Does anyone have/ or had swelling??

bradsmom
on 7/13/09 1:19 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I had my Realize Band placed on June 25th. (18 days ago)  However, I am still have have some swelling at the large incision site.  No pain really, and the cut themselves are really healing nicely.  I just wondered if anyone else has or had the same situation and if so, about how long did it last? I have still been icing it almost every evening too!
mcneala
on 7/13/09 9:17 pm
I had some swelling at both the port incision and the incision below my sternum for about 3 months after surgery.  My surgeons said it was most likely a fluid buildup or a hematoma.  I think heat might help better than ice to get the circulation going, but if it is the same issue I had, it should resolve itself within a few more weeks for you!  Good luck!
Amanda
bradsmom
on 7/14/09 8:44 am - Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the advice.  Maybe I will switch to the heating pad tonight then.  Thanks so much!!!
wildheart63
on 7/14/09 3:59 am - IL
MY SWELLING LASTED ABOUT 3 OR 4 MONTHS.....IT GETS BETTER!
LORI

bradsmom
on 7/14/09 8:41 am - Cincinnati, OH
OMG!!!!   3-4 months???  That's not the answer I was hoping to hear but... I'm glad that I'm not having anything bizarre going on!!
on 7/14/09 10:53 am
Make sure you don't have an infection. Heat would not be good if you do! any redness?
Any pain when you push on it (palpate). An infection could be under the port.
Just keep an eye on it go see your MD if you still have concerns better safe than sorry!

ps congrats on your band. 
bradsmom
on 7/15/09 8:45 am - Cincinnati, OH

Thank you so much for your comment.  I will keep a close eye on it.  There's no redness.  It's when I lay down and look at my rib cage area that I notice the big difference in the size of each side.  One, is normal.... and the left side is pretty swollen.  Maybe I should just make the appointment to be sure.  Better safe than sorry is right! 

RobynJC
on 7/16/09 4:14 am
Hello,

It definately gets better. I had some significant swelling the first 3 weeks and it gradually went down.  It took about 2 months until I felt more "normal". 

I never iced or heated it, just kind of lived with it.  But good luck getting your swelling to reduce and keep in mind that this too shall pass!

Congrats on the surgery and best wishes.

Robyn
Most Active