How long is the band supposed to last? (x-post)

Jean M.
on 7/16/09 2:02 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Good morning, fellow bandsters.  I rarely visit this forum because I don't have a Realize Band (possibly because it hadn't been approved for use yet when I was banded), but some messages apply to any brand of adjustable gastric band, so I'm hoping you'll hear me out.

Today one of my RNY pals on the Over Fifties Forum asked me, "How long is the band supposed to last?"  It seems that some members of a bandster support group she facilitates were asking about this at their last meeting.

This is an excellent question.  I like this question so much, I'm cross-posting here, and on the lap-band forum, what I said in reply to it.  Here goes:

The band (both the Lap-Band and the Realize Band) is designed to last forever.  There is nothing in it that would wear out.  Unlike an artificial joint, it has no moving parts that could wear out through use or friction.  Although the adjustable gastric band is relatively new (used overseas for 23 years now), it is made of the same kinds of materials (silicone, surgical stainless steel, etc.) as have been used for other medical implants for many decades.

People often ask if the port doesn't wear out or start to leak because of being stuck so many times with a needle.  First of all, the port membrane is made of "self-healing" material that closes up after it i*****tured.  Secondly, a knowledgeable fill person (this is an important reason to only allow qualified professionals to do your fills) will use a special, non-coring needle (called a Huber needle) that does not excavate a "core" of silicone when it penetrates the port membrane.

Manufacturing defects that might cause the band to "fail" (for example, through leakage) are extremely rare.  Leaks are usually caused by fill needles mistakenly jabbed into the port stem or tubing (which are not self-healing).  It's possible for saline to leak if the tubing becomes disconnected from the port (I guess that would be considered a manufacturing defect, although I'm not sure Inamed or Ethicon would admit to it).  I know of only one OH bandster who had to have surgery to correct a leaking band, and I don't know if they ever figured out where the leak was.  Every band is tested for leaks, not only at the factory but by the surgeon when the band is placed.  Doing that is part of the surgical protocol that Inamed requires of surgeons (only surgeons who have completed Inamed's training program are allowed to buy the Lap-Band).  I would assume that the Ethicon protocol is the same.

I have one more comment about the durability of the band.  Here on the lap-band forum and sometimes on the main board, I sometimes hear rumors about the band only lasting 7 years, or 4 years, or whatever number.  This kind of thing is often posted by OH members who had some other kind of surgery, or who list no surgery type (making me suspect trolls), or by newbies who say something like, "My hairdresser has a client whose sister had the band and it broke after 3 years and she had to have it removed."

To which I always reply, "And my hairdresser has a client whose brother-in-law's best friend had a UFO land in his pasture." 

The point being that this kind of thrice-told story is about as accurate as the message you used to get after playing the game "Telegraph" (maybe they call it "Telephone" now).  Maybe that sister did have to have her band removed, but probably not because it broke.  More probably because she found ways to eat around the band, didn't lose weight or made her band slip through overeating, revised to another WLS procedure, and wants to blame all that on the band.

Finally, I would have gotten an adjustable gastric band even if I had been told I was going to have to replace it every 10 years for the rest of my life!  I know 2 women my age (mid 50's), one a fitness instructor whose joints take a beating, and the other a nurse who is on her feet all day, *****cently had hip replacements.  They know perfectly well that the new hip isn't going to last  for the rest of their lives, but living with pain and disability for the next 30 years wasn't part of their life plans.  Or mine either.

I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching.  Obviously, this is a hot button for me!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

debkay61
on 7/16/09 11:57 pm
Preach on Jean!!!! I am so glad you posted that info because I do get tired of hearing all the negativity about the band.  It really confuses ppl when they have their minds made up and then they hear all the negative stuff.

Thanks for being so informative!

Band date May 4, 2009 Realize Band surgery weight 223.8 ( 5'5)
fills 1st 6cc 6/22/09 2nd 2cc 8/5/09

frcmac
on 7/18/09 3:51 am - Abilene, TX
thanks, jean.  really good info.

faye
melslongjourney
on 7/22/09 4:44 am
Thanks so much for your shared info that was one of the "burning" questions that i had. I am not banded yet but I am at the point of picking a surgery date on Aug 3rd to get my realize band. I am scared but excited and I have read so much that sometimes it becomes to much. I have heard all kinds of comments about how long it lasts. I made a list of questions for my doctor just cause I needed to know everything I could. I went through alot to get this and I am not about to waste it. I agree with you, I think if it only lasted for 10 years I would still do it. The extra surgery would be worth having a healthier life. So I just want to say thanks for taking time to share with us.
Melissa

~Melissa~
SW/326 CW/224 GW/175
~ 4cc added in 11cc realize- C band~ 02/08/10~
~1 cc added 03/08/10
~1 cc added 05/03/10
~ 1cc added 07/26/10
~ .05 cc added 09/09/10
~ .05 cc added 01/06/11
~ .25 cc added 06/06/11

Most Active