Returning back to work

Catina
on 5/20/09 1:58 am

Hello all, I was banded on May 12,2009 and  I was wondering what is the time line for me returning back to work. I feel okay but still sore. I was planning on returning after the holiday, but not sure if this will be possible. My stomach is still swollen from the surgery.  Please advise!  thanks

Catina       
WVSweetP
on 5/20/09 2:39 am
I was banded on a Wednesday and returned the following Monday. It was fine for me as I have a desk job and don't have to do any lifting. I guess it depends on you personally as to how you feel and also what it is that you do for a living. Good luck!
Catina
on 5/20/09 5:46 am
Were you still swollen when you returned to work? I'm having problem with my swollen stomach and being able to even fit into my current clothes. Is this normal after surgery?
Catina       
WVSweetP
on 5/20/09 10:34 pm
No, I didn't have any problems with swelling. I'm not sure if that is normal or not. I would think a little swelling would be expected. I lost weight really fast the first two weeks.  I believe I lost like 11 lbs first week and 8lbs then second week. Then I've only lost 2 lbs these past two weeks so I'd say that helped me with the "swelling".  Have you talked to your doctors office? I really wish you the best of luck!
Catina
on 5/21/09 8:35 am
I actually went to the doctor today and I have lost 9lbs since May 12!  I think that's a great start. Anyway, the doctor told me that I still have air in my stomach and the swelling should go down next week.  I'm not going back to wor****il June1st, so the swelling should be gone by then.
Catina       
tinabug2
on 5/22/09 6:04 pm
I am finally feeling better than I was and I was banded on the 15th.  I am supposed to go back this friday,which is a week away and if I continue to feel so much better from day to day like I've been doing, I think I will be able to handle it, but I won't be lifting if at all possible,don't want to mess anything up.
Catina
on 5/22/09 11:07 pm
Welll I'm glad that you are feeling better. I actually will not go back to wor****il June 1st. I wanted to allow myself more time to get use to this new life style.
Catina       
kathkeb
on 5/20/09 4:18 am
I am having my surgery on a Friday, and expect to take the following week off, and return to work after 10 days.

I do computer work from  home, and I am quite sure that I will be checking in and cleaning out my email by the 3rd day post-op -- but am not going to work full days.

Actually, because my leave is being covered by Short Term Disability, I am actually not 'allowed' to work -- but I think that might kill me ---- I hate being 'out of the loop' and feel so much better when I can just check in for a few minutes and put out any 'fires' that might be starting on my projects.
Kath

Catina
on 5/20/09 5:47 am
Hello Kathy,

My problem is my swollen stomach.  I cant fit into my current clothes. How long did it take for the swellen to go down?
Catina       
Tremellia
on 5/20/09 2:09 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Everyone is different....I was banded on a Wed. and went back on that Monday too.  I really felt fine, just a lot of shoulder pain from the gas.  If I could do it over I would have taken 1 extra day b/c I was so tired that Monday.  I think it's b/c I had a lot of pain meds in my system and that day I didn't take any....just listen to your body.  Maybe take at least a week off, but if you feel up to it go back a little early.  It may depend on what you do too....I'm a social worker so I just stuck with office stuff for my first week back.  Good Luck
Most Active