port showing too much

on 7/31/09 11:15 pm
My port  is really starting to show. (I don't have a lot of abd fat it has all gone south!)  Anyone gotten the port moved under the muscle (not really sure how that would make much difference as it is still there???)
Jean M.
on 8/3/09 5:10 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Unless you have some idiosyncrasy in the structure of your abdominal muscles, it is possible to have your port position changed.  If you post about port replacement on the lap-band forum you will find some bandsters (like kerniec) who had their regular port changed to a low-profile port (which involves more surgery, of course - often people combine port surgery with a tummy tuck or panniculectomy).  (Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Realize band system feature a low-profile port?)

If you just had your band surgery 3 months ago, it's probably too soon to worry about this issue.  Unless your port is causing you discomfort (rubbing against your clothing or furniture), I'd like to suggest that you wait this out some more, especially if you are still losing weight.  My body has changed a lot in the 2 years since my band surgery and the 1 year since I reached my goal weight.  Because of weight loss, exercise, strength training, and a gradual redistribution of fat and muscle,  my abdomen and port area look quite different now (I think they've improved).

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

jla734
on 8/9/09 11:18 am - DE
Jean did your ab fat all go away? My has shrunk ALOT but then again I workot 8 to 10 miles a day and lift weights. I was finally starting to feel better about myself I have been getting into some size 12 pants I stand 5 ft 4 1/4 inches. Then someone suggested I would look so much better at a size 7. I am a large framed person. Now I can't get this size 7 stuff off my mind. Please check my profile out and let me know if you can see a difference.

Jean M.
on 8/10/09 12:30 am
Revision on 08/16/12
No, all my ab fat didn't go away.  It might have if I had lost more weight, but when I got to my goal weight I felt that I would look scrawny at a lower weight.  I'm 55 years old, have always tended to have a fatty abdomen, and don't care about ever wearing a bikini again, so it wasn't a big issue for me.

Who was it who suggested that you'd look so much better at a size 7?  How can this person "know" that?  Why does it matter what size other people think you should wear?  If someone told me, "Jean, you look OK in that size 10 (the smallest size I've achieved), but you'd look so much better in a size 4," I'd have to say, "You could be right, but I happen to like me at a size 10."

And setting goals based on clothing sizes is just too frustrating for me.  I know people who weigh 30-40 lbs more than I do, and wear the same size as I do.  I don't even consistently fit into the same size in every brand of clothing - size 10 jeans in Brand A, size 14 in Brand B - because clothing sizing is so inconsistent.  Size 7 is a junior size.  Junior sizes are cut smaller in the bust and hips than misses sizes, because they're for JUNIORS (teens).  If you are a large-framed person, do you think a junior garment in any size is even realistic for you?

So, instead of torturing yourself with this "I should be a size 7" business, set your Before photo alongside a Now photo, study how much your body has changed already (which is certainly obvious to me!), and celebrate that.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

jla734
on 8/10/09 4:32 am - DE
  Wow,I did not know a size 7 was a Junior size. Thanks for the advice. I still see myself as much bigger then I am.

kerniec
on 8/3/09 6:09 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
I second everything Jean said, including the part about your port being low profile..........I only got mine replaced, and insurance helped pay, because it was painful.  Yes, it was kind of ugly, but the pain is the reason I could afford to get it moved.

I wasn't a candidiate for a panniculectomy, otherwise I might have tried to combine them.  My surgeon said I don't have enough skin, I would have to see a PS for a TT (tummy tuck).  I'm happy to have that said..........

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Most Active