I am afraid I may be making the wrong choice. Can I lose 212 pounds with Realize?

rayneenie
on 6/3/09 6:22 pm - Neoga, IL
Ok I have chosen gastric banding because I feel like it is less invasive, however I have an extreme amount of weight to lose. My highest was 430, I am now at 387 but would like to weigh no more than 175.  I am scared that maybe I wont be able to lose that amount of weight with the realize band.  Is there anyone else who has lost over 200 pounds with the banding system? If so how hard was it and how quickly did it come off?
kathkeb
on 6/4/09 1:14 am
you should check the Lap Band board also.

There was a just a posting thread, 2 days ago, about starting weights/weight lost.

There are people over there who started where you are -- and have lost to their goals.

It was not fast and it was not easy, but they met their goals.

Good luck!
Kath

frankh
on 6/4/09 1:33 am
I need to lose down to 180lbs. from 318 lbs. I had my surgury  on november 25th of 2008. So far to date ive lost down to 235lbs which is 83 lbs.  If you follow  a diet of no more than 1200 calories a day and exercise at least 1 hour a day the weight will melt off pretty quickly. Just remember that no matter what surgury you choose. it is only a tool to help you lose weight. If you dont change your eating habits and exercise weight loss surgury will not help you. My sister had  bypass surgury 3 years ago and she lost 160 pounds following a good diet and exercise program. As soon as she went back to her bad eating habits and stopped exercising she has  gained back most of the weight she lost pretty quickly. know that i am here if you need me,and good luck with what ever type of surgury you choose.                Frank.
Mary B.
on 6/4/09 4:06 am - Southern, MD
There was another post on the lab band page just started that you may be interested in. Its usually buiser over there! LOL Good luck to you!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/3947583/Anybody-ne ar-365lbs-have-the-lapband/
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

BroomHilda
on 6/4/09 3:26 pm
You can do it !!!! Just as long as you believe that you can!!! It is all about mind set. Remember we did not get fat over night so you can not expect to get skinny over night either. If you stay focused and determined by golly you will achieve your goals. The weight comes off in waves. The more you exercise and follow the rules the longer the weight loss will be but there are stalls where you loose nothing. Its hard but you can not freak out during this time..

Take Care,

Broom

Starting Weight 346.7lbs Current Weight 199lbs Goal Weight 150lb
Tom C.
on 6/4/09 10:34 pm, edited 6/4/09 10:41 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Rayneenie,

The honest answer .. maybe ...

Studies show that most:

Band patients (Realize or Lap) lose about 60% of thier excess body weight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjustable_gastric_band)

Bypass patients tend to lose about 80%

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roux-en-Y_gastric_bypass_surger y#Variations_of_the_gastric_bypass)

However, the truth is .. it depends on the patient. If you follow the rules, and are motivated, then you can surpass these averages. If you don't follow the rules, and cheat, then you won't succeed.

I had the Realize band January 2008. So far I have lost 170 pounds in 16 months (with only 2 fills). I am past the 60% range, and I am still losing. MY personal goal is 220. I may never hit that goal, but it's something I will definitely strive for. Even if it takes another 10 years. I am in NO RUSH to get there.

If I never lose another pound I will be happy. .. and that's what I tell all folks who are planning on having either operation. Set yourself your "ultimate" goal (mine 220) .. then set yourself a "happy" goal (mine 250) .. finally set yourself a "realistic happy" goal - the goal if you never lost another pound you'd be happy with (mine was 275 and I am below that) so mine is now 260). Mind you, all these goals can change when you get to it .. but not matter what, always strive to your ultimate goal, but never get upset if you don't get there. AS LONG AS YOU LOST WEIGHT BE HAPPY.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active