Was your surgery in a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence?

zparticle
on 5/18/09 8:17 am
I'm just curious.  I keep seeing messages from people that are getting huge amounts put in their bands on the first fill along with a lot of other things that seem dangerous to me.  I would like to know if your surgery was done in a program that is considered a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence and what your first fill amount was.

COE: Yes
FFA: 3 CCs

Now, I'm not a doctor and the program I'm in definately moves slow.  They keep you moving forward steadily but safely.  I'm just curious and I'm not saying anyones doctor is bad.  This is simply me being curious.

Center of excellence must meet these requirements:

• Must have adequate resources for bariatric patients
  • Must show excellent patient outcomes
  • Must prove institutional commitment at the highest level
  • Must have specialized bariatric patient equipment
  • Personnel is specially trained for bariatric patient care
  • Must have a large case volume
  • Must collect and maintain case management & outcomes data
  • Advanced practice personnel (FNP-C, PA-C)
  • Diet/Nutrition support
  • Psychological support
  • Dedicated bariatric patient care unit
  • Inservice education

anotherlisa
on 5/18/09 2:30 pm - OH

Yes..both my surgeon's practice & the hospital are COE's.  My first fill was 3.8cc's with fluro.  I think many surgeons opt using fluro on the first fill to both make sure all is ok and so they can give a better fill level based on the individual..thus they are often larger than would be given if it were a blind fill.  Mine uses the fluro for our first fill and then if/when they desire to check our restriction and/or at one yr to verify all is ok.  Our routine adjustments are much smaller and are based on how much we are eating and how much restriction we have.  

7/07 - 313  8/07 6mth diet - 304.8  4/21/08 pre-op - 267 surgery - 252
current - 192.5.....Ticker starts at 304.8

smilan
on 5/18/09 9:36 pm - GA

Yes, my surgeon's place is a BCBS Bariatric Center of Excellence. I got 5.5 cc's for my first fill under flouro.

Mary B.
on 5/19/09 12:47 am - Southern, MD
Yes, I had my surgery at a COE...they had an entire WLS wing! Thats why I chose them.

I have the Realize C band (11cc)

I had my first fill at 8 weeks post-op 3 cc

second fill four weeks later 2.5 cc.

Total 5.5. I was suprised that I got 2.5 on my second fill because my office seems a little conserviative. I think it was because I was whining about how I could probablly eat almost 4 cups of food if I wanted to! I have pretty good restriction now and may postpone my 3rd fill.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Brittnie S.
on 5/19/09 2:25 am - NV
yes my surgery was at a COE because it was required by my insurance. I got 4cc's on my first fill and 2cc's on my second and now have a total of 6cc's at the moment.

Farmgirl58
on 5/20/09 2:38 pm - AL
I was just banded this past Monday the 18th and yes, my surgeon is part of a team that has earned the Center of excellance, so has the hospital .  Everyone was well informed with information concerning Realize band and I felt very safe and secure having my surgery at this hospital.  I truly believe one should do research on the doctors and hospital before jumping in with both feet.  They also have a good support group, but being that I work 9hr days, and the hospital is 2hrs away, just cannot attend.  Wish there was a support group closer.  But the dietician did say that she could email me the topics of discussion and any surveys, test, etc. to do at home.  I think I may do that until I can find a support group closer to home.  Farmgirl58
carolw1229
on 5/26/09 8:41 am
VSG on 10/18/17
COE-Yes, they had just  applied for their accreditation when I began using this practice and by the time I had my surgery they were accredited.
FIrst fill under floro-4 cc
Second fill under floro- 2cc
Third fill in office/no floro- .5cc
Total in my Realize Band- 6.5 cc
peachwood
on 5/26/09 11:20 am - Milltown, NJ
I had my surgery done at an Center of Excellence where I also had my first fill twelve weeks later.  I had 8ccs put in under flouro.  It was easy to see when restriction was achieved and I felt it too.!!! Rather agressive but I had no restriction prior and virtually no weight loss. My doctor puts in what is necessary to achieve restriction under flouro.  There are no routine fills.  All are patient driven.
My doctor explained that the thickness of stomachs are very different depending on certain co-morbidities.  So the amount of fill will vary from patient to patient.  If the stomach tissue is thick less fill is needed and in my case a thinner stomach tissue will require more.

zparticle
on 5/26/09 11:28 am
This is what I was looking for someone that was at a COE that also got a massive first fill.  Thanks for sharing that.  I was wondering if anyone had this combo.
peachwood
on 5/27/09 10:25 am - Milltown, NJ
I am 2+ weeks out since my massive fill  8cc's and I feel fine.  I am losing again slowly.  I feel the restriction and know when to stop eating.  I have never "slimed, PB'd, or worse.  I am starting to like my band.  It is what I signed up for.
Most Active