Can you drink regular coffee?

msd_2472
on 5/25/09 6:14 am
I see everyone saying decaf and just wondered if you can have regular coffee?  Also, has anyone had any rpoblems with spicy food?  I enjoy reading everyone's experiences.  I am so excited.
Farmgirl58
on 5/25/09 2:08 pm - AL
Hi, I drink reg. coffee everyday...just one or two cups, that is usally my limit, even before surgery.
I do know one thing, caffiene is a stimulant, and it could affect your appitite...but I have not had that problem.  I have had problems with spicy foods before the surgery, don't know after surgery, which I am only one week post op...CHEERS, and BEST WISHES   Farmgirl58
Tom C.
on 5/25/09 9:36 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

I must start off by saying ALWAYS GO BY YOUR DOCTOR GUIDELINES !! They have the experience of what will and won't cause success with your WLS.

Now with that said .. MY 
NUTRITIONISTS say NO - NO to Caffeine coffee !! MY DOCTOR say NO - NO to Caffeine coffee !! .... However, they both say ... If it's occasional then it's OK .. Also, if you're over 1 year out - and can get the recommended 64 ounces of water daily in, then having 1 to 2 cups is OK ... occasionally ... However, they both are dead set against having soda of any kind .. that's another debate.

As for spicy - both feel if you can tolerate it - then go for it.  Again, this is my Doctor/Nutritionists' feelings. Yours may be different - and I would go with them.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
frankh
on 5/26/09 2:13 am
to be honest with you i havent met a docter yet that doesnt say dont drink caffienated coffee everyday. and i know quite a few docters because my wife is a nurse at the local hospital. I always drink 1 large cup every morning. I have never had any problems with it. I also have eaten spicy food with no problems. The only thing that i have a problem with is steak and dry chicken, they both seem to get stuck in my asophigus when going down.
jla734
on 5/29/09 7:58 am - DE
  One of the doctors in my docs practice said the reason they say no to caffeine is because it can interfere with calcium absorption.

DEVOFR
on 5/30/09 6:22 am
I drink a cup of regular coffee every morning and as of this past Thursday I can have diet carbonated drinks (diet Pepsi) per my Doc's post-op diet plan. Am still a little scared to do anything other than take 2 or 3 sips of Diet Pepsi.
over50woman1
on 6/2/09 3:09 pm
They say caffeinated coffee is dehydrating.  maybe that is why.

Margie

Most Active