Just got my surgery date - less than one month away

conniec711
on 6/22/09 4:19 am - Brooklyn, NY
I just got my surgery date for the Realize Band...I am so excited but I am also nervous.

Surgery is slated for July 15 2009 - 4 days after my 39th birthday...I always give myself a birthday gift every year...I will never be able to top this...the mother of all gifts.

My liquid diet starts on July 1st, and I am looking for people who have had their procedures and want to share how they felt, progressed etc at each stage (on the liquid diet before and after surgery, adding of food, what types of foods worked well for you, filling of the band and over all weight loss progress).

Can't wait to hear all of your tips and progress.

Connie
kathkeb
on 6/22/09 4:58 am
Congrats, Connie --

The time will fly and the time will drag --- as silly as that sounds.

I did not have to do a pre-op diet, but I did take the time before my surgery to eat slowly, eat small bites, stop drinking during my meals.

I bought a sippy cup (to mask some of the protein smell from some of the supplements).
I bought baby spoons -- to help me take small bites.

I bought different types of protein supplements (Muscle Milk, Isopure clear, Syntha-6)
I bought Unjury unflavored to add to puddings, soup, jello, etc.

The hardest thing for the first 2 weeks after surgery (for me) was getting adequate hydration and protein --- just not hungry, and just cannot eat/drink very much or very fast, so i got terribly bored with the whole thing -- LOL

I also had Liquid Extra Strength Tylenol on hand -- my doctor's prescription for pain meds was percocet tablets, and I was scared to try to swallow one --- so I took the Tylenol and did fine.

Best of luck -- ask any questions you can think of -- we are glad to offer advice and opinions!
Kath

grandbaychick
on 6/22/09 6:53 am - Grand Bay, AL
First of all, congratulations and good luck on your upcoming surgery!

I too had to do the 10 day liquids prior to surgery and 2 weeks of liquids after!  To be honest the 10 day pre-surgery was awful...but you'll make it.  Afterwards, it was mostly head hunger and I just had to stay away from the kitchen and let my husband take over or do microwave meals for the kids when DH worked late evenings.  You'll get thru this too.  Now, I'm on pureed and I'm in heaven!!    So far altogether I've lost 20 lbs (9 of that prior to surgery).  And am excited to receive my first fill in about 3 weeks. 

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

“Whether you think you can or think you can’t… You’re right.?  - Henry Ford
Height-5'10 Heaviest-335 Weight at surgery-315 Goal 199 

skelly
on 6/23/09 11:19 am - Garland, TX
REALIZE Band on 05/04/09 with
Congrats!

My pre-op diet was Slim-Fast shakes or meal bars, with a dinner of lean protein and a serving of veggies.  I lost 9 pounds in two weeks.

My post-op diet was full liquids for two weeks (protein shakes, skim milk, strained soups, thin cream of wheat, thin instant mashed potatoes, applesauce, yogurt) and then four weeks of a soft foods diet (adding ground meats, cooked veggies, canned fruit, eggs, toast).  I lost 19 pounds between my surgery date and my first fill at 6.5 weeks....not bad for "bandster hell". 

I did not have any fluid in my band after surgery.  I now have 2cc's after my fill.

I love my band!

conniec711
on 6/23/09 4:19 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for all the tips....I can't wait.....I am sure that I am going to love mine too...

Most Active