Personal Trainer...and another dilemma

KelB2000
on 7/27/09 6:35 am

Ok so I have two dilemmas....

1) I really want to hire a  personal trainer to help me jump start my journey toward my goal weight once I'm approved to exercise (I'm 2 weeks out with my post op on Thursday) but here's the issue....I don't know how or where to find a good one in my area who is sensitive to and knowledgeable about bariatric surgery.
2) It dawned on me me that it might be a good idea to post for suggestions on the NJ forum of OH since that's where I'm from...However, as I've decided to keep my surgery as my own private business for now from most friends and family, I can't post anything on the NJ forum because someone I know frequently posts there( she had RNY not band), and she is NOT someone that I would prefer knows my business. Basically, news of my band would spread quicker than an STD on a college campus...And I just don't need that right now. Part of me wishes I had chosen a more ambiguous username and not posted a picture....argh

What to do......?

grandbaychick
on 7/27/09 6:59 am - Grand Bay, AL
I don't have an answer about the personal trainer but if you want to post on the NJ forum you could always make a new profile so you could post there whenever you wanted.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck with finding one though!
“Whether you think you can or think you can’t… You’re right.?  - Henry Ford
Height-5'10 Heaviest-335 Weight at surgery-315 Goal 199 

daisy560
on 7/27/09 8:28 am, edited 7/27/09 8:29 am - NE
Hey there Kel,

If you don't know any trainers, or don't know anyone who can give you a referral, join a gym and checkout their trainers.  Every gym has personal trainers either in house or affliated with them that they can refer you to.  Here's a good article on things to look for in a personal trainer  exercise.about.com/cs/forprofessionals/a/choosetrainer.htm 

The biggest piece of advise i'd give you is you don't have to settle on the first person you meet.  Training is a BIG investment so you want to make sure that whoever you hire really works for their money.  Don't get suckered for the HOT trainer also, some gyms will only hire hot, but maybe not as qualified, trainers to keep their clients 'interested'. 

I would suggest also looking for someone with an degree in Physical Therapy or Physical Education.  They usually have experience with people who've been through surgery / injuries and have the knowledge to work around your limitations. 

- Patti
True Change comes from within. 

isurn2000
on 7/27/09 12:31 pm, edited 7/27/09 12:49 pm
I actually have a B.S. in exercise science and a minor in community health education and I am also a RN. My best advice is that you make sure that they have a degree not just a certification. I was trained in how to take care of/ train people with medical issues. All you have to do is ask to see the profiles of the trainers in your facility and then make the best decision! College degree is the best!!! ACSM ( american council of sports medicine) is even better! I hope that this helps you out!

Heidi
Mary B.
on 7/28/09 10:50 am - Southern, MD
Hmmm, besides checking credentials like the OP suggested, how about making appts and trying out a few...or at least interview them? That way you could see who you 'fit' with.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

isurn2000
on 7/30/09 1:03 pm
ops sorry, I thought that would be a given.
Most Active