Honestly now............have you completely given up..

dyannajoy
on 7/15/09 5:14 am
..........your caffeine??  I LOVE my morning cup of coffee.  Most days I have a cup in the am and a cup in the early afternoon.  I work evenings and don't get to bed till around 1:00 in the morning.  My coffee helps me keep going.  If you have NOT given it up, tell me how much you still have and when.  And if you HAVE given it up please give me compelling reasons to stop.  I will be banded on July 24th.  thanks for your advice and sharing!  Dyanna
Livewell
on 7/15/09 7:36 am - Chatham, NJ

Dyanna,

Prior to surgery, I pretty much only had 1 cup of coffee each morning.  Now, I mix a spoonful of instant coffee into my morning chocolate protein shake.  Still gives me my morning caffeine and I love the flavor that it gives my shake.

Having said this, I do drink a TON of water.  Well over 100oz per day usually, so I don't worry about my morning caffeine.  There are plenty of folks that continue to drink their morning cup of joe and plenty that don't.  I don't know how much it really affects weightloss, since caffeine is good for athletes in training . . .

kathkeb
on 7/15/09 11:15 am
I don't drink much caffeine (now that I am not drinking Diet Coke/Pepsi) but my surgeon does not require me to give it up.

He just said to drink an extra glass of water for each cup of caffeinated beverage I drink.
Kath

Tom C.
on 7/15/09 11:01 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Dyanna,

Most Doctors tell their patients to refrain from caffeine, especially in the beginning. Caffeine is a diuretic. For every ounce of caffeine you drink, you need to drink 2 ounces of water - just to offset it. So for one cup of coffee, you would need to drink two cups of water just to get to the starting (0) point.

In the beginning, many folks have trouble getting their required 64 ounces of water. If caffeine is introduced, then "adding more water" to their regime can be very difficult.

I would suggest following your Doctor's rules, especially just starting out. Once you are into the "swing of things", then you may want to introduce coffee back into your normal day.

Finally, ask yourself - is coffee really that important than being successful? Only you can answer that.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
James M.
on 7/16/09 12:27 am - SAGINAW, MN
I gave it up completely before suegery just because the nut told me to,I never got a glowing reason to quit, I work alot of midnites and thought I would really miss it.  I did have  some bad headaches at first but as another side effect I have not had reflux/heartburn since I quit that pot a day.
MARTY

daisy560
on 7/16/09 1:08 pm - NE
I gave up caffeine when I started my liquid diet per my NUT's instructions and I have to say it was a DOUBLE WHAMMY.  Not only was a tired because my calories were drastically reduced, but I wasn't having my morning wake up call either.  

There's no question you want to stop with the caffeine for surgery because you don't want to be dehydrated.   I would suggest stopping it before you go full liquid so you don't have to experience the same thing I did.  

Good Luck on your surgery!!

Farmgirl58
on 7/23/09 6:06 am - AL
Hi, Ihave cut my coffe consumption to one cup in the morning...full leaded.  Do not like the taste of Decaff.  The caffiene is a stimulant and can increase your hunger, that is why the doctors don't want you to drink the full leaded coffee, but everything in moderation is the motto.  I have not had any problems with caffiene, so I am going to stick to my one cup in the morning and an occassional ice tea in the afternoon.  I do mostly drink water though.  Hope this helps.  Farmgirl58
Most Active