Full Liquids Suggestions? Newbie...

KelB2000
on 7/15/09 12:24 pm
I'm now day 2 post op...still sore and when I sneeze if feels like my insides are exploding But I'm trying to keep moving and the nausea has subsided...no vomiting, thank God. So...I start full liquids tomorrow and have bought an array of campbells creamy soups as well as sugar free, fat free pudding (as directed)....do you guys have any other suggestions? Since I'll be on this for two weeks, I'm hoping to vary it up a bit. Also, tomorrow I will take the bandages off and take my first shower...I'm a little nervous about that, especially seeing the incisions. Does the first shower hurt? I'm afraid to touch my stomach with soap...Any input is greatly appreciated...thanks so much!

PS- Down 6.5 lbs already...i'm guessing that's water weight!

Kelly

SW294 CW: 287.5 GW: 170
(deactivated member)
on 7/15/09 3:55 pm, edited 7/15/09 3:56 pm - Golden, CO
Kelly - I remember the sneezes. Hurt like a MF!
One thing I started doing in my full liquid stage was to take the Progresso Light vegetable soups (zero points) that I ate back when I was going to solve my weight problem with Weigh****chers (lol) and put them in a blender. They tasted the same as unblended to me, though I missed chewing the noodles and veggies for awhile. I also love roasted hatch chile peppers which we get here in Colorado in the fall and freeze for the year. They can also be found in the can at your local grocery store. I would add these to some otherwise bland soups (like mushroom) in a blender.  I just had my first fill yesterday and am back on full liquids for two days and have been doing the Progresso Soup thing. Another thing I did was add a half a cup of sugar free pudding  to my protein shakes to make them more palitable.
Good luck with your WLS.
Regards,
Matt
daisy560
on 7/16/09 12:59 pm - NE
Hi KelB2000,

I am with you.  I am 7 days out now and I am still pretty swollen and sore.  I literally keep a pillow with me (a little travel one) wherever I go so if I cough, laugh, or sneeze I hold it across my stomach to minimize how much it moves. 

I also went to the healthfood section of my grocery store and found these boxed 'gourmet' soups that are all creamed and pureed, they are a little pricey (about $5) but i figure it has 4 cups of soup, which is 8 servings for me!  I also put a dollop of lowfat sour cream in them just to mix it up.  I bought acorn squash and mango, curried lentil, chipolte corn bisque, and butternut squash. 

For the shower part, don't worry about it.  I am assuming you have the white surgical strips over your incisions, I was told that you don't want to scrub your stomach, just shower as normal and you can let soap and water pour over the strips.   It didn't hurt at all, I was just so tired that it was hard for me to stand for 15 minutes in the shower!
- Patti
True Change comes from within. 

KelB2000
on 7/17/09 1:36 am
Hi Daisy,

Thanks for your soup suggestions! My first shower ended up being no problem...in fact I felt better afterwards...more like a human lol. I see you are 20 pounds down after 7 days post op- that's awesome!! Do you actually feel a difference in your body? I'm 4 days post-op and down 9 pounds...don't feel any difference yet, though I've been wearing loose fitting clothes, so many if I try on a pair of jeans I might see a difference. I can't wait to get off this liquid diet, it's rough....

Kelly
daisy560
on 7/17/09 5:10 am, edited 7/17/09 5:11 am - NE
My 20 includes the 12 i lost in the 10 days before surgery, i've lost about a 1lb a day since i've been home. 

I actually put on a pair of jeans yesterday for the first time to go to work (which was terrible, my office chair is not comfortable) and I totally felt a difference on my lower half.  My tummy is still swollen though so I actually think my tops aren't fitting quite the same, but I am sure I'll get there :)

The liquid diet is pretty rough, only 5 more days until I get to the pureed stage   I cant wait to have some eggs and sting cheese!

- Patti
True Change comes from within. 

PhxPeace
on 7/17/09 2:13 am, edited 7/17/09 2:14 am - Phoenix, AZ

I enjoyed cream of chicken mixed with cream of mushroom, made with milk for the additional protein & dairy. I used my Braun blender stick to mix it up, which made sure it was well-mixed. I also blended Beans w/Bacon soup to a creamy texture and also blended Bush's Baked Beans. I'm in Phoenix, so Refried Beans were a favorite of mine as I progressed towards mushy foods. When you move towards the mushy phase, I suggest Seasoned Black Beans w/Green Chile sauce!

FYI: Rubbermaid makes clear screw-top storage containers that hold just over 1-cup, which made portioning very easy and allowed me to pre-mix at home and take to work. It also made it easy when my dear hubby offered to heat up my next meal!

Peace,
Susan 

koya09
on 7/18/09 2:12 pm
I'm right there with you guys look like we all banded on the same day July 14, anyway, I'm still learning how to adjust with this band, I have staples to my sites, so I have to shower backwards, at least until nxt wk when they come out. O boy this liq diet....... so hard I'm not hungry, so I may eat twice a day, like cream of wheat, or cream soup, I will drink though, tea, hot coco, water etc.......it's still hard moving around....
lorikru
on 7/21/09 3:19 pm - Sammamish, WA
I have found that the Unjury branch of chicken flavored whey protein is really good - i found it very comforting to have a warm drink of chicken broth in those early days.  I also use it to flavor my 'faux mashed potatoes' i make from califlower.  It's great stuff but I've only found it online.

Most Active