Rave review for the banders!

M M
on 6/8/09 10:17 pm, edited 6/8/09 10:55 pm

Bariatric Advantage Chocolate Calcium Carbonate Chew (500mg) 60 count

1110106_l
Another amazing chewy bite from Bariatric Advantage.  When I received this bag'o'bites I was super excited, because I adored the last batch of calcium and vitamin D bites.DSC_3263

BA says:

Calcium that tastes like dessert – Wow! The Bariatric Advantage Calcium Carbonate Chewy Bite was designed to help meet the calcium needs of those with restrictive weight loss surgery procedures, such as the Adjustable Gastric Band. It is also a great calcium choice for those who are preparing for bariatric surgery. Our Calcium Carbonate Chewy Bites deliver 500 mg of elemental calcium as calcium carbonate in a delicious chew. They also contain 200 IU of vitamin D3 and 40 mcg of vitamin K for the support of overall bone health. These chews are sugar-free as well, so you don’t have to worry about getting extra carbs while you get the calcium you need. Each chew is individually wrapped so you can take them with you wherever you go.

The difference here or "why are you reviewing the same thing?" 

These bites are calcium carbonate, a choice for pre-ops, gastric banded patients, vertical sleeve gastroplasties, any other RESTRICTIVE procedure... or anyone without a gastric BYPASS

Current ASMBS guidelines for postoperative daily vitamin supplementation for gastric banding are the following:

*    1 high-potency adult multivitamin-mineral supplement containing 100 percent of daily value for   at least two-thirds of nutrients, including 18mg of iron, 400mg folic acid, zinc, and selenium.
*    1,500mg additional elemental calcium split into doses of 500 to 600mg each
*    (Optional: B50 complex)

In fact "normals" could utilize these particular bites for calcium and vitamin D supplementation.  *waves to the non-WLS'er readers, and my mother.*

The nutrition:

DSC_3264

DSC_3265 

The recommendation for most is typically 1K-1500 mg. of calcium... each is 500 mg. 

Yes, it's adding OMG!? calories, but come on, get real, that's nothing.  They are sweetened with polyglycitol and sucralose, and if you decide to binge on your calcium?  Laxation may occur, don't.

"Polyglycitol syrups are a specialty category of hydrogenated starch hydrolysates. These syrups are based on sorbitol and maltitol, both of which are present in levels less than 50%. They contain lesser amounts of hydrogenated oligo- and polysaccharides and maltotriitol. Syrup is its typical form, but it can also be dried and supplied as a solid product."

The bites come in a bag.  Individually wrapped in silver wrap.  They are about the size of a "Starburst" candy.  Each bite is a dark chocolate color, with a entirely smooth appearance, sort of like a chocolate "Starburst!"  No, wait...

DSC_3269

Let me eat some.

DSC_3271

The taste, brownie batter, but this time it is entirely smooth. DSC_3273 

Calcium carbonate breaks down with no discernible texture, whereas citrate (no matter how it's packaged) has a slight grit.  The bites are super chewy, and taste like chocolate brownie batter, and not like a Tootsie Roll!  (I have a thing about Tootsie Roll flavor, no likey.)   These are awesome.

• Product - Bariatric Advantage Chocolate Calcium Carbonate Chew (500mg), 60 count
  • Via - Bariatric Advantage
  • Price - $9.99
  • Pros - Little chews of SMOOTH brownie love!  ;)  Taking calcium, especially if you've been tainted by yucky calcium or choking down horse pills - can be a pleasure.
  • Cons - 
  • Rating - Pouchworthy, MM I would suggest these to non-WLS girls also, who need additional calcium, and are diabetic or would rather not have sugary calcium chews.

Other BA Reviews:

Most Active