How much weight can I expect to lose at first

msd_2472
on 5/24/09 4:25 am
I am getting the band June 9th.  I have lost 20 lsbs since my first dr visit and I will start my all liquids Tuesday.  Just wondering how fast I can expect to lose weight at first.  Also, has anyone had a lot of excessive skin problems after their weight loss?

Thanks so much!
frankh
on 5/24/09 5:06 am
hi,     ive had my band for exactly 6 months now and have lost 80 pounds. I started  at 308 ,now at 228 lbs. ive had 3 fills since and im at my sweetspot which is 4.5 cc's. I keep my daily calories between 1000 and 1200  calories a day. I also exercise about 10 hours a week,which consists of 7 hrs. treadmill and 3 hrs weight lifting. Exercise and  watching your calories is vital to you seeing alot  of progress. My docter says that I am losing weight as fast as his bypass patients.I can see that im going to have some skin sage when I reach my goal weight of 180 lbs,but it doesnt look like its going to be to bad. I guess it just depends on how heavy you were and how much your stomach  was stretched. Anyway wish you  all the luck on your journey to losing weight.
kathkeb
on 5/25/09 5:28 am
Congratulations!  You are clearly the exception to the rule in terms of weight loss.

You have done a remarkable job --- and I am sure that your committment to exercise and watching your calories plays a large part in that.

From my reading, it seems as though some people stall for a while right after surgery (fluid, gas from the actual procedure) and then go on to start losing 8 - 10 pounds per month if they are closely following their doctor's orders.

Remember that until you are filled to restriction, you are just 'dieting with a band' -- and proper restriction can take several months to achieve.

Be careful comparing your weight loss to others --
Kath

frankh
on 5/25/09 6:35 am
thanks kath,   But really anyone could have similar results as me . You just have to get it in your head to keep your calories no higher than 1200 cals and working out hard for about 10 hours a week. before i started I had type 2 diabetes , high blood pressure ,and high colesteral.. as of  the past month i have come off of all my medications and no longer suffer from any of these deseases. I knew in my mind that if i didnt work hard and do this I probably would have died in another 10 years. Im going to continue to work hard forever and get down to 180lbs and keep it there. thats where i was 24 years ago when i got married. .Good luck to you kath, i know you can reach your goal.
janice A.
on 5/24/09 6:51 am - san angelo, TX

I was banded Feb. 11, have lost 31 lbs. I lost some right after surgery then after my 1st fill then the 2nd, then i got sick and stalled.  I am due for another fill on Thursday. You will notice some loose alot faster and some slower.Every ones weight loss is different.  You cannot really compare your lbs lost to others cuz WE ARE ALL Different. WE all have different cir****tances, different metabolisms and different schedules. Your victories will be YOUR victories.
Do as your doc says and follow the band rules. You will do fantastic. 
The areas where we are alike are the stuck episodes, the pain after surgery, the feeling like we could eat all day,etc. We all share the same frustrations and we can all relate to each other. We all share the joy of loosing and love to share our victories with each other.
We will be here to support you and help you along your journey.
Good luck with Ur surgery.  Looking forward to hearing from u in the future.

long term

SW 303/ lapband/ 244 /335 pre-op/ revision 4/11

Tom C.
on 5/25/09 9:47 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

MSD_2472,

The answer is .. well .. we're all different ... For me, I lost 17 pounds the first 2 weeks, 50 pounds in almost 2 months .. 100 pounds in about 6 months ... 150 within a year .. And I only had 2 fills (6 months, and 1 year).

Now .. I make sure I watch everything I eat. I don't stray from the plan layed out for me. And I know what will trigger my frenzies, so I stay away from them.

With all this said .. after the initial weight loss, the average loss is 1 to 2 pounds a week. Also remember a typical Realized band patient is expected to lose up to 60% of their excess overweight. Not saying you can't lose more - heck I am trying my best to be the exception !! But try to be realistic what you want want to lose.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
frankh
on 5/26/09 2:59 am
hey there    wow you are doing fantastic, 150 in a year is great, im hoping to be down to my goal of 180lbs by  november which is 1 year out and a loss of 128lbs.. I know with hard work i can do it. good luck.
Tom C.
on 5/26/09 9:53 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Frank,

I am glad to see you have such a positive attitude. With an attitude like that, you WILL SUCCEED !!

However, even if you don't make your goal in one year - WHO CARES ?!!?! This isn't a race. Just make sure you keep your eye on the goal, and know you WILL HIT IT .. SOMEDAY !!

Know I am here if you need.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active