Harder than I thought

tgrar
on 7/13/09 1:24 am
I am too depressed to weigh myself. I was banded on 6-25-09 and I am back to eating like I did before the surgery, I will not get a fill until 8-4-09 and feel I am falling back into old habits, I went two full weeks on a liquod diet and had a great loss of 30 lbs. them went back to dr for for 2 week check up and gained 7 lbs of the thirty maybe his scale was off but I have not stepped back on mine since. I am eating smaller portions and seem to be full but am still affraid I am gaining. I need some positive re-enforcement. My family is saying I told you so. I am thinking that things will change once there is restriction.
Mercury529
on 7/13/09 1:55 am
I was banded the day after you. Have you not had any fills yet? I can eat just about anything I want also and I understand how you feel. I have just been trying to get a little more exercise each day. Until you get the right about of restriction, it is going to be hard, just hang in there. Then you'll be able to tell your family I told YOU so. This will work if you just hang in there and keep trying. I had my first fill on July 8th and I fill a little restriction so I'm not eat quite as much and I go back for another on on Aug 5th. Good Luck

Karen

1st fill 7/8/09 4cc in a 9cc band
2nd fill 8/5/09 2cc total of 6cc
3rd fill 9/2/09 1cc total of 7cc

tgrar
on 7/13/09 5:45 am
My doc would not give me a fill on the 2 week checkup. I am wondering how much nof a fill you recieved your first time?
grandbaychick
on 7/13/09 6:04 am - Grand Bay, AL
It looks like your surgery was in May and the OP's was in June.  So technically they have only been banded for like 2 weeks. 
“Whether you think you can or think you can’t… You’re right.?  - Henry Ford
Height-5'10 Heaviest-335 Weight at surgery-315 Goal 199 

barregirl
on 7/13/09 2:01 am, edited 7/13/09 2:02 am
I have read of other people eating like this and gaining in the initial weeks.  In fact, somewhere along the line here I read about someone who wasn't eating enough - and their metabolism had slowed way down and they weren't losing.  Maybe that is what is going on?  

Please! don't let your family get you down.  They should be supporting you.  Are you drinking enough fluids?  Exercising?  Its going to take time with the band - longer than the gastic bypass - so please, one day at a time.  And I agree - once you get restriction, things will change. 
tgrar
on 7/13/09 5:43 am
Well I am trying not to eat alot, but one week prior to my band surgery I had surgery on a torn menecus in my l. knee and I haven't really recovered from that. As a matter of fact both of my y knees are killing me and I am not taking anything stronger that tylenol because I don't like the feeling the narcotics give me. I will hang in therfe.
Mercury529
on 7/13/09 6:13 am
My first fill was 4cc. I got my first fill 6 weeks after surgery. I will get another one for weeks after that. Until you get the right restriction, you do the best you can.

Karen

1st fill 7/8/09 4cc in a 9cc band
2nd fill 8/5/09 2cc total of 6cc
3rd fill 9/2/09 1cc total of 7cc

janice A.
on 7/13/09 6:28 am - san angelo, TX
Hi,

You are newly banded you have NO restriction so far: it is not unusual to eat normaly at this stage of surgery. At first the swellig is what gave u the restriction, now the  swelling is gone and ur stomah is as it was before. When you get your fill you  will feel some restriction. Keep in mind the frst few days your stomach will be swollen dont ge discouraged. Trust your doc and your instincts and dont heitate to ask questions here. Also along this journey you will learn the differnce between headhunger and real hunger.  The tuff part is learning to beat the head hunger. ( i am still working on this).

I dont understand why your family is saying I told u so? ..
I wish you all the best on your journey.

tc, Janice

long term

SW 303/ lapband/ 244 /335 pre-op/ revision 4/11

tgrar
on 7/16/09 7:16 am
Hey Janice, I sent you an email. Thanks for responding to me.  
grandbaychick
on 7/13/09 6:37 am - Grand Bay, AL

Hi tgrar,

I too did the unhappy weight dance after I started solids.  I would go up 3 lbs down 3 up 2 down 1...it was a nightmare.  I had my first fill on July 7th and still feel no real restriction.  When I went to my support group meeting I mentioned to the dietician about being able to eat more than I should she made a suggestion.  Just because you can doesn't mean you should especially when you could stretch your pouch.  Try eating 4 oz at a time and if you get real hunger later (i.e. stomach rumbles) then eat 4 oz more.  Don't sit down and eat a full blown meal.  It has helped me a lot.  I haven't been gaining since then and I'm down a lb this week. 
Give it try...ya never know...you may just get full off the 1st 4 oz.  Good luck!

“Whether you think you can or think you can’t… You’re right.?  - Henry Ford
Height-5'10 Heaviest-335 Weight at surgery-315 Goal 199 

Most Active