Information

thedgepeth1
on 6/4/09 4:01 am - Nashville, NC
I am due to have the realize band on June 29 and I have done alot of research on it. Also, this site is very helpful with advice but I think there may be something I do not know about or forgot to ask.

So I ask:
What is something you wish someone would have told you about surgery before you actually had it... to make you more prepared?
"No weapon formed against me shall prosper... it won't work"

kathkeb
on 6/4/09 6:16 am
The best thing I have done before surgery is to get involved in the local Support Groups in my town.
I have met so many people who have had all types of WLS -- and talking with them and watching them eat has really educated me.

Good luck to you!  June 29 will be here before you know it.
Kath

tbines401
on 6/4/09 12:25 pm - Columbia, SC
I wish I would have asked about the no Motrin thing. I am a big Motrin fan when I have menstrual cramps so now I am like what do I do, because my doctor says no to Motrin for me.
thedgepeth1
on 6/4/09 2:31 pm - Nashville, NC
Thanks for the information!

Cynthis99
on 6/4/09 11:12 pm
Good question... Im having my Realize band put on on July 7th, so I will follow this post too!
frankh
on 6/5/09 7:13 am
hey there, im kind of curious, why does your docter not want you to take motrin. This is the only thing i use for pain. i never asked my doc but he never said anything about it either.               thanks    Frank
thedgepeth1
on 6/5/09 2:58 pm - Nashville, NC
That question came up in our support group meeting the other da and she said something about it cause ulcers and they will not causing problems with your pouch or/and band.

Mary B.
on 6/5/09 2:43 am - Southern, MD
I spent so much time here reading all the posts, reading anything I could find online and even watched surgeries on YouTube.

Honestly, i was afraid because in my pre-ops I didnt have any questions to ask the dr.

Do your research. I was very afraid for a couple people at my pre-op nut class and the questions they were asking. It was like the never read anything about the band!

my best advice is to walk, walk, walk after surgery!

Good Luck!
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

RobynJC
on 6/10/09 12:41 am
I was banded on 3/23 and will never regret doing it.  But the one thing that I wish I were more prepared for was the emotional changes I have (and still am sometimes) gone through.  For me, eating was a way to relieve stress.  It was a soothing thing to do. 

The surgery itself is stressful and the post-op regime can be too.  Now that my go-to for stress relief has been dramatically reduced I find myself being much more moody and anxious.  I had done a lot of research before being banded and was very comfortable with all of the physical things that would be happening.  But the phychological side isn't really talked about as much. 

Don't let this discourage you in any way, I still believe that this is the best thing that I have ever done for myself.  But be aware that you will need to create new coping mechanisms and be prepared for mood swings. 

Good luck with your surgery. 
Most Active