Went to a seminar doc no longer does band!

ready4lif_2009
on 8/6/09 1:37 am
I went to a seminar for a band and it turns out the doc no longer does the band. Every part of my body was like get up and go. But I stayed. This doc only does Gastric. He was a great doc from what I could see and has a great support system. Based on all of my complications, Diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apena, high cholestrol, etc. it seems like the bypass would be a great choice. I have been scared out of my mind since my friend died after the gastric thats why I chose the band. But now I am so confused. I dont know what to do?
melslongjourney
on 8/6/09 1:53 am
I feel you on the confusion, it's really personal choice. I am looking at the band because I don't have anything going on except the extra weight. I also didn't want to change my body the way bypass does but I have talked to many folks who have done both and they are happy with their choices. So whatever you choose as you are doing talk to others here and maybe throught the doctors support group they will help you so much. :)

~Melissa~
SW/326 CW/224 GW/175
~ 4cc added in 11cc realize- C band~ 02/08/10~
~1 cc added 03/08/10
~1 cc added 05/03/10
~ 1cc added 07/26/10
~ .05 cc added 09/09/10
~ .05 cc added 01/06/11
~ .25 cc added 06/06/11

MissRachel
on 8/6/09 6:17 pm
I wouldn't worry about the doctor's credibility if he does not do the bands.  My surgeon's partner doesn't do anything but bypass and he is excellent.  He was actually the first surgeon I consulted with and then decided on the band instead.  I would be worried if a doctor was trying to hard to push me toward gastric bypass without giving me a good reason why.  But if you have that many health issues and a lot of weight to lose then I would have a personal consultation with him and ask him a lot of questions.  When I had my consults I had a page and a half of questions to ask.  And ask him why he doesn't do the band anymore.  You have every right to know how many surgeries he's done, how many revisions, rate of complications, etc.  And then talk to other surgeons for your 2nd and 3rd opinions and see what you think.  You can't ask too many questions or have too much information. 

It is so personal!  It's a choice that you have to be 110% sure about.  I made my decision after talking to people 5+ years post-op with various procedures.  People who are so new to it are still in that "honeymoon" phase for the most part.  I wanted to know feedback from people who were long-term with their weight loss surgeries.  Ask the surgeon for referrals to people who would be willing to talk to you.  And I talked to all kinds of people at the support group meetings I attended pre-op.  I just couldn't make a permanent change to my intestinal tract - I couldn't come to terms with the life-long side effects. But I have a different situation - I don't have sleep apnea, hbp, etc.  If I had the additional issues going on I might have made a different decision. 

I wish you the absolute best!  You will know it when you find the right answer for yourself. 
Take care!

Tenorwb
on 8/10/09 4:17 am, edited 8/10/09 4:17 am - NJ
You need to examine all your options.   The duodenal switch is a vastly superior surgical option in terms of the resolution of co-morbid conditions, the amount of weight lost and the lack of long-term regain.   This is supported by just about every major medical study done.   You can read more about it on www.dsfacts.com or www.duodenalswitch.com   You can also look up these articles on the National Institute of Health's database for peer-reviewed medical articles.  Pubmed.  Please visit us at the duodenal switch board.   Any major surgery has a risk of death.  The quality of life as a DS patient is also superior.  You have normal openings to your stomach at both ends.  This means: You will have no abnormal chewing requirements, you can drink fluids with your meals, nothing gets stuck, you can take NSAIDS (aspirin, alleve, motrin, etc.),  there is no dumping nor worries about marginal ulcers.   DS patients eat 3.000-4.000 calories a day and don't gain weight.   We don't have to worry about low fat or restrictive diets either.   We are required to take supplements get regular blood work (to track the supplementation) and eat at least 100g of protein a day.   Remember too, that doctors want to sell you their services.   Every patient is a cash cow, so they naturally steer you to what they do.

Good Luck whatever you chose.

Peace,

William

To teach something is to have it.  To have something you must be it.   Teach peace, for that is what you are. 
To listen to me sing:   www.youtube.com/watch

jenjengrins
on 8/10/09 11:27 pm - Olathe, KS
Before I got the surgery, I did a lot of research.  Though you should look into all options, no one can tell you what is best for you.  If the doctor only does Gastric look at other doctors.  I went to three different doctor's and found the best one for me.  You should just shop around and see who may fit your needs.

I wanted to clear some things up from Mr. DSr. 

The BS about the quality of life as a DS patient is also superior is a load of crap and it ****** me off that someone thinks they have a better quality of life than I do.  

As he said, the abnormal chewing requirements - the nutritionist before I even figured out what I wanted said that if people would chew their food that would be one area to help in weight loss.  Yes you have to chew chew, but it becomes just a habit.

Drinking during meals - you get in a habit like brushing your teeth and it gets easy after time.  A lot of cultures like in Germany, tend not to drink during meals and have a noticeably difference in weight loss.

I can take NSAIDS ... no one said I couldn't.

I don't dump with a lapband.

And have no ulcers.  

DS patients eat 3-4k calories a day!  Wow... and they don't gain weight.  Maybe he didn't but to eat that many calories you have to expend them somehow.  I mean 3500 calories is a pound.  Your body needs about 800 calories to have your organs function.  I mean I exercise but goodness at that rate I'd never lose eating 4000 calories.  Even programs like weigh****chers don't have you eat 4000 calories at my current weight. 

I'm not on a low fat or restrictive diet.  I just can't eat breads, pastas (other than wheat), etc.  Now I watch what I eat and eat natural foods like proteins, fruits, and veggies. 

ALL WLS procedures require supplements - durrr.  I even believe that most doctors like people to take a supplement anyways even not having WLS.

I am not steering anyone to Lapband and never have gone into other surgical forums, but I gotta say some DSr's are probably some of the most different out spoken folks on this site.

7.8 cc in a 10 cc band, Started at 378 lbs
Goodbye 300 forever and ever! 07/18/2009

Tummy Tuck August 13, 2010

amystone
on 9/4/09 5:38 am

My mother-in-law died due to complications after having a by-pass. I remember it like it was yesterday. She was so excited smiling and talking about the weight that she was going to lose. Well, long story short.... she had the surgery.... was put in a room...... complications started..... transferred to ICU....... got worse and was transferred to CCU....... sent back to ICU........ worse again........ back to CCU where after almost 2 and a half months in the hospital, she died.
That's one of the main reasons why I chose the band. That and my husband said no way, no how.

ICU - Intensive Care Unit
CCU - Critical Care Unit
Most Active