Why did I have the band done? Very frustrated.

stampergirl
on 5/5/09 1:16 pm - Newark, DE
I had the band done 1/27/09. Since I had surgery I have only lost 12 pounds and that was in the first 2 weeks. I have lost 5 inches in my waist but no more pounds. Yes my clothes feel looser but what about the pounds. I have been bouncing up and down 5lbs for 2 months. Today is one of those days where I almost regret having the band done. I could have lost and gained the same 5lbs by myself. Hell, I've been doing that for years.

Yes, I am following the band rules. Per nutritionist, I am having between1200 and 1400 calories and at least 80 grams of protein a day. I am working out 6 days a week. Three of those days I do a deep water workout class. Two days a week I use the treadmill for 30 to 60 min and then strength train for 30min. One day a week I take a Body Flow class, which is a combo of pilates, tai chi and yoga.

Yes, I know that muscle wears more than fat. Yes, I am aware I am loosing inches. But what the hell is up with the pounds.

When did your scale finally move? How many more months am I going to go without seeing tthe scale move?

I really need encouragement.

Nicole
zparticle
on 5/5/09 1:39 pm, edited 5/15/09 5:30 am
Nicole,

it seems like you have answered your own question. You are probably putting on a bunch of muscle and replacing fat.  That is a very good thing.  You are loosing inches and clearly have the will power with as much exercise as you are doing. 

I'd bet at some point you are going to suddenly start dropping pounds like crazy.  Your body just needs to find the right equilibrium.  Hang in there, it sounds like you are doing all of the right things.  I personally think 6 days a week might even be too much for work outs.  You don't have to torture yourself now, you've probably done that for a long time already.

Give it a little longer, and do your best to keep a positive mental state.  I know it's hard but don't give up.

-Scott
jkhawk8
on 5/5/09 3:13 pm - Alexandria, KY
Depending on how hard your workouts are and how many calories you burn doing them, you may need to up your calorie intake.  1200 is a minimum amount we need and if your workouts burn another 200 to 400 or even more calories, you're clearly not getting the minimum 1200.  So your body may be holding on to the weight thinking it might need it for energy (some refer to this as "starvation" mode).

As the previous poster suggested, you might want to back off the number of workouts you're doing.  See if that makes a difference.

Jan

stampergirl
on 5/5/09 9:25 pm - Newark, DE
Thank you all for your support and the great suggestions. Here is what I am going to try: I usually eat just about the same things every day. So, I am going to try mixing that up and eating some different things. Still make good choices but different foods. I am going to try mixing up the exercise routine a little. I usually do the treadmill but I am going to add the bike in and maybe some laps in the pool. The eliptical and I have issues with each other. I just can't sem to get the hang of that. I am goinh to increase the water to 80oz a day and try to stick closer to the 1400 calorie zone rather than the 1200. I am also going to back off on the work outs and do 4 to 5 days a week.

What is the plateau buster diet?

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks again,
Nicole

Mary B.
on 5/5/09 11:29 pm - Southern, MD
Nicole,
The Plateau Buster is what Elena has been doing over on the Lab Band forum...I copied this from one of her posts:

Plateau Buster Diet - How to break a plateau

#1 - Do this for 10 days to break a plateau

#2 - Drink 2 quarts (8 cups) of water a day

#3 - You must have 45 grams of protein supplement and all your vitamins/minerals supplements each day

#4 - You may consume up to 3 oz of the following high protein foods, 5-6 times a day:

beef
pork
chicken
turkey
lamb
fish
eggs
low fat cheese/cottage cheese
plain yogurt or artificially sweetened 
peanut butter
beans/legumes

You may also have:
sugar free popsicles
tea or coffee
sugar free soda
sugar free jello
broths/bullion
crystal light drinks

#5 - If it's not on the list, you can't have it for 10 days!!

#6 - Keep a food diary and try to get up to 30 mins of exercise daily

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/LapBand/3926773/plateau-bu ster-diet/

It seems to be working for her...maybe I'll give it a try too.
Let me know if you decide to do it.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

joychaser
on 5/8/09 1:23 am - MI
This is basically a low carb high protein diet and it works. I am currently doing a revised form of Atkins to get these 10 stubborn winter pounds off. I have lost 4 in one week, keep it up! Here I come bikini!
From 251 to 141 and LOVING every minute of it! From a size 18 to a size 6-8!
I can finally SPREAD my wings again!
Michelle B.
on 5/5/09 11:52 pm - MN
Nicole, All I can say is hang in there!!!  You may not be in the "green" zone yet - it took me 5 months to get there.  Like you, I lost several pounds right after surgery (about 20) and then NOTHING.....NOTHING FOR 4 MONTHS.  And I was very frustrated too.  

When you hit the green zone with your band, you will notice a difference.  I'm 7 months out and have lost a total now of 44 lbs.  It took me 5 fills before I even noticed I had a band at all - but the great thing about the band is that it can be adjusted again and again as needed. 

