problems eating meat

Mel is losing it
on 7/31/09 6:39 am, edited 7/31/09 9:00 am - Lakeport, CA
Hi, I am 13 week post-op and I just had my second fill last Friday. I am up to 7cc's. I didn't have much restriction at all at 5cc's. I have been trying to eat moist chicken this week and I have been having issues with it...but the ground turkey goes down just fine.  Should I stay away from the chicken? Any alternatives/suggestions? Thank you!

Melissa

Melissa 11cc Realize Band

Experienced a leak in my port, and had no restriction for over 9 months. Had leak repair surgery on 1/31/11 and am back on my journey again! :)

Mary B.
on 7/31/09 7:13 am - Southern, MD

WOW Melissa! You hae 7cc by your second fill already?? Thats quick!

I have a hard time with chicken too. I just had an unfill to take me down to 7cc (11cc Realize C band) I havent even thought about steak.

Its very common to have trouble with meats. Ive been eating chili, Morningstar Farms black bean burgers, fish, tuna, canned chicken to make chicken salad, Mini meatloaves made in muffin pan (perfect size and cooks quickly), "taco pie" made with ground turkey.

Tonight Im making beef stew/soup. Im making it with a ground chuck roast and I pulled all the meat to shred it. I added potatos, onion, carrots and will add green peas when its almost done. Im hoping that will go down well since its been in the crock pot all day.

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

topaz11
on 7/31/09 7:23 am
Mary your menu's sound yummy! Are you willing to share your taco pie and /beef stew/soup receipes?
Mel is losing it
on 7/31/09 7:51 am, edited 7/31/09 7:55 am - Lakeport, CA
Thanks Mary! I appreciate all your great suggestions! Ya, I am surprised too that I am already up to 7, but I am glad at the same time!  I think I will just give up on the regular chicken...I got a little burned out on the canned chicken so I will just have to start finding different varieties like that black bean burger.  I would love your recipe for taco pie if you have time to share. That is a great idea with the mini muffin pans too. Thanks again! :)
Mary B.
on 7/31/09 8:20 am - Southern, MD
Im not much of a recipe person, I just kind of throw stuff together...but I can tell you what I did!

Taco Pie...
I pack of Jenny-O ground turkey.  Comes pre-seasoned with taco seasoning. Or I guess you could add your own.
Guacamole (not sure what kind it was, but got it in the deli section)
Newman's Own Spicy Black Bean Salsa (mmm, its the BEST)
1 can black beans
Shredded mixed blend mexican style cheese
Lite Sour Cream

Preheat oven to 375. Brown turkey meat and put in the bottom of a casserole dish (I used the square one...lol, not sure of the dimensions)
Drain beans and simmer in the turkey pan. I added a little Adobo seasoning. Just warm thru then layer the black beans on top of the turkey meat.
Layer on1/2 (thats all I had left) jar of the salsa

I baked this for about 20 minutes until it startd to bubble.

Add a layer of guacamole and top with cheese. I baked it another 15 minutes or so until the cheese browned. serve with a dollop of sour cream.

If I had a can of corn I would have thrown that in too...but I was out...awww.

IT WAS AWESOME!! If I do say so myself

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Mel is losing it
on 7/31/09 9:00 am, edited 7/31/09 9:00 am - Lakeport, CA
Sounds yummy, thanks!!
topaz11
on 8/1/09 5:40 am
Thanks for the receipe. I like trying new things.  Still on liquid diet.  However, I am going to save for later:)
meganm
on 7/31/09 2:13 pm - monroe, WA
The only way I can eat chicken is if it is cooked in a crockpot. If you don't already have one, it is a wise investment. You can find a really small one, perfect for one pound of meat, at Wal-mart for like 10 bucks. The chicken comes out so tender...it practically shreds itself.

Here are some of my favorite recipes.

White Chicken Chili
1 pkg. McCormick's White Chicken Chili Seasoning Mix
1 Tbsp. oil
1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 cup water
1 can white beans, undrained

I used my slow cooker to cook the chicken with 1/2 cup of salsa and then I shred it. I find it more tender this way.
Stir in seasoning mix, water and beans. Bring to a boil; cover. Reduce heat and simmer 10 mins, stirring occasionally.

Makes 8 Bandster portions with 170 calories and 18g of protein per serving without toppings.

Chicken Alfredo

This recipe is so simple. It's 1lb chicken breast. I cooked the chicken with a squirt or two of fat-free Italian dressing in a slow cooker first. Then I chopped it up and add 1 cup of reduce fat Cheesy Ragu Light Parmesan Alfredo.
Makes 6 bandster portions. 135 calories per serving with 19g protein.

Salsa Chicken

1lb Chicken Breast
8oz (1/2 jar) your favorite salsa
1 can of White Beans
1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese

Cut chicken breasts into cubes and place in slow cooker. Cover chicken with salsa. Cook 5-6 hours on low heat. 30 mins before serving add beans and cheese. Stir and break up chicken breasts.

I hope this helps!
Megan
topaz11
on 8/1/09 5:42 am
Megan your receipes sound yummy too! I Bet it keeps the meat moist.
Mel is losing it
on 8/4/09 6:27 am - Lakeport, CA
Thanks Megan for the recipes! I will definitely start using my crockpot again and dust it off! :)
Most Active