3 days post-op and having discomfort

Pammie0568
on 8/24/09 12:20 pm
Hi everyone!
I was banded on 8/21/09. I was instructed to start phase 2 diet yesterday. I'm finding it difficult to get the liquids and protein down, but I'm doing it. I'm taking in about 2 oz every 15 minutes. However, I often have a great deal of belching and discomfort. Is this normal this soon out? Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!
Carolen
on 8/24/09 1:55 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I think it is fairly normal.  I also couldn't get all my liquids and protein in at first and I still make gurgling sounds a year out.  Good luck.

bella127
on 8/24/09 2:08 pm - uncasville, CT
REALIZE Band on 08/05/09 with
hello i had a rough first week i could barely drink anything..i am 3 weeks out and have no problem getting my fluid and protien in..i look forward to the mushy stage one more week of liquids..it gets better...hang in..

Rachel S.
on 8/24/09 6:14 pm - Montclair, NJ
What I found helpful to get the protein down was a "protein bullet" available at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. It's only 3oz and provides 45gms of Protein. I tried the powered protein in my drinks while I was on a clear liquid diet with Crystal Light, but it was beyond disgusting. I also tried a ready-to-drink bottle of Isopure, it was better, but still not palatable to me. I am so pleased I found the protein bullets for my protein intake!

Although it's difficult the first week, sounds like you are doing a great job of getting your liquids in.

The belching and discomfort initially is due to what happens during surgery. They place air via a nasogastric tube in your stomach. They are able to retrieve alot of it at the end, but not all of it. That's why when you were in the recovery room you may have felt that pressure in your upper chest, because of the remaining air in your stomach, causing that discomfort you mention.

Later on, hiccups and burping/belching can be relieved by chewing with mouth closed, avoid using straws, eating slowly and avoiding carbonated beverages.

I don't understand why you were instructed to being Phase/Stage 2 of eating (progressing from clear liquids to full liquids after 2 days post-op. I had my surgery on 8/18 and have been on clear liquids for 6 days and just started full liquids after my 1 week post-op visit. Maybe progressing to the full liquids was a little to soon for your stomach and you could try the clear liquids again, possibly.

Hope this helps!
Its_Me_Mark
on 8/24/09 7:05 pm
Pammie,

I had gas, belching and just general stomach discomfort for about 5-7 days after surgery. I started getting nervous thinking their was something wrong with me.

Turns out it was all normal. The doctor explained to me that they inflate the the stomach during surgery and it takes awhile to release all that gas. In addition, soreness and hangover from the anesthisia is quite common.

As for liquids going down, it takes time. I'm at 2-weeks out and can eat solids with no problem, but everyone is different. You just went through a major surgery and you must let your body heal. Reast, protien intake, and short walks will speed up the healing process.

I would suggest sipping throughout the day rather than 2 oz. every 15 minuetes. Experiment with your intakes and adjust accordingly. Your not far behind, just hang in their and let your body heal!

Regards,
Mark
Daily Suppliments
26g Whey Protien w/ 1% Milk (Twice a day)
1 Centrum Chewable Multi
1 CoQ10 50mg Soft Gel
8 Bottles of water

Pammie0568
on 8/25/09 7:43 am
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I'm actually feeling better today and plan to return to work tomorrow.  The discomfort has been much better today..I've been "sipping" all day instead of watching the clock for 15 minute increments. This seems to have helped.

I'm just starting this journey...looking forward to better days ahead....I'm sure it will be worth it in the end!

thanks again!
LIsa M.
on 8/27/09 10:20 am - Manahawkin, NJ
I'm glad your starting to feel better.  I am on my second day post op and having some left sided chest and back pain i know that is related to gas.  any suggestions what to do.... I've been walking around alot still there.  did anyone have loose stools this soon after surgery?
Rachel S.
on 8/27/09 10:41 am - Montclair, NJ
I had loose stools Day 4 - it was so annoying, but expected since all I was having was clear liquids.

Most Active