Advil/Motrin.....

sunshine86
on 6/19/09 2:36 pm
Thank you for all of the info and suggestions.

I haven't taken any advil since I posted this.... I've only been taking Demerol.

Unfortunately, I'm extreeeemely allergic to vicodin and Lortab.... so those are out. (Bummer, huh? LOL)

The Demerol definitely helped take the edge off..... but I'm definitely going to have to ask about getting some sort of anti-inflammatory. Advil has been my only saving grace during PMS time.... I have PCOS so I get HORRIBLE cramps and cysts...... I'm a little heartbroken that I can't take it anymore, lol.

But I definitely don't wanna risk ulcers. Sigh.

I have my post-op appointment on Tuesday.... I have a list I've been compiling of questions to ask, lol.

HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

fl2bfit
on 6/19/09 11:52 pm
I read afterwards that you were allergic and my though was exactly - that STINKS!!!  Vicodin is my saving grace without the anti-inflammatories - the only thing that will work if the pain is bad...  I still try not to take it - opt for Tylenol - which amazingly is fine if it's moderate... if it's mild I just tough it out.  I hear you on the anti-inflammatories - was one of my concerns about surgery - worried about pain...  The only alternative I've found are the patches, but they're terribly expensive and limited in scope - they only work where you put them...  :(  You might have to take Prilosec or something to coat your tummy and then a NSAID (some are gentler than others) during the time of month you need it.  Hopefully you'll get some answers.  If you get one for the diarrhea let me know! :)
DitzyBlonde
on 6/23/09 6:22 am - AL
My doctor says to PERMANENTLY avoid the following medications because they can cause ulcers: 

Advil
Aspirin
BC Powder
Excedrin
Motrin
Aleve
Ibuprofen
NSAIDS (non-steriodal anti-imflammatory drugs)

For relief of headaches or arthritis pain take:

Liquid Tylenol
Children's Chewable Tylenol
Excedrin Acetaminophen Quick Tabs

sunshine86
on 6/23/09 7:37 am
Thanks for the info, everyone!

I talked to my surgeon today at my 2-week post op appointment... he said I could take Advil occasionally.... but to not overdo it.

Fortunately though, I haven't been experiencing any back pain or cramps since surgery.... hopefully it won't be as big of a problem as I lose weight!! :)
HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

Most Active