Excerise routines?

dolphin13glass
on 8/22/09 6:51 am - Thurmont, MD
Hi everyone. I am writing to ask you to share your exercise routines with me. I had my band put in on June 2, 09. I am down about 30 lbs without any excercise. I have had 2 fills and currently have 5 cc's in my 9 cc band. I really want to try Zumba and signed up for an 8 week class starting Sept. 19. I have spent money on gym fees before, but never went. I'm cautious to do it again with the fear I won't go. So I'm looking for ideas to do at home, and around my neighborhood that I won't have to pay for. I know I can walk, and I do plan on starting to. I want to be creative so I don't get bored, so any suggestions you have, I'd love to hear them

Thanks,
Nikki

_Lisa
on 8/22/09 10:08 am - Lexington, KY
I do jazzercise & have a blast, but for stuff to do at home I like pilates DVD's and the Jazzercise work out DVD's.  I've got 4-5 different DVDs that I can rotate to keep the workouts fresh. :)  
Pixieland
on 8/22/09 10:18 am - Davison, MI
Hi Nikki,
Zumba is a BLAST.  You will love it.  You can also buy the Zumba DVDs and www.zumba.com.  They are kind of expensive at about $80 I think...but you get a bunch of different CD's.  The 20 minute Ab workout CD is great!!
My girlfreinds and I also walk together a couple days each week.  Its a good time!!
Good Luck!!
Leslie

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

kathkeb
on 8/22/09 1:03 pm
I walk daily (about 40 minutes) and I work out on the elliptical at the gym 4x a week.

I strongly suggest you get into some type of routine prior to your Zumba class.
It is fun, and a great way to exercise, but it can be hard -- you want to be in pretty good shape to get through a class.

Walking -- if you have an ipod, you might want to try to walk for 'one more song' each day until you have built up to 45 minutes or an hour, or whatever your goal is.
Kath

dolphin13glass
on 8/22/09 10:45 pm - Thurmont, MD
This is great! I like the one more song idea :) I thought about doing something prior to the start of class too so I'm not so winded and pooped 10 minutes into the class, lol. Thanks for the ideas!!
Bo-belly
on 8/23/09 6:17 am
One thing I started doing was the Couch to 5K program.  (www.coolrunning.com and search for Couch to 5K) Let me tell you, I have NEVER been a runner.  But, I was getting bored with my exercise videos, and I find walking boring.  C25K teaches/trains you to run a 5 K in 9 weeks.  I'm on week 4 and doing well.  Have no plans on doing a 5K anytime soon, just interested in running instead of intervals of walking/running.  I'd be so proud of myself if I ran a complete 5K!  I'm proud that last workout I ran a full 1/2 mile!  I'm 235 pounds!  I started my entire journey at 297!  I would have NEVER thought I would run then!  Look at me now!  :)
297/274/218/160

The best inspiration is to not outdo others, but to outdo ourselves.

Its_Me_Mark
on 8/24/09 6:54 pm
Hello,

First off, congratulations on your recent weight-loss success. If you have lost 30lbs w/o any exercise in nearly 90 days, you can probably lose 50-60 lbs in that time with exercise added to your daily routine.

Before you go and make any investment in a workout program, invest in a heart-rate monitor (watch style). You can find them for less than $20 at Wal-Mart. Once you learn how to use this powerful tool, it will change the way you exercise, regardless of the workout program.

The key is to get your heart rate up and into the fat-burning zone(and staying there). It is very possible (and common) to under/over work-out, resulting in minimal weight loss. A heart rate monitor will let you know exactly when your body starts to burn fat, now how is that for motivation!!

