Stress Eating

sharvey1963
on 6/17/09 3:53 am - Borden, IN

I have notice that I have been stress eating, working 2 jobs trying to keep the bills paid, my husband isn't working, so trying to keep everything going is causing me to eat more and I know this isn't what I want, but I am not sure how to stop it.

Does anyone know or have any ideas that might help stop the Stress eating, other than my husband finding a job, I know that would help out a heck of a lot, but not sure when that is going to happen, I sure hope soon real soon it has been almost a year.  

But my main job is the biggest stress of all, I have been trying to deal with the stress but I guess with everything else going on in my life, I have come back to food.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Susan
Realize Band ,1st fill 3cc - Aug 14, 08,2nd fill 1cc  - Oct 2, 08
3rd fill  2cc - Nov 13, 08,4th fill1cc - Jan 8, 09,5th fill 3/4 cc - March 26, 09

arielared
on 6/17/09 7:43 pm - Stamford, CT
My sympathies to you for all your troubles.  In these economic times, we are all grateful to have a job.  We are afraid to leave a hateful job or to make complaints for fear of losing that job.  

Stress is a terrible part of our lives, and you are having to deal with a lot of it.  Whether we have the band or not, we "food addicts" find comfort in eating.  Remember that there are emotional and physical components to eating.  Carbohydrates seem to ease the anxiety of stress, which is why we seek out sweets and such.  They make our brains calmer and happier.  Unfortunately, they don't change our financial cir****tances.   

It may sound foolish to you when someone suggests relaxation exercises, but there is a physical benefit from de-stressing activities such as a warm bath, deep breathing, soothing music and walking in a peaceful place such as a park or waterfront.  Eating is counter-productive, as it causes you to react with guilt and anger, thereby increasing your stress level.  Perhaps writing a journal and expressing your fears and angers will help to release them from your body.  Hey, how about hubby giving you a nice foot massage?  Then, you can give him a nice foot massage!  Yes, definitely better than eating.

As to your stressful job, is there any way in which you can improve your work environment?  Can the work be modified to be made more efficient?  Is there a co-worker with whom you can share a laugh or a gripe?

Does it help you to keep in contact with this support group?  If yes, keep it up. 

Just remember, things can always get alot worse, so be grateful that you don't have more.  Try to keep smiling (there is definitely a physical benefit from forcing a smile onto your face).  Best wishes.

Ariela, (giving you a sympathetic hug)
Most Active