Diary of a post-op patient...

Its_Me_Mark
on 8/11/09 3:22 pm
Well, I just had surgery yesterday and day-2 is coming to an end. I am doing the walking around the house to avoid blood clots, but I have noticed hunger is starting to creep in. This is probably because I have been drinking clear liquids and broth for about 4 days and totally want some solid food.

I am supposed to be cleared for Jello pudding, and protien drinks tomorrow, but I started today to try and curb the hunger. Bad decision.

In addition to the water I have been drinking, I had two jello pudding sugar free snack packs. One was enough, the second made my stomach upset and kind of gassy. I will definately take it slow tomorrow.
Daily Suppliments
26g Whey Protien w/ 1% Milk (Twice a day)
1 Centrum Chewable Multi
1 CoQ10 50mg Soft Gel
8 Bottles of water

Its_Me_Mark
on 8/11/09 3:24 pm
OK, so is it just me or does it seem impossible to drink 64oz. of water a day?! I have to sip liquids and it seems like it takes me an hour just to drink one 16 oz. bottle.
Daily Suppliments
1 Centrum Chewable Multi
1 CoQ10 50mg Soft Gel
8 Bottles of water

PSJ71
on 8/12/09 2:52 am - Blanchard, OK
Hi Mark,

Yes, I was in the same dilemma postop. I kept thinking how in the heck does ANYONE ever drink 64 ounces or more a day? I am 5 weeks out and can definitely drink 64 ounces and more. In the beginning your stomach is swollen from the trauma of surgery, but as the swelling goes down, you will definitely notice an increase in your hunger, which is hard. You will also notice you can drink more water. Good luck to you!
  Starting WT:  275   Surgery Wt:  248.8   Current Wt: 202.5 Goal:  140

kathkeb
on 8/12/09 12:24 pm
Hey Mark,

It took me about 2 weeks to actually be able to drink 64 oz in a day.

I had a hiatal hernia repair during my band surgery -- and it hurt to drink.

I just did the best I could --- tried to get in 4 ounces per hour -- so, if you can drink 16 oz in an hour you are doing much better than I did.

I just worked every day to get a little more -- and eventually I was there.

Congrats on your surgery -- do not be discouraged by your hunger --- your body is healing and needs protein to help it along.

Kath

Its_Me_Mark
on 8/11/09 4:08 pm
Well, I found a 4-pack of Slim fast optima on sale for $4.00 at Save-Mart. I bought 3 packs. I'm not a NUT, so can someone tell me if these will be accepatble to drink during my full liquids period?

Serving Size 1 serving

Amount per serving
Calories 180 Calories from Fat 54

Hide Daily Values % Daily Value*
Total Fat 6g 9%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Cholesterol 5mg 2%
Sodium 200mg 8%
Total Carbohydrates 25g 8%
Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugars 18g
Protein 10g

Vitamin A 35% Vitamin C 100%
Calcium 50% Iron 15%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000
Daily Suppliments
1 Centrum Chewable Multi
1 CoQ10 50mg Soft Gel
8 Bottles of water

wildheart63
on 8/12/09 4:28 am - IL
i drink slim fast all the time as my boost of protein...i have a shake every morning with frozen fruit blended in...it;s thick and wonderfull.
go for it!
lori

Mary B.
on 8/11/09 11:30 pm - Southern, MD
Hey Mark!
Congratulations on your surgery! Sounds like you are getting along well.

Hopefully you are starting your full liquid stage. I ate yogurt, pudding and soup. Yes, I had a hard time too getting in so much liquid. I just tired to carry it around with me and sip. Good job getting your walking in. As for the Slim Fast...IMHO they are too high in sugar. I would try the Atkins shakes.

The Isopure drinks are pretty good and are PACKED with protein. They have them at GNC. My only recommendation with those are to take a few sips then put it back in the fridge. I tried sipping on it all day and it sarted to taste nasty.

Again...congrats!

ATKINS SHAKE:

ISOPURE:

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Its_Me_Mark
on 8/12/09 1:32 am
Well, I had breakfast this morning. Needless to say, it was uneventful. 2 tablespoons of bland cream of wheat, a centrum chewable, and a shot of sugarless applejuice.

Is anyone else hearing funny gas noises coming from there stomach? I'm not sure if it's gas or hunger growls. Just weird.
Daily Suppliments
1 Centrum Chewable Multi
1 CoQ10 50mg Soft Gel
8 Bottles of water

Mel is losing it
on 8/12/09 1:54 am - Lakeport, CA

ya, i had some loud growls in my stomach after surgery...but it went away within a few days. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to go to work with how loud it seemed at first :) I assumed that it was hunger growls...especially since I was barely able to eat at first. Congrats on surgery!!

Melissa

Melissa 11cc Realize Band

Experienced a leak in my port, and had no restriction for over 9 months. Had leak repair surgery on 1/31/11 and am back on my journey again! :)

Its_Me_Mark
on 8/12/09 4:08 pm
Well, day 3 is in the books. I am happy to be eating puddings, lite yogurt and creamy soups. Much better than broth (eegh!) and water. Also, the Crystal Lite frozen pops were a nice surprise.

I went and purchased some Centrum chewables and Cream of wheat for breakfast. Can I add 'splenda' and 'I cant belive it's not butter' to the Cream of Wheat? Otherwise its just bland mush. Until I get conformation, I'll go with Carnation instant breakfast.

Still noticing lots of burping and gas. When will this end?

PS. I took a bite of spaghetti today (I know, I know) and it went down with no problem (I chewed like crazy). My band must not have a saline in it yet.
Daily Suppliments
1 Centrum Chewable Multi
1 CoQ10 50mg Soft Gel
8 Bottles of water

Most Active