The weight loss is slower than with other surgery types, but it's a lifelong loss - not 18 months and done like with bypass.  As a side note everyone that I know that has done the bypass had added some if not most of the weight back on after 3 or more years.  My friends with the band have kept it off.  Plus the band is soooooo much healthier (no malabsortion issues, no supplements etc.).  Remember why you chose the band to begin with and be patient.  You'll be dropping those unwanted lbs. in no time!!!
Michelle

Butterfly618
on 5/7/09 8:51 am, edited 5/7/09 8:53 am - NJ
I thought you would find this interesting. I think you are eating too many calories
I think that you should try to include your protein drink with the lower calories. Get in your protein keep calories low

The Starvation Myth

Article By: The Weigh****chers Research Department

JULY, 2007 -- The idea that "not eating enough" causes the body to stop losing weight because it goes into "starvation mode" is a popular myth among dieters.

Restricting calories during weight loss lowers metabolism1 because the body becomes more efficient, requiring fewer calories to perform the necessary daily functions for survival. Consequently, this can slow (but not stop) the anticipated rate of weight loss.

For example, if an individual needs 2,000 calories per day to maintain weight, reducing intake to 1,500 calories, assuming exercise stays the same, should provide a 1 pound per week weight loss (Note: 1 pound of weight is equivalent to about 3,500 calories). Furthermore, reducing to 1,000 calories should result in a weight loss of 2 pounds per week and going down to 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 3 pounds per week. However, if an individual actually reduces their intake to 500 calories, the weight loss would not likely be a steady 3 pounds per week because of the reduced metabolic rate. It would likely be around 2¼ to 2½ pounds. This "lower than expected" rate of weight loss is a lot different than "no" weight loss as the "starvation mode" notion proposes.

It is unclear as to whether the relationship between reduced caloric intake and a lower metabolism follows a straight path or becomes more pronounced the greater the caloric reduction. Some studies have found no significant reduction in metabolism until the caloric restriction is quite large (e.g. 800 calories or less per day).2 Others suggest a linear relationship with small reductions in metabolism accompanying small reductions in caloric restriction, with the gap increasing as the caloric deficit is enlarged.

While there is no biologic evidence to support the "starvation mode" myth, there may be behavioral reasons why weight loss stops when calories are severely reduced. Over-restriction of calorie intake, known as high dietary restraint is linked to periods of overeating, hindering successful weight loss.3 (For more information on dietary restraint, read the Science Center article, The Skill of Flexible Restraint).

Metabolism after Weight Loss

The good news is that after the weight-loss goal is achieved and weight has stabilized, it does not appear that the dip in metabolism is permanent. Several rigorous studies done at the University of Alabama in Birmingham showed that metabolism goes back to expected levels with sustained weight loss,4 discounting the theory that a lowered metabolism helps to explain the common phenomenon of weight regain following weight loss.

Weigh****chers Approach

The POINTS® Weight-Loss System is designed to provide a caloric intake that supports a healthy rate of weight loss, produces a minimal reduction in metabolism and avoids inducing too-high levels of dietary restraint.

view footnotes

"SUCCESS IS A LIFESTYLE, NOT A DIET"
Please visit my OH  Support group:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/allinthemind/welcome/

Where you will find helpful strategies to achieve you goals

Highest 325.7lbs Surgery 295lbs Current 244lbs 

lcarson
on 5/14/09 12:24 am - TN
Nicole,
I completely understand where you are coming from. There are days when I think I really made a big mistake in my choice of "The Band". I was banded 12/10/09. I have lost 30lbs to date. I gain and lose the same lbs over and over too. Then finally along will come 1 -2 lbs that seem to stay away. I started out at 232 so Im sitting here at 202 pretty steady. Im working out, drinking, watching my calories. However, at my support meeting (mostly GBsters) they mentioned upping my protein. Although most GB people are totally against Banders my group has been the nicest most sympathetic group I have ever run into. Im trying their advice this week and I am hoping to see some results this week. Keep me posted on your progress. I have been feeling like such a failure. To encourage myself I have been repeating "I would not have lost 30 lbs without the band". I also go in the grocery store and put 3 - 10lbs of potatoes in the cart and look at what I have lost. That seems to help. Its just discouraging when you hear of others that have lost 60 - 80 lbs in the same time frame. ... Maybe we can encourage each other.   Good Luck!  Lin
tbum007
on 5/14/09 10:47 am - WI
Nicole,
I had the lap band put in the same day you did and I have had 2 fills with no restriction yet.  I've lost a total of 17 lbs give or take plus 2 or minus 2.  I also am frustrated.  I was working out with walking and jogging in place but gave it up.  Fortunately when I was doing that I lost inches so that's encouraged me.  I feel really tired now and just can't seem to get the ambition to work out so a big congrats to you for sticking to it.  Everything I have read says to mix up your routine to keep your body guessing.
Hang in there and maybe think about getting a fill if you haven't had one recently.
Most Active