1st Flouroscopic fill

tobi415
on 5/13/09 12:00 am
I am going for my first fill on June 3rd at the hospital in the radiology dept.  Anyone out there have an opinion of it, whether it is better (more accurate) than a "blind fill"? From what I understand the band is filled, then you drink liquid barium and they check how it drops through the band under the X-ray.  Should I expect to have to go back several times?
zparticle
on 5/13/09 1:55 am
It sounds like overkill to me.  I had a fluoroscope done right after my surgery but never on a fill.  I suppose they have a reason for doing it.  I can tell if things are okay simply by sipping some water right after the fill.

As for going back several times, yes you will have many fills over the next few years.  They don't actually fill the band all the way up.  They put in a little bit each time making it more restrictive.

Good luck. :)
Ashley A.
on 5/13/09 8:02 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12

I personally think a flouroscopic fill isbetter than a "blind fill" Once the surgeon gets the port they will know how much they put in usually but I've noticed with my surgeon that she will put more in too make sure you have decent restriction because she actually see the liquid going through. I prefer flouroscopic but decided to not get them anymore unless needed because I got a nice big bill from the hospital for the x-ray charges. You will have to get a fill typcially every 6 weeks depending on how quickly you reach optimal restriction. Thanks! Good Luck!

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

destinydog
on 5/13/09 9:57 am - hopatcong, NJ
let me know how it goes as Dr. Abkin was my surgeon and will be having the same fill procedure shortly.
smilan
on 5/17/09 10:05 pm - GA
I had my first fill under flouro on Friday. It was flawless. I have restriction, and I'd choose to do it again that way in a heartbeat.

peachwood
on 5/18/09 6:27 am - Milltown, NJ
HI,   I just had my first fill by Dr. Abkin under flouroscopy.  It was easy.  The tech lets you lay down on a table. Abkin numbs the area and then he uses a long very skinny needle about 8" and it is flexible.   There was a little pressure but was not uncomfortable.  Then you are tilted up about 45 degrees. It was fun to watch the barium go down the esophagus and see the restriction actually happening.   The barium does not taste that bad either.  He holds the cup for you to drink through a straw.   It took 8cc to get the restriction but the restriction was what I really needed.  I was thinking I would feel the restriction in the stomach but I felt it across the middle of my back.  It was very sudden and then he pulled some saline out.   You could see it all on the screen.  Cool!   Just a warning - All the doctors were running late that day and I had to wait an hour passed my appt. 
I was going to have an office fill but decided to wait the 90 days because of insurance.  I feel for my first fill this was the way to go because I was assured that the band and port were in place and functioning.   If there were any leaks or slips they could easily be detected.  That was nice to know all is well.  The procedure took about 15 minutes.
The waiting room was like a support meeting.  There were about 8 people in line so we talked about the experience.  
I
tobi415
on 5/18/09 11:25 am
Thanks for all the great information.  Definately sounds like its worth the waiting period for the insurance to pay for the fluoroscopy.  Please let me know how you are feeling in the next few days. I am looking forward to the next step of my journey.
peachwood
on 5/19/09 12:54 am - Milltown, NJ
Another thing I wanted to mention was I felt that this was a more precise procedure.  Because the exact fill needed can de determined right there.  With an office fill it is a guess.  If I had an office fill he probably would have never put in 8cc which was what I needed.  It probably would have been half.   Then I would have to be doing it more frequently.  This is not an inconvenience for me to go to the radiology dept. but for some it may be.  As I read through these forums it seems most people never get restriction on the first fill and it takes 3-4 to get restriction.   I have it on the first fill.  I feel just fine but I can really feel it after a small amount of food.  Before the fill I could eat everything without any feelings of restriction.   Now I have noticed that pastas, and breads can be more of a problem.   I have not PB ever but with the restriction you are reminded to slow down, take smaller bites, and chew.  Everything in small amounts.  That is what I signed up for and so far I am not disappointed  since I have had the fill.  It has been two weeks since the fill and I still have the restriction.  Hope it lasts awhile.

Deborah T.
on 5/19/09 7:17 am - GA
I am going for my 4th fill June 1st at The Hospital in the Radiologist Dept.  I have aways went to the Hospital to have mine done, and I have never had any problems.  You can actually see you Band and your Port if you ask your Dr.  I watch the screen as the liquid is going down.

Deborah

GETTING HEALTHY ONE POUND AT A TIME

Deborah Turrell
Obesity Help Support Group Leader/Obesity Help Life Coach

Livewell
on 5/19/09 11:15 am - Chatham, NJ
I just had my second fill yesterday under fluoro and I agree that it provides much better accuracy.  I had my first fill with Dr. A at 3 months and felt very comfortable with that fill for another 2 months easily.  I now have a total of 6.5ccs and very good restriction with only two *****s.  Plus, I like the fact that we were able to tweak the fill on the fly by watching the screen.  Works for me!

Most Active