Am I Eating Too Much?!

Peterson908
on 6/10/09 9:14 am
Hello fellow bandsters and bandsters-to-be

So... Today makes 2 weeks that I am officially a bandster! I'm healing very well and feeling great! I can even sleep on my stomach (for 2 days now)!

Anyways, today was my first day of "soft foods." According to my packet from my surgeon... it seems to me this includes everything but beef, thick chicken, rice, and dense breads.

So... I've been keeping track of my daily calories/fat/protein and of course water. Here is what I had today...

7 am : 27 Calories in vitamins and calcium.

Breakfast 7:20am: 5 oz
2 Serving of egg beaters
1 slice of FF chedder (made like an omlete)
2 Slices of whole grain toast

Lunch 12:10pm -  4 oz
Tuna lite pouch
2 tablespoons of Helmens lite mayo
1/2 cup natural applesauce

Dinner 4:20pm - 10.5 oz (omg)
1 serving Whole grain penne pasta
Barilla garlic tomato sauce
canned chicken (looks like tuna)

Snack maybe this evening around 7:30. - 4oz
FF Frozen yogurt

Liquids:
64 oz water
8 oz  FF milk

Total Cal: 980 (including a possible snack)  Total Fat: 17.5     Total Protein: 87g!

Oh and 400 calories burned on the elliptical this evening after dinner.

Okay, so my big question... Am I eating too much?! I honestly didn't think I would be able to eat this much. I was eating like this (1000-1200 cal diet) for 3 weeks before my surgery and feel like I'm back on track. That damn full liquid phase threw me off. Anyways... I'm FULL! (or should I say satisfied?) Whichever... I was happy today with eating and when I was doing this "diet" before surgery I was ALWAYS hungry!

Also... since today is 2 weeks post op,  I weighed myself and have only lost 7lbs since I've been home. (However I came home 4 lbs heavier from the gas, so i guess that is a total of 11lbs). I'm not too thrilled. BUT I am not discouraged!

Just another happy bandster,
Phyllis

"Today is gone, today was fun. From here to there, there to here, funny things are everywhere!"
- Dr. Suess          SW - 252, CW - 213, GW - 140/150. (25 lbs lost pre-op)       Banded - 5/27/09

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/09 9:25 am
Hi - I am surprised you can eat toast at this stage.  Then again - I still can't handle it 4 1/2 months out.  I pretty much had 1/2 cup servings per meal at your point.  You may have healed
quickly though.  You have to be careful because until you have your fills and reach your "sweet spot" you can be in danger of eating too much.  Keep up with the 70+ grams of protein a day.
Perhaps substitute a meal with an Isopure?  Hope this helps.
Peterson908
on 6/10/09 9:30 am
Thanks so much for yor response!!

I'm surprised also, but i do chew till everything feel like mush, i eat small bites, and i stop between each bite.

Oh no... not those protein drinks again?!?! I couldn't stomach ANY of them and held my nose everyday just to get the needed grams of protein down! I mean if I have no other choice I will do what is needed... I don't want to do anything to hurt my band.

"Today is gone, today was fun. From here to there, there to here, funny things are everywhere!"
- Dr. Suess          SW - 252, CW - 213, GW - 140/150. (25 lbs lost pre-op)       Banded - 5/27/09

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/09 9:44 am
Try grape Isopure over crushed ice.  Almost like a real treat! 
Peterson908
on 6/10/09 9:45 am
Hmm the guy DID say that grape is like almost always sold out! I guess it must be for a reason! lol. I'll give it a try. 

kathkeb
on 6/10/09 9:45 am
Not sure what your doctor/nutrutionist recommend, but I think that 1,000 on days that you are exercising is great.

I might re-think the pasta (and have eaten some protein-rich meatballs in place of that).

I move on to mushies on Friday - and cannot wait to cut back on the 'fake-sweet' taste of the protein drinks.

Keep in mind that once you start getting fills, you may have to re-think the carb-y stuff (bread, pasta) --- but for now, if you can eat like this and lose 1 - 2 pounds a week -- do it!
Kath

Peterson908
on 6/10/09 9:51 am
 Thanks so much for your response! =)

You are right about the pasta. I didn't think it was too horrible of a choice for having 10grams of protein and calcium and being whole grain. But I may have to star****ching carbs (never really had a problem with them before). We'll see as I move forward in this journey.

kathkeb
on 6/10/09 9:48 am
Phyllis -- my only other comment is that it seems like a long time between breakfast and lunch.

From a 'blood sugar' standpoint, you might want to eat 1 piece of toast at breakfast and then something light 3 hours later -- for a snack between the 2 meals (1/2 a cheese stick, or a little yogurt or something).

And yippee on the sleeping on your stomach -- I am 5 days out and can't wait!!!
Kath

Peterson908
on 6/10/09 9:54 am
 Tell me about it.... sleeping on my stomach is a big deal! LOL!!!!!!!

Yeah I do have a break from 9:15-10:15 (I'm a teacher - 9.5 more school days!!!!!!!!!) I'll try a small snack then. I bring them... today I brought 2 applesauces and a yogurt and only ate 1/2 of a applesauce with my lunch... just not hungry and way busy!

destinydog
on 6/10/09 11:50 am - hopatcong, NJ

my diet seems much different i eat 3 4oz meals a day and for snacks between breakfast and lunch i have a protein shake...

try max protein thier choc chip mint is amazing..

btw i lost 40lbs in my first 6 weeks since surgery.

I spend 1 hour in the gym 5 days per week...

Most Active