Help: how tired were you? when did you start to work out?

Paulette L.
on 6/14/09 8:13 am
Hello Bansters,
Well I am 5 days out (yeah) and I am TIRED...my guess is that I am on the clear liquid diet for a week (hence getting no protein/carbos) so I think this is normal. But can anyone tell me how long they were tired for? Do most bandsters do a full week of just broth, water, and sugar free pops? Also I am wondering how soon eveyone started some moderate exercise? And finally (sorry so many questions), when I drink I can feel the water going down slowly  and it feels different that pre-surgery....could this mean that I already have some degree of restriction already? Not sure if anyone understands this but it is like the bottom half of my stomach will growl (REALLY HUNGRY) however the top part make me feel full sometimes with all the liquid? Help does this make any sense?
Paulette

(start wt. 210, current 186, goal 150) Surgery Date: 6/10, Doctor Katz, PA

Greg M.
on 6/14/09 9:00 am - Cincinnati, OH
Paulette,

The restriction that you are feeling is most probably swelling at the surgery site and around your band.  Please follow the rules that your doctor laid out and don't cheat.  I was back to work in a week and back to the gym in 3 or 4 week...I don't remember.  It took me a full 3 months before I felt rally good for my step/ab classes.  Take it easy and don't be in a big hurry to get your fills.  It really takes time to heal up.  Good luck!

Greg

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

Paulette L.
on 6/14/09 10:29 am
Hi Greg,
Thanks so much for your feedback it is very valulable info to me! I had read that the swelling can give you a false idea of restriction I just was so unsure of how long it takes to really feel "back to my old self" again. I am glad you let me know in your experience that it may have taken you 4 weeks or so to get back to the gym. I DONT want to over do it too soon and believe in following "to the letter" all the dr. orders. Everyone who has been successfull has told me the same thing. Listen to your dr. and you will do great ....so I am! Still hungry however! Thanks so much for your reply it really helped me tonight :)
Be well.
Paulette

(start wt. 210, current 186, goal 150) Surgery Date: 6/10, Doctor Katz, PA

kathkeb
on 6/14/09 11:39 am
My doctor lets me go back to the gym after 2 weeks ---- to ride the bike, walk on the treadmill or work on the elliptical.

He said to start easy -- and work up.
I am not going to lift any weights (can't lift more than 15 pounds for about a month anyway)

I am currently walking about 30 minutes each night (started that at about day 7), but I am also taking about a 45 minute nap each day.

The 'restriction' you feel is probably swelling -- and yes, I understand and feel just like you do!

Hang in there --- it gets easier to drink more and more each day.
"eat" as often as you need to in order to not go crazy -- get plenty of fluid!
Kath

PSJ71
on 6/14/09 1:11 pm - Blanchard, OK
Hi!

This is absolutely NOT related to the original post, but I just had to say I get so excited when I read all of you who are newly banded. I simply cannot wait and am starting to get impatient! I am hoping that my next appointment with my doc (the 22nd) that he will give the go ahead to submit to my insurance. Then, I just pray that I get approved.

I wish you all the best with your bands and I Hope the weight melts off.

And for Paulette, it's good to see another Paulette.

Starting WT:  275   Surgery Wt:  248.8   Current Wt: 202.5 Goal:  140

Greg M.
on 6/14/09 5:54 pm - Cincinnati, OH
Hi Paulette,
Welcome to the forum and soon to be losers bench!  I totally understand your excitement and impatience...I have been there.  This band has been a real gift, not only because I have lost over 50 lbs but mostly because my diabetes is in remission.  I was taking 2 oral medicines and one injectable medicine twice a day.  On top of that I was sticking myself for testing 3 times a day, so I have gone from 5 sticks a day to 2 sticks a week.  I just can't tell you how great that is.  Now for the bad part...my band has slipped out of position (way to low on my stomach) and I'm having it fixed tomorrow.  So I have to start all over with the fills and restriction business.  On top of that my weight loss center is closing so my fills with have to be with a new doctor and I love the group I go to now.  It makes me very sad.  The reason I'm telling you all of this is to drive home the point of healing up and being patient about getting fills.  Many people are over anxious (I was one of them) and then they have problems.  I'm not sure what caused my slip because for the most part I was pretty good about following the rules.  Did I over eat once in a while, yes; did I eat too fast sometimes, yes; did I not chew up my food thoroughly sometimes, yes; did I rush my exercise and go at it too hard, yes.  So at the end of the day, I'm not really sure why this happened so all I can tell you and my other bandster friends is be careful, be patient, and follow the rules.  The payoff is worth it!
Greg

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

knailnhair
on 6/15/09 3:41 am - Milford, NJ
Hi Paulette...

I was on clear liquids for 3 days after surgery, then went to full liquids until my 2 week appt. I'm on mushie foods for another two weeks then can start solids.

Being tired is all part of it...you're recovering from abdominal surgery and some anethesia may still be lingering in  your system as well. On Friday I'll be 4 weeks out from surgery and I'm just starting to get some extra energy...I'm noticing I'm staying up later at night, not needing a nap on Sunday's. I was able to exercise after my 2 week appt with my surgeon.

The restriction you are feeling is probably just being swollen from your surgery. From what I'm the  bands are put in empty.....

Good luck!!!

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

Most Active