Milk-question-newbie

waterflowers2009
on 7/26/09 10:16 am
well, today is officially my 4th day post op and I finally felt hunger.  I was kinda hoping I would never feel it.

I had one of those Atkins shakes for lunch with lots of water inbetween, but the hunger finally surfaced a few hours later, gotta beef up the protein I guess.

Now for my question-I read that "fat-free" milk was considered a liquid like water.  Don't mean to be ignorant, but  gotta aks if that is true?
daisy560
on 7/26/09 10:25 am - NE
It is technically a liquid and you can use it to count towards your hydration goal per day, but remember it's still calories so moderation is key. 

You know what really helped me with the hunger post op? Greek yogurt.  There's TONS of protein (17g per 6oz) and since it's so thick, it really quells the hunger pangs.  At least it did for me :) 

- Patti
True Change comes from within. 

MissRachel
on 7/26/09 2:08 pm
Hey Patti!  Where did you find your Greek yogurt?  I've looked in all the grocery stores here and I must not be looking in the right place?  I've looked in the yogurt area, dairy case, where the cottage cheese is, etc.  Even the military commissary didn't have it that I could find.  I hate to sound so ignorant - but that stuff has alluded me. What the heck am I looking for? LOL
Rachel

waterflowers2009
on 7/26/09 2:14 pm
Miss Rachel:
I did not see the yogurt for the protein amount Patti mentioned, but I did see one called Fage 0% Yogurt that has 15 protein.  Looks like it can be purchased at Trader Joes or Whole Foods.
I looked it up on the internet and that was what I found out.

Hope it helps.
Looks like the one Patti mentioned is even better though!

Deborah
MissRachel
on 7/26/09 6:28 pm
Thanks Deborah!  I appreciate it.  I'm going on a treasure hunt this week and see what I can find! :)

KelB2000
on 7/27/09 12:39 pm
Hi Rachel,

I too used Greek yogurt as a source of protein and to kick my hunger pangs. The brand I like is called Chobani. 0%. It's a white container with hot pink lettering. I know for sure that both Kings and Shoprite carry it. Kings has a better selection but is more expensive. It should be in the dairy case near the other yogurts and cottage cheeses. Fage 0% is also good. Good luck on your hunt!
waterflowers2009
on 7/26/09 2:09 pm
Thanks so much!
I am gonna try that!

yes, I was thinking about the calories, and was going to start tracking them.

I didn't realize there was a yogurt so high in protein-thanks again!
daisy560
on 7/26/09 4:01 pm - NE
I get Fage 2% at Whole foods, it's over in the dairy section.  I don't get the one with fruit or honey, just plain and it has 17g per container with is F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S. 

If you can't find Fage, pretty much every dairy section should carry greek yogurt, even Walmart.  It may not be in the individually sized cups, but you should be able to find it down in the larger quart containers.   Greek yogurt is a bit more expensive then regular yogurt, but imo it's totally worth it. 
- Patti
True Change comes from within. 

Most Active