Post Op Diet

bandaide09
on 7/19/09 11:11 am
Am I the only person whose surgeon said to go on liquids for 2 or 3 days post op and then go straight to chunky food?  He says chunky food stays in the pouch longer and keeps you full longer.  I Have done that and have been fine.  He says eat protein first then vegetables and if you have any room left over you can a bite or two of carbs.   I don't drink protein shakes.  They are yucky tasting so I asked him if I had to drink them and he said no.  I feel great.

HW: 243  SW: 226  CW: 160   GW: 150 

Livewell
on 7/19/09 11:33 am - Chatham, NJ
Hmm, that does sound pretty fast, but I guess if you keep the "chunky" foods on the softer side and you are doing OK with it (no stomach pain), it must be fine.  I am sure that everyone's recovery is different, just like the docs' recommendations!

purpleelephants
on 7/19/09 12:30 pm
My doctor had me do 3 days of liquids then to full liquids for 3 days and then mushie for a week and then regular food.  He called it Fast Track.  I loved it and did very well.  Just take it slow and eat what you can.  Glad you are feeling so good

Kim
DEVOFR
on 7/20/09 10:25 am
My Doc does a plan very much like your "Fast Track", but he has it all typed on a one-page "Bible". I've done well so far and started feeling more human once I was able to eat mushies. Glad I didn't have to wait very long for them.
PSJ71
on 7/19/09 1:04 pm - Blanchard, OK
Wow, that does seem a little quick, but each doc is different. I had my surgery on July 7 and am still on full liquids. Tuesday is my 14th day and I get to progress to pureed. The thing about the protein shakes is they are loaded with protein, which you really need. I bought a chocolate protein powder at Target the other day and really, really like that a lot. My son and husband love it when I let them have some of mine. I put a teaspoon of peanut butter, 4 ounces of milk and a half scoop of the powder, a little bit of splenda and ice and it's wonderful. It almost tastes like a Reese's cup.

But, again, each doctor is different and I would go by whatever he says.. Good luck to you!
  Starting WT:  275   Surgery Wt:  248.8   Current Wt: 202.5 Goal:  140

KelB2000
on 7/19/09 1:25 pm

I am going on 6 days post-op and was directed to do full liquids until I am 2 weeks out. Then I'll progress to soft foods for two weeks, and finally regular foods. Seems like my doctor is very methodical...I WISH I could be on the fast track since I'm tired of this liquid restriction. But I'm going to go as directed for risk of chancing anything. Lucky you, though!

daisy560
on 7/19/09 1:55 pm - NE
Ditto, my doc has me on two full weeks on liquid post op.  This wednesday I get to progress to pureed, I CAN'T WAIT.  

I am not going to lie though, I had a small piece of fresh mozzerella yesterday and it was the most delicious thing i've ever put in my mouth :P    
- Patti
True Change comes from within. 

PSJ71
on 7/19/09 2:04 pm - Blanchard, OK
LOL Daisy! I know what you mean. The other day, I put a shred. Yes ONE Shred of cheddar cheese in my mouth and just let it melt. That was so, so good! LOL
  Starting WT:  275   Surgery Wt:  248.8   Current Wt: 202.5 Goal:  140

Ravenhaven
on 7/20/09 2:34 am - menlo, GA
I was banded July 6th. i was one day clear liquids, then I went to full liquids/pureed for three weeks. Thats where I am now and then i can move on to more soft like foods. I have eaten soft foods like fish this weekend and did great.
MisssBrown
on 7/26/09 7:56 am
This Tuesday will be a week I've been on the liquid diet since being banded.  I'm so ready to get out of this liquid phase I could scream. :)

Being the person that I am I'm almost tempted to test the waters but I won't.  If it was anything else I'd do it but I'm really don't want to find myself in my surgeons office explaining why I didn't follow rules (those other Dr. Gornichec patients out there can understand where I'm coming from). 

Oh well, he has a reason for everything so I will follow it and do well.

Good luck everyone! 
Most Active