Realize Banded today-7/14

KelB2000
on 7/14/09 10:24 am
New to this forum, and looking for all the inspiration and support I can get! I am now Realize banded as of 7:30 this morning. I'm home...The pain is present, but not excruciating, and I'm battling intermittent nausea. All in all, surgery at the Florham Park surgery center was a very positive experience. I cried a little during pre-op, realizing that my entire life is about to change. I'm not so much worried about the recovery as much as I am the significant changes I'll need to make in food choices and the fear of feeling deprived. As I've decided to only tell a select few of family and friends at the current time, I am already presented with the challenge of whether to go or not to go to social outings, especially ones that are food centered, within the next month post op since my diet will not yet be normal. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated. Here's to hoping I'm able to sleep through the night on my back...stomach sleeper, here.

Kelly
PSJ71
on 7/14/09 1:46 pm - Blanchard, OK
Hi Kel,

I was banded a week before you! Congratulations on making such a huge step for the betterment of your life and health! I have to say I do believe the feelings you are feeling are normal. I haven't really had any episodes of being emotional about my experience....yet. However, I am still working to get through this liquid stage of my diet. I started my preop diet on June 27 and am continuing liquids until next Tuesday. So, right now, I don't even want to really think about the "big picture," as it is just too overwhelming right now. I think the whole idea behind having this band is the fact that yes, we will have to watch what we eat, but we don't have to totally cut out certain things unless it proves to be something not well tolerated by the band.

I have read about people who modify their diet, but they do not deprive themselves. I, myself, know for me I am going to have to cut way down on carbs, as these are truly my enemy! It's not to say though, if the mood strikes that I might have a nibble or two of something from time to time. I think we have gotten the worst part out of the way by having the surgery. We now have to work on healing and the rest will come. I had a moment of almost wishing I hadn't done it, which was two days postop, but it was because I was so miserable from gas being inside my stomach. I couldn't burp and there was so much pressure around my diaphragm, I could hardly drink anything or even take deep breaths. Now, all is fine and I feel pretty much normal. Today was my first day back at work.

Don't stress yourself right now. Just concentrate on healing and again, the rest will come. Take care and good luck with your new tool!

Paulette
  Starting WT:  275   Surgery Wt:  248.8   Current Wt: 202.5 Goal:  140

conniec711
on 7/14/09 3:04 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Wow your home already  - I wish my surgeon would let me leave the same day (but I was already told 24 hour minimum)

Congratulations on your band...my surgery is tomorrow Morning....so excited..I will never be able to sleep tonight.

Best of luck to you
Connie

Livewell
on 7/15/09 2:38 am - Chatham, NJ

Congrats, Kelly.  You are correct that your life is about to change, but in a VERY good way.  I would never have dreamed when I had surgery last December that I would be in a size 8 right now.  It is just so unreal and exciting.

I only told very few people also and, since it was December, had to attend a few Christmas work and family functions.  But, I muddled through it and it was fine.  People don't really notice what you are eating as much as you think they do.  I used distraction a lot in the very beginning - i.e., getting up from the table to go to the bathroom or take a call or whatever excuse I could come up with so that sitting at the table would not be torture.

I am a stomach sleeper also and was very uncomfortable the first few nights.  But, this too shall pass.  You'll be sleeping on your stomach in no time.  In the meantime, try using pillows to help you get comfortable enough to at least sleep on your side.

Glad to hear that you had a good experience at the FP Surgery Center.  It was not open yet when I had my surgery, but I am hearing great things and look forward to getting any future fills there.

Best of luck to you as you recover!

Considering_It
on 7/15/09 11:09 am
Congrats to you!  I'm going to Dr,. A & B's seminar tomorrow to learn more about this surgery.
Wishing you a comfortable recovery :)

KelB2000
on 7/15/09 11:17 am
Thanks! I'm sure you will like the presentation. If you decide to go ahead with the surgery, I definitely recommend the Florham Park Surgery Center (down the hall)...it was a quick, efficient, and pretty flawless experience. The staff is wonderful. Good luck!
Tom C.
on 7/15/09 11:25 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Kelly,

Welcome to our banded world!! We are honored to have you join our expanding shrinking group. And ALS has great Doctors, so you're be successful.

I suggest go to functions. You had this operation to help you, not hinder. However, only you know you - and if going to these functions will be too much temptations, then you may want to stay away.

Now, if you're worried what people may say about the lack of food you're eating, here are some excuses you can use, and while it's not 100% truthful - it's certainly not a lie:

“I am trying to lose weight",

“I am not that hungry today",

“I am not feeling like my old self",

“Oh I guess you didn’t see how much I actually ate. I am stuff, and will burst if I have another bite" 

“My stomach isn’t quite right (normal), and I don’t want to chance it and overload it – if you know what I mean". Most people will think “stomach flu".
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
barregirl
on 7/16/09 6:48 am
Hi Kelly - I too was banded on Tuesday!  I'm feeling pretty well, luckily no nausea.  I originally wasn't going to tell anyone about the surgery except my husband, daughter, parents and inlaws but in the end I've shared it with many people I work with as well as all my friends and extended family members.  I've found everyone to be very supportive and it has made it easier.  the fear of feeling deprived is a little worrisome, but I am just thinking that we need to stay positive.  As far as the social outings go, I completely understand your dilema.  We have a family dinner tomorrow night, as well as a wedding in 2 weeks and other parties.  Its not going to be easiest thing to go through, is it?  By telling everyone in my family and friends circle, I no longer have to explain why I'm not eating, and it makes it easier for everyone else too.  Now, that's just my opinion, and I know its not for everyone to be so open about it.  That's just what is working for me so far.  I do like the suggestions above however - I'm stuffed, already eaten, etc.  All very good ideas.

Are you sleeping ok?  I'm not really.  I'm a side sleeper, so I've been uncomfortable too, but...its only temporary.  Hang in there - hopefully next week will be better!
Barb

One Day at a Time.

KelB2000
on 7/16/09 10:43 am
Hey, glad to know I have someone here who is going through the same thing at the same time as I am. We are Band twins!! Haha...Today I'm still sore, and I've noticed an increase in hunger, which I'm not looking forward to since we have 10 more days of full liquids. What kinds of things are you drinking/eating? Are you hungry at all? As far as sleeping, I have found that if I sleep on my back with a bunch of pillows to prop me up, and then a big pillow under each knee, it's comfortable enough for me to sleep. The pillows under the knees thing is key...another thing you can try is turning on your side while hugging a pillow. I'm still not ready to tell the world that I've been REALIZED...maybe once I get used to the process and how it works for me...Still contemplating the social outtings...I went to the mall with a friend today and found myself having small cravings of everything I saw. Made me doubt my ability to get through this...But I went home, pushed the thought out of my mind and had some soup. One day at a time....Hope you are doing well too! Please keep in touch!!
barregirl
on 7/16/09 11:18 pm
Hi again.  Propped myself up with pillows on both sides and slept through the night on my side!  As far as eating goes, I am drinking EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes and Crystal Light Peach Tea.  Ocasionally some sugar free jello.  That's it for now.  I have only once felt any hunger and that was only briefly yesterday.  In the hospital I had some broth on a couple of occasions, chicken  and beef.  Don't really feel like eating!  Haven't lost any weight since Tuesday, a bit of a bummer but probably I'm retaining fluid or something.  Oh well.  Hang in there...one day at a time.
Most Active