Too all you smokers out there....HELP

conniec711
on 6/23/09 5:23 pm - Brooklyn, NY
I am scheduled for the band on 7/15/09...I am 2 weeks into not smoking and it would be 5 weeks smoke free by the surgery date (not the 6 that they prefer)....I am trying absolutely anything and everything to make sure that I don't slip.

What have you done to quit....or are you in the same boat.....hoping not to slip.....

And be honest....if you already did slip.........

Mary B.
on 6/23/09 10:43 pm - Southern, MD
I quit in Feb 08. I took Chantix and it was very easy. Unfortunately 2 weeks before my surgery I had some traumatic family issues going on and Started smoking again. I was very honest with all of my pre op testing and made sure the nurses and everyone knew. I was so happy they didnt cancel my surgery cause I would have been devistated even more. I am still smoking now, but plan on getting another dose of Chantix when I go back to my PCP next month.

When I quit before, I kept myself busy playing Wii, it was brand new. My mom (when she tries to quit) uses either a straw that she cut down or these fake cigarettes that are all filter. they have the same feel and look as a cigarette. Once I also tried dumdum lollypops and would hold them like cigarettes, but unless they come in sugar free now, thats not a great idea.

Good luck to you...I know its hard, but you have already come this far, dont give up now. It was so nice to be a non smoker. To not have to stop and buy them, to not have to find a place to smoke....
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

rosebud1957
on 6/23/09 11:23 pm
I to have stopped smoking since Feb 1/09. My lap band was on Feb 4Th. I've only lost 20 lbs so far, but I'm very proud of my accomplishment after being at least a thirty year smoker or more.
I use an electric cigarette.You can find it @ www.smoke51.com This is the only thing that has worked for me & I love it.   I wish you luck!

rosebud1957

knailnhair
on 6/23/09 11:44 pm - Milford, NJ
I quit cold turkey after my first appt with my surgeron on Feb 27th. I had my surgery May19th...

I had a few before surgery, it's tough. I will have urges and would love to have one. One thing I can't stand now is the smell of smoke...if I'm walking into a store and someone is smoking at the entrance, it's makes me sick to smell it!

My hardest times are when I'm driving in my car....so I tried sucking on Tootsie Pops, then chewed gum....now I just keep a water bottle with me.

Good luck and stay tough!!!

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

farleyskat
on 6/24/09 5:20 am - St. Helen, MI
Hi.  I quit smoking a few years ago.  I was a 2-pack a day smoker for about 20 years.  My last one was 11:59 p.m. on December 31st, 2005.  It's the only New Year's resolution I ever kept.  I just quit cold turkey.  Even though I still craved them, I just wouldn't allow myself to buy any, so if I didn't have them, I couldn't smoke them.  I didn't quit for surgery, though.  My surgery was just five weeks ago.  I quit because my little sister lives with me and she had just finished treatments for the first time she had cancer.  I figured she was suffering enough, let alone living with smoke (she's never smoked).  I can honestly say, quitting smoke was alot easier than dieting and losing weight!  I wish weight loss was as easy as that.  One thing that really seemed to help me in the beginning was to sing out loud.  Loud and often.  I didn't care who could hear me.  It's fun and keeps your mouth occupied and helps your lungs get back in shape.  Just my thoughts.
Good luck with the smoking and your surgery.
Kat

MDS79
on 6/24/09 10:13 am
There's a wonderful website that will help you stay smokefree - Quitnet.com. Please try it. After almost 40 years of smoking and many failed attempts to quit, I found Quitnet and have been a non-smoker with no slips for exactly 2009 days! 

Mary

Most Active