I think I'm joining this board

Considering_It
on 7/24/09 7:47 am
After thinking about WLS for years, I finally got the courage to make an appointment and have a consult.  My surgeon recommended a RNY, however, due to the surgical and long time risks, and the overall long term comparisons w/ weight loss and eventual  weight gain of RNY , I decided that I'll take the slower and steadier weight loss...hoping for lessened skin issues, and an easier adjustment to this way of living.  I've compared the stats too for the LapBand and Realize, and even though they are very close, there are things about Realize that are enough to make me choose this.

So, here I am.  I called my surgeon's office to advise them of my decision, and scheduled my psych eval for next month. 

daisy560
on 7/24/09 8:48 am, edited 7/24/09 8:48 am - NE
YAY!  Good for you and welcome! 

It's good that you are taking the time to do all the research and find out what is really best for you.  I had a few friends of mine who've had RNY think I was crazy selecting the band but I knew after all the research that this is what was best for me. 

And on the topic of Realize vs LB, my surgeon won't even use lapband unless someone specifically requests it.  There are a lot of benefits like self locking band closure (instead of sutures) and the port using anchors to attached to the muscle (instead of sutures) and the larger size makes it a faster recovery with fewer complications.  At least that is what studies show :) 
- Patti
True Change comes from within. 

Considering_It
on 7/24/09 10:45 am
On July 24, 2009 at 3:48 PM Pacific Time, daisy560 wrote:
YAY!  Good for you and welcome! 

It's good that you are taking the time to do all the research and find out what is really best for you.  I had a few friends of mine who've had RNY think I was crazy selecting the band but I knew after all the research that this is what was best for me. 

And on the topic of Realize vs LB, my surgeon won't even use lapband unless someone specifically requests it.  There are a lot of benefits like self locking band closure (instead of sutures) and the port using anchors to attached to the muscle (instead of sutures) and the larger size makes it a faster recovery with fewer complications.  At least that is what studies show :) 
The few RYN'ers I've talked to IRL told me not to bother with the band...however, I know how things go for me, and I just feel like I'm better with less risk overall.

Thanks for the welcome :)
kathkeb
on 7/24/09 10:15 am
Be sure to read the Lap Band board also -- it is much more active and has tons of great info

There is nothing about that board that is 'band-type specific"

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to change your life!
Kath

Considering_It
on 7/24/09 10:46 am
Thanks so much for the advice and welcome!
topaz11
on 7/24/09 10:15 am
Good for you I agree with your logic.  I am scheduled to be realized July 27th
Considering_It
on 7/24/09 10:47 am
Thank you and good luck to you!  You are so lucky to be so close to being on your way!  How long did it take you to be approved?
MissRachel
on 7/24/09 2:21 pm
Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome - I've had good advice from this board so far!  And like you - I decided against RNY. 

I was actually as far into the process as having my RNY surgery scheduled.  Then 2 weeks prior to it I just couldn't reconcile myself to the long-term health risks and complications.  I spoke with two people who were more than 7 years out from the RNY and hearing their stories about ongoing health issues, malabsorption problems, dumping syndrome, hair loss, gas, etc, etc, etc - it was very scary to me.  So I changed my surgery to the Realize Band.  I'm SO glad I did!  I'm 2 weeks post-op and have lost almost 20 lbs in 3 weeks (I lost some on the pre-op diet).  And it has been a good experience so far. 

I wish you the best!   

PS - my best friend had the LapBand 16 months ago and she's already lost 100 lbs and hasn't suffered to do it.  So RNY is not the only option for significant weight loss!  It can be done with the band!

topaz11
on 7/24/09 11:21 pm
I started my journey Jan 27th.  I was approved in June. My insurance required 6 month  diet recorded by a doctor, I was scheduled for June 25th. However I had to post pone. I had two sons getting married. June 21st and July 5th so id decided it would be better to wait until the weddings were over. Now I can concentrate on me . You will probably move along a little quicker
Livewell
on 7/24/09 8:22 pm, edited 7/25/09 11:16 pm - Chatham, NJ
Congratulations!!  Of course, now you'll have to change your screen name from "considering it" to "doing it".

I went through the same decision-making process that you did and have been extremely happy with my choice.  It's a lot of work, but the rewards are so well worth it and you really will feel so much healthier.

I agree with KathKeb that you should feel free to visit the Lap Band board as well.  Most of us Realizers hang out there as well since that board is more active and welcomes all band types.

If you have any questions along the way, please don't hesitate to ask!

Most Active