12 days post-op and need support (kind of long)

ads2e
on 4/21/09 11:11 am - Washington, DC
Hi Everyone: 
I was banded on April 9.  The surgery went well, I had very little pain in the days after surgery and have been recovering nicely.  My problem is that I feel like I am starting to fall into bad habits and that I am doing things to harm myself. 

My surgeon's recommendation was to stay on liquids for two weeks post-op then move to pureed foods; thus, I was supposed to start soft/pureed foods tomorrow (Wednesday).  On this past Sunday, I was so hungry that I ordered out and got french fries and roasted chicken.  I ate some of the fries, but mostly ate the chicken