Share your favorite pureed/soft food recipe

MisssBrown
on 8/4/09 8:24 am
Hi all! 

I had my 2 week check up today and everything is fine.  I go back on 8/31 for my first fill - so I'm looking forward to that!

Starting tomorrow I can eat pureed/soft food (like mashed potatoes, etc) for the next two weeks.  So, I'm looking for some new recipes that all you old timers (haha! ) may have enjoyed.

Thanks! :D
skelly
on 8/4/09 9:39 am - Garland, TX
REALIZE Band on 05/04/09 with

At two weeks, my soft food diet could include ground meats and cooked beans.  So one of the first things I had was some Wendy's chili! 

Tonight, I am on soft foods because of the fill I had this week.  I'm making turkey meatballs with marinara sauce and melted cheese.  My family will have pasta with them.

Other faves are omlettes, sloppy joe on a baked potato, and meatloaf.

If you are strictly on purees, then I would recommend lentil soup (high protein) and baked sweet potatoes.

meganm
on 8/4/09 10:02 am - monroe, WA
My absolute favorite food in the world is black beans! They have lots of protein and fiber.

Here is a simple recipe that I really enjoyed.

Black Bean Soup

3 cans Black Beans
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1Tbs. olive oil
1 can chicken broth
1Tbs. chili powder
1tsp oregano
1/4tsp. salt
1/4tsp pepper

First, Out of the 3 cans of beans, puree 1 can, liquid and all. Drain another can and leave third can undrained. So, that's one blended, one drained, and the other undrained. Is undrained even a word? Oh well.
Second, Saute onions with minced garlic in oil. Stir in all beans, broth and spices.
Third, Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer, stir often.

When you are ready to serve, top with fat-free sour cream, reduced-fat cheese, salsa, etc.

Yeilds 6 bandster portions; 230 calories per serving of soup alone

For other soft food ideas, go here.
swampthing1169
on 8/5/09 2:21 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 09/06/12
Wow that is some great advice/recipes. i wasn't ooking forward to getting to that stage, but now I think it won't be so bad.
kathkeb
on 8/5/09 9:33 am
i don't care for beans, so my favorite at that stage was the Baked Ricotta

8 oz Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup parmesean cheese
1 egg
1/2 cup marinara sauce (I use jarred)

mix together, top with some shredded mozzerella cheese and bake for about 20 minutes at 400 - 425 degrees

It is like the inside of lasagna ---

I could only eat a few tablespoons of this at a time - so it lasted for several meals.

Once I could have ground beef, I made some small meatballs and then mashed them with a fork and ate it with this also
Kath

MisssBrown
on 8/5/09 10:11 am
Thanks everyone! 

I'm doing much better now that I can eat something that isn't liquid.  :)

I'm off to search for some more bean recipes - I think I bought like 10 bags last night at the grocery store. Ha!
MissRachel
on 8/5/09 5:10 pm
I'm so glad you're doing well and onto the next stage!  It's pretty good on this stage, actually.  I am doing fine with it!

I also love beans and my favorite is the super easy combo of Fat Free Refried Beans, Low Fat Cheddar Cheese, and Taco Sauce - microwave it all and get it hot.  Then I top it with a little avocado and fat free sour cream.  It's like the inside of a burrito supreme without the wrap.  A little bit goes a long way!  I also do this one using black beans.

And for my sweet tooth I take a fat free, sugar free chocolate pudding cup, add chocolate protein powder, mash up some banana in it and ENJOY!  It's kind of thick but so yummy.  Or instead of the banana I'll put a little low fat, no sugar added peanut butter and a packet of Splenda to the pudding and protein powder - it's really good.  But I don't eat a lot of it - just a little as a treat!

Take care,
Rachel

Mary B.
on 8/5/09 10:39 pm - Southern, MD

Do you have a WaWa near you? They have Chili, meatballs and I think beef stew. They serve it over mashed potatos or mac n cheese. Yah...I got the chili over potatos. Its a huge serving and I think it lasted me 4 days or so! I tried the meatballs but not the stew.

I tried the baked ricotta thing too, but I used what I had 'in stock' at home. I had some creamy tomato soup. I mixed the ricotta and soup together and left a little for the top...then I put a little shredded cheese on top and baked it until the cheese was brown. Yum!

I also ate grits with a fried egg on top and a slice of cheese. Make sure to chew the egg well.

Good luck and congrats!!

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Most Active