Before you begin a work-out program, I would consider a walking program. It's free, can be done at your convienance, and will also help you start to recognize when your heart rate is in the fat burning zone. Just walking at a brisk pace can get you in that zone, and helped me lose 7 lbs. in 5 days!! (2 miles a day...1/2 mile warm-up, 1 mile brisk, 1/2 mile cool-down)

Consider a walking program your "trial period". If you can commit to a walking program for 1-2 weeks, your probably ready for the next step, a work-out program. If you can't commit for 1-2 weeks, your probably not going to commit to a lengthy gym membership. At least you didnt lose any money if you failed at the walking program.

If you succeeded at 2-weeks of walking, you should reward yourself with a work-out program! Most fat-burning/body toning programs do not require a gym membership. Rather a small investment in gym shoes, work-out mat, 5lb dumbells or resistance bands can be purchased for less than $50.

Now, all that is left is picking out a work-out program. Zumba is a fun and creative workout, but it is based on one thing, keeping your body in motion and getting your heart rate-up. Sound familiar? Yup, it's the fat burning zone! Remember, you were doing that for free just walking.

I prefer home work-out DVD's over gym memberships for the obvious reasons; privacy, my convienance, no contract commitment, a "no pressure-no competition environment" that usually presents itself at gyms, and I can learn at my own pace. The only advantage a gym has is the free weights or machines. Fortunately, those are not required for the work-out you and I are seeking.

I chose the "P90" workout program by Beach Body. You may have heard of the more common "P90X" which is on info-mercials quite often. That was a little too extreme for someone like me. The "P90" is the entry level program focused on novices or people trying to get back in shape. I like the idea of a 90-day program, it has a time table goal that is realistic. I also like this program because it also focuses on body toning.

My wife opted for the "Slim in 6" program, also by Beach Body. This program is more geared towards women and focuses on fat burning and body toning the middle and lower body areas with out adding bulk. She was a workout novice also, and has been extremely pleased with the type of sweat she gets from this program.

Both programs only require 30-40 minutes a day, come with calenders, diet plans, program guidlines, resistance bands, and on-line support. Best of all, they have a 60-day money back gaurantee! Now thats a deal!

If you go with these guidlines, you will have developed your own personal work-out program, with equipment, for around $100!

Well, thats my 2 cents. I hope this reply will help you make an educated decision, regardless of which way you go on your work-out program.

Regards,
Mark
Daily Suppliments
26g Whey Protien w/ 1% Milk (Twice a day)
1 Centrum Chewable Multi
1 CoQ10 50mg Soft Gel
8 Bottles of water

thepose2003
on 8/29/09 10:14 am - NJ

Hey Mark,

If it didn't help her it helped me I;m still in the looking for doc phase which is coming to an end soon. Not to sure the difference in bands ill find out later gotta get a doc first. I never thought of that getting heart rate thing up and I belong to a gym (don't go) but belong. Anyways that is all about to change and I will get that heart rate machine thanks.

Kim U.
on 8/25/09 12:19 am
Have you tried the wii fit? I got one before I had surgery and have to admit it made me a little sad because each time I got on it I would loose 1lb then gain 3lbs. Now that I've had the surgery I'm always down and it gives you a little whoo/great job/ encouragement. Plus the games and stuff are fun you don't really feel like your working out but you are moving and burning calories. I plan to buy the wii active soon too. I've heard good things about it.

I'm also doing the couch to 5k program but it is taking me awhile to get threw it. I had to stay on week one for over 2 weeks just because running 60 seconds is way harder than I thought it would be. Now that I'm onto week 2 I'm feeling much better about it and more confidant about keeping up with it. The website the other lady gave is great they even tell you to only run 3xs a week for 30 mins at a time. Really easy to fit that into your day if you are wanting to do it.

If you go with a friend to the zumba classes that might help hold you accountable for it too. Remember you invested money into it for your health. Same reason you got the band in the first place. USE YOUR TOOLS you will be so proud of yourself!
199 here I come! 

Rachel S.
on 8/28/09 11:56 am - Montclair, NJ
My daughter has a Wii - I'm so glad you mentioned the Wii Fit and Wii Active! I will have to get that!! Thanks alot :)

Most Active