I think my past is catching up with me

sillygirl18
on 7/25/09 11:12 pm

I'm sorry for those of you that already know my story - but I'll repeat only the essentials. 
RNY in 2003 - lost 125 lbs.  Felt amazing.  Kept it off for a few years.
Put the weight back on through a combination of lack of exercise, messy divorce resulting in stress eating and in addition my opening from my pouch opened up and was 4 inches around.

Thought I was crazy for a while then I came here and saw that the stoma enlarging was a REAL problem.  I got scoped.  Found out that my stoma was as large as my pouch - which by the way - did not stretch out :)  My insurance would not cover a fix - only a brand new surgery.  Had to have a high enough BMI, psych eval, diet - the works.

Thankfully I was approved and banded in May!  Now I have "Bob"  (band over bypass) Bob is a realize-C band.  I've had a few fills - I'm at 7 cc right now.  I can finally feel a bit of restriction - well its more like the food stays in my pouch a little longer.  Still eating more than a cup at a time...but improvement has been acheived.

Here's the thing.... I exercise - EVERYDAY.  I'm walking about 4-6 miles a day.  Seriously exercising 2x per day.  I haven't lost a thing since surgery.  I know I'm gaining muscle.  But I feel horrible that I'm not getting the good weight loss everyone else is getting.  Yes, I'm watching my intake - I'm at 1200 cal per day.  Yes, I'm drinking water.  Could it be all the low cal diets I was on before that has made my metabolism stall? 

Ok - just whining about my journey.  The weight just fell off with RNY.  I could weigh myself 3x a day and the scale would change (in the begining)  I'm working harder this time around and it stinks! 

Anyone else have the no weight loss problem in the begining.  I'm keeping at it because I know the exercise is helping me - but there better be some results happening pretty soon or I'm going to go back to my fat girl ways and sit on the couch again.

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/09 7:39 am - San Diego, CA
I have a "BOB" too (except I have a Lap-Band rather than Realize, but same difference)!!!  Love that term by the way. There are not that many of us around. ;)  It sounds like you do not have sufficient restriction yet.  I just had my 3rd fill last Monday and have restriction for the first time (my surgery was 5/29/09) - I have lost 26 lbs since my surgery which is half of the weight I had regained. 

Since my surgery and until now, I have been basically traditional dieting yet following the band rules as if I had restriction and getting in approximately 800 - 1200 calories per day.  My portions are 1/2 c - 1 c; of which 2/3 are dense protein (lots of salmon & tender chicken) or soft proteins (like FF cheese, cottage cheese, beans etc.) and 1/3 veggies (i have tolerated steamed cauliflower, zucchini (no skin), squash (no skin), etc.); and I am virtually white/starchy carb-free and sugar-free all the way around.  Are you getting in enough protein daily?  Drinking enough water (I try to drink 80-110 oz per day)?  Your exercise seems to be on point so congrats for that!! 

Yes my friend, the weight definitely comes off a lot slower (I too lost 100 lbs in 4 months with my RNY!) but it WILL come off!!!  That is the good news.  Just wait until you have restriction...ahhhhh the sweet feeling of restriction which encourages WAY faster results. :)

Good luck and let's keep in touch.  I love my BOB and I am certain you will too!

lesamay
on 7/28/09 3:45 am - Ellsworth, ME
I am not "BOB" but am newly banded (2 1/2 weeks).  I've lost 5 lbs since my surgery.  The weight does come off alot slower than RNY.  I have friends who have had RNY and some who've had Band and the RNY dropped like a stone and the Band trickled along but they did get there.  I have had one fill os 2cc's.  I am eating about a 1/2 cup to 3/4.  Concentrating on protein first then veggies then if I have room a SMALL portion of potato or whole grains (my NUT said to think of them as a condiment instead of a serving which has helped me keep it in check).  From what everyone has told me it's all about time and patience which is gonna be hard since you've seen the results from the RNY.  Don't give up!!  It will happen!!

Starting weight 248/   Day of Surgery   218.4    / Current 210/ Goal 145  
6.8 CC'S IN A 11 CC BAND  
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/09 2:33 pm - San Diego, CA
"...think of them as a condiment..."

I LOVE IT!!!!  I can really gauge that in my head easily.
Most Active