Gas pain after drinking

tlcapo
on 5/2/09 9:34 am - landenberg, PA
I am post-op 5 days and everything was fine the first 3 days- but now anytime I drink water, my protein drinks etc I get terrible gas pains. I have been walking and drinking slowly-- no straw. Any suggestions?
ads2e
on 5/2/09 10:28 am - Washington, DC
I actually did not start to have gas pains until around day 3, so it may not have much to do with your drinking.  I remember the first few days thinking "People talk about how bad the gas pains are, but this is nothing."  Then they hit me!  In addition to the walking, I used Gas-X.  They have Gas-X strips that you put on your tongue to dissolve (like Listerine Pocket tabs), so I didn't have to worry about trying to swallow pills or chewable tablets. 
travelgrl
on 5/2/09 12:40 pm - allentown, PA
I didn't have the gas pains from the surgery.  I do get severe gas pains and abdominal cramping from sugar free rita's (italian ice).  It might be whatever you are consuming that is causing it. 
tlcapo
on 5/3/09 2:52 am - landenberg, PA
Thanks for the suggestions and support.
lisawtl
on 5/13/09 2:27 pm
What you have is normal.  I have them too (am 7 days post op).  I make sure to eat slowly, and make sure to not overeat.  Also, take a Prilosec and 4 of those Gas-X dissolving strips.  When my gas got really bad, I just took some of the narcotic pain meds my doc prescribed.  I don't like taking heavy drugs like that, but those gas pains are like labor pains!!!  Mine have gotten better, I must say, but they're still terrible in the evenings sometimes.  Hang in there.
tlcapo
on 5/13/09 4:35 pm - landenberg, PA
Thanks. I m trying to eat and drink slowly. The gas is still uncomfortable and I am having no luck with gas-x. I am going to give my DR a call.  Thanks for the suggestions
Most Active