'

destinydog
on 5/7/09 9:06 pm - hopatcong, NJ
i wouldnt change it for the world.

down 25 pounds only 2.5 weeks post op.
Mary B.
on 5/7/09 10:36 pm - Southern, MD

MY Experience so far...

The UGLY: It doesnt come off easy in the beginning. I was totally aware of this...but actually living it is hard. Honestly I feel like a failure right now however I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You have to WORK, HARD to lose during this time. Be prepared for this. Ive seen alot of posts where people are losing so much and they say just because they are so dedicated and hard working. Im dedicated and hard working and its not coming off. You will be tempted to compare yourself to others...DONT.

The GOOD: Im going for my second fill next week. I know that if I keep up what Im doing now, when I have restriction it WILL come off. I will be free.

Why I chose the band over any other surgery:

1. I didnt want to re-arrange my insides and have any pieces cut off. I like everything right where it is.
2. I have lost weight before, became content and gained it back. I feel that if I had another surgery the same thing would happen. The band is adjustable FOR LIFE. Unless I make a conscious decision to eat the wrong foods on purpose. I will not gain my weight back.
3. The long term results are exactly the same, just the band takes longer in the beginning.
4. I didnt want to be at risk with malabsorption and have to take a larger amount of supplements every day.
5. If something bad were to happen...(God Forbid) it could be more easily removed and all my parts would still be intact.

**These are just my thoughts and do not reflect all other bandsters opinions. Please remember that we are all different therefore we will have different experiences. Your results may vary.

Please also remember, OH is here for support. I have to think that the majority of folks not posting here are not having problems.

Good luck to you!

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

topaz11
on 5/8/09 1:58 am
Mary B you have some valid points!  Thank you:) Good luck with yr next fill.
kathkeb
on 5/8/09 4:50 am

Mary -

Your '5 reasons'  are EXACTLY why I am having Band surgery.
My surgeon wanted to discuss all 3 options and I told him, "I am having a band, or I am not having surgery".
I have no desire to have my anatomy restructured.

I know that you are working hard and a little frustrated.
Hang in there, and know, know, know that it will pay off.

Remember, that even if you are maintaining, if you were like I used to be, you were gaining 2 or 3 or 4 pounds a month --- so, maintaining is fabulous!

Kath

joychaser
on 5/8/09 1:19 am - MI
THE BEST CHOICE I HAVE EVER MADE! I would never change it-EVER!
From 251 to 141 and LOVING every minute of it! From a size 18 to a size 6-8!
I can finally SPREAD my wings again!
topaz11
on 5/8/09 1:53 am
Thanks to all of you for your comments.  I guess I just want to know as much as I can before the big day arrives:)
crystalglass_33
on 5/8/09 5:44 am - Waterloo, IL
I was one of those people who came on here and completely made it sound like I wanted a different surgery. The Realize band can be a very good thing, but it is not as quick as the lap band and definitely not RNY. I lost 25 pounds my first 2 weeks too and then nothing... for months... I worked my butt off and by 5 or 6 months I still had only lost 30 I think. I recently have started to have restriction and I can eat much less than before. Now I'm losing a little more steadily. It's hard work. Don't let anyone tell you it's easy. It's not. And you really have to work for every pound. Especially me, since I didn't eat that poorly before and I already worked out. My body was okay w/ fat I guess. Now I think we're on the same page :)
topaz11
on 5/8/09 8:20 am
Thanks, I understand your frustration I would be too! . Are you glad you went into this direction of surgery?  My question was placed  to help me sort out the pro's and con's of this decision.  Reading others experiences help with that.   Keep up the hard work I am sure I will be learning from you and others:)
Most Active