Chest pressure and tightness

lmonaghan
on 6/9/09 3:50 am
Hi

I'm new to this forum.  I just had my surgery 5 days ago and I have been having some problems with chest pressure and pain.  Especially when I try to take a deep breath.  Is this normal?  I am wondering if I'm having indigestion.  I take Prevasid every day.  I called my doctor and am waiting for someone to call me back.

Thanks
jennitho21
on 6/9/09 6:25 am - Fort Huachuca, AZ
I had alot of chest pain and pressure in the week post op, I was informed it was just gas pressure from having had the surgery and that it should subside by the 5th-10th day or so, I was pretty good to go by day 8.
  SW-276/CW-182/GW-150
karrenn
on 6/9/09 1:39 pm
Your where told right, once again I had the same thing.  Chest pain and pressure when I took a deep breath.  Its a mixture of gas pain and just the surgery itself.  Best thing you can do is continue to take those deep breaths so you don" t get fluided in your lungs.  I am two weeks post op and the pain and pressure went away.  Try the Gas x strips.
Karen
Farmgirl58
on 6/9/09 6:57 am - AL
Hi,, Welcome to our site...it is very informative and interesting.  I was banded on the 18th of may and have had no complications, gas pains, or any bad symptons.  Are you following your doctors diet...no using straws, no carbonated beverages, drink slow, sip, not gulp?  I know everyone is different and will experience symptoms others maynot.   Are you walking a lot?  That will also help with the gas pains.  Just follow what the doctor's orders are, and what the nutritionist suggest, and you will be fine.  Let us know how you are doing?  We all do care about each other.
Farmgirl 58
James M.
on 6/9/09 7:16 am - SAGINAW, MN
I was banded on may 27 and I started getting that chest pain at about day 5 also. thought I was having a freakin heart attack! I had that on and off for like 4 days and its pretty much gone now.I think maybe part of it is a big time  hunger pang. I'M kind of learning as I go and my best info comes from the wonderful people on this site and have had really limited or no advice from my doctor or his staff. someone mentioned it might be the onset of bandster hell and that seems right from the responses Ive gotten. we're not in this alone GoodLuck
MARTY

karrenn
on 6/9/09 1:35 pm
You may be getting the pain from eating something too heavy or too much.  I got the same thing when I was post op two weeks and mixed my cream of chichen soup with milk instead of water and than ate too much of it. Alot is trial and error. But I will never do that again.  Hang in there.
Karen
RobynJC
on 6/10/09 12:26 am
Hello,

I had something similar after I was banded and it was gas pains.  You may want to try taking some of the GasEx dissolve strips and walk-walk-walk. 

Also, I found that for the first month or so after the surgery, I became lactose intolerent (I never was before and it resolved so I am ok now).  That caused those gas pains and made me overall miserable.  When I mentioned it to my Nurse Practioner at my post op visit, she suggested using Lactaid Milk or Soy Milk and switching to Isopure protein.  Because many of the protein powders have lactose (Isopure doesn't) when compbined with milk, it is a a lot of lactose for the body to handle.  Anestisia can kill some of the good bacteria in the gut, so your body many not be able to process that lactose correctly. 

This may not be the cause of your problem, but it might be worth a shot. 

Good luck and congrats on your surgery.

Robyn
lmonaghan
on 6/10/09 2:14 am
Thank you so much for all of your help.  I feel so much better.  I do think it was gas pain.  I also find that I am so hungry that I am feeling sick to my stomach.  I don't know how anyone can make the first week on clear liquids only.  It's killing me!!  Also, how much did you lose on your first week.  I really haven't lost anything yet.  I don't get it.  Any other time I dieted I would always lose in the first week and I was eating.  It doesn't make any sense.
Tom C.
on 6/10/09 3:13 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I had the same thing, but then I realized it was because of the tube they put down my throat. It went away after a week.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active