Diary of a post-op patient...

williby
on 8/13/09 12:32 am - Casselberry, FL
Mark

I am jealous

I am in my third week and have just started pureed foods.
I guess each surgeon is different.
my first week was clear fluids, except for protein shakes from day 2
second week fluids with one yoghurt a day
this week is pureed foods
next week is soft foods

I am hungry, but told it is normal, my first fill should be in another 3 weeks

Carrie

Rachel DiLo
on 8/13/09 2:18 am
hello,
   i tried to atkins shakes and the slim fast shakes. then my RN told me that they didnt have enough protein. she said to drink isopure (which i absolutely hate lol) or world wide protein shakes. she pointed out that they have 30-40g protein for the same amount of calories in the others. i did some shopping at costco and found premiere protien shakes with 30g protein and they dont taste bad or chalky. hope this helps =)

-Rachel
*~*RacheL*~*

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past."

BahamaMami16
on 8/14/09 1:32 pm - Wilmington, DE
Revision on 01/17/18
First Mark congrats on your surgery. I was banded on 8/11 SOOOO I feel your pain   My first day and 1/2 home was torture.  However, yesterday afternoon I mixed a Crystal Light Pomegranate w/Cherry mixed with Protein, maschino(sp?) cherries (5), and cherry vanilla ice cream (I know that part is bad ) Smoothie.  It was SOOOOOOO YUMMY!!! and I wanted something I could stomach.  I also made a Mango smoothie yesterday and I couldn't stomach it.   Today I mixed Optisource Strawberry (nasty by it's self IMHO) with SF French Vanilla Organic Yogurt and Dole's Coconut and Pineapple juice.  IT was sooooooo good!!   I figure if I have to do this for three more weeks I need to drink stuff I can stomach.  My last mixture tasted like a Strawberry Daiquiri or for those closer to Miami a Miami Vice (which is my favorite drink).  I was able to get in more protein and enjoy my drink.  For my night time snack I had half a cup of SF Jello w/a spoonful of mango sorbet and a dollop of SF Whipped Cream.  That was good too.   
I guess it's all about being creative and drinking things that are tasty to your palate.
Like you (although I didn't act on it) I am craving spaghetti and can't wait until I can have soft food. I've have already started putting together my menus .  I'm already picturing making mashed potatoes with a little protein mixed in and a little bit of cheese. Mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Good luck!!
Keep us posted!

HW~242, SW~226, CW~225, GW~146
Living my life like it's Golden!!

Its_Me_Mark
on 8/14/09 4:02 pm
Well, it's been 5 days since surgery and I noticed the largest incision never fully closed. Only 1/2 of the incision has turned into a hairline scar. The other half has remained opened. WTF!?

All the other incisions have since closed and look to be future hair line scars. When this does heal, it will obviously be a large ugly scar. Looks like a stomach tatoo is on call for next summer!!

Anyways, on a more serious note, I'm concerned about that open incison. I went back to the doctors and the nurse kind of freaked. She coverd back up with Sterile strips and called the doctor and he prescribed and antibiotic just to be safe. Needless to say I am a bit pissed because if this goes bad, their will not be a second operation!! Crossing fingers and praying for no infection.

~M
Daily Suppliments
26g Whey Protien w/ 1% Milk (Twice a day)
1 Centrum Chewable Multi
1 CoQ10 50mg Soft Gel
8 Bottles of water

blndrts38
on 8/15/09 5:31 am
Anyways, on a more serious note, I'm concerned about that open incison. I went back to the doctors and the nurse kind of freaked. She coverd back up with Sterile strips and called the doctor and he prescribed and antibiotic just to be safe. Needless to say I am a bit ****ed

Mark I am sure your DR told you this...but mine where i abit like that for a week after surgury. Keep it clean...and keep your activity level very low. Give your body a chance to heal. Can be very boring but you need to think in terms of your whole than just the next few weeks and days. Which can be so hard since we are living in the day. All we are going through right now right after being banded seems so tough and long..but you can do and give yourself the time and rest to heal.
All the best-
Karen E
banded 7/20/09
Its_Me_Mark
on 8/24/09 7:38 pm
Well, I'm officialy at 2-weeks out and have lots to report...

First, my incisions are healing fine now. It seems the larger incision just takes a bit longer to heal than the smaller ones. A few days of extereme rest and proper care helped speed things along. On a side note, the liquid adhesive the nurse applied before the bandages caused a nasty blister and allergic reaction. It is now on the decline.

As for weight-loss. I am currently at 314lbs. It seems my weight loss has slowed, but this is mostly because I opted for rest over immediate exercise at this time. Once I begin light cardio and walking, I know my losses will start to improve.

I have noticed that after only 2-weeks, I can eat solid foods again. Unfortunately, this has led me to some painful experiances as I have twice reached my intake limit and had bad chest pains for about 45 mins. Although I have found that I can eat more than I originally thought, it is remarkably less than what I used to eat. My first band adjustment next week should take care of that problem.

Until next time...

Mark

Daily Suppliments
26g Whey Protien w/ 1% Milk (Twice a day)
1 Centrum Chewable Multi
1 CoQ10 50mg Soft Gel
8 Bottles of water

Most Active