to schedule for another fill. So, I didn't know if I should go by no hunger pangs or hunger rumblings after 4 hours OR if I should go by how many bites to feel full or satisfied.

Thank you
  Starting WT:  275   Surgery Wt:  248.8   Current Wt: 202.5 Goal:  140

Tom C.
on 8/27/09 12:19 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Yes you could feel restrictions with 3 cc. Remember every one is different, so there is no specific number you should feel restriction.

Now remember, as you lose weight, the restriction may go away (even after a few days). Try to think of it as you tighten your belt to a certain notch. If you lose enough weight, that notch may/will be "too loose" to properly "do it's job". Don't panic - this is all normal in the band world !!

Good luck on your journey !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
WWIIRosie
on 8/27/09 5:17 am - Sheridan, IL
Tom,
I am glad I found your post.  I have been wondering why for the last couple of months I have been able to eat normally.  I have lost 100 pounds and have gained over 20 back because I have no restriction.  I am going to the surgeon on Monday so hopefully he will give me a fill so I can have some restriction again.

Thanks
Sheri

Obesity Help Support Group Leader 

Tom C.
on 8/27/09 7:14 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Sheri,

You sound like you definitely need a fill.

IMHO the best time to get a fill is when your weight loss has stopped; you start gaining; are eating larger portions; truely hungery more often. If you're loosing without a fill, why bother? Remember there are only so many fills that can be done until the band is full. Why waste the fills.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
kathkeb
on 8/29/09 2:53 pm

Well, you certainly have more 'restriction' than you had before your fill.
So -- for the time being, you are restricted -- it could change in 2 or 3 weeks.

I would plan my meals and snacks, and put your portion on your plate.
Eat what you can in 20 minutes --- and wait to eat until you are hungry again.

Eat your protein first, in case you can't eat very much or very often.

For me, I find that if I brush my teeth after meals, it lessens my desire to 'graze' or have 'head hunger' ---

When I had my first 2 fills, I felt like you did for 2 weeks, and then the time between meals went from 4 hours to 3 and 2 hours ---- and I got to go in for my fills 3 weeks apart.

this time (after fill number 3) I am 19 days from the fill, and I still feel restricted.  I will see the doctor on Tuesday -- and may (or may not) get more fluid.

Consider yourself lucky that you got some restriction on your first fill!!

Kath

PSJ71
on 8/29/09 3:02 pm - Blanchard, OK
Hi Kath,

Thank you for your response. I supposed that "restriction" lasted for all of one day! Because each day thereafter I have gotten hungry within 2 hours. I went ahead and scheduled my next fill for Monday. Thank goodness I have an aggressive doctor with fills. I just hope this next one gives me more restriction than this last one. I have been keeping up with my protein intake by logging and it does help so much. As far as grazing goes, when I get hungry I definitely have a tendency toward that. But when I feel nice and full, I don't even think about food. I am trying to keep the carbs down as well, as when I eat too many is when I have cravings.

I am just so ready to get some restriction. I am frustrated anyway and I know I shouldn't be, but I am just stuck at the same weight as I was a week after surgery. I fluctuate between 8 and 10 pounds lost, and it's truly driving me nuts! I have exercised at total of 137 minutes this week and I am going NO WHERE. This is weird to be, because in 2000, I lost a lot of weight on my own and actually ate more than what I do now and I am just baffled.

Once again, thank you so much for your input. We will see how this next fill goes. Keep your fingers cross for me!
  Starting WT:  275   Surgery Wt:  248.8   Current Wt: 202.5 Goal:  140

Most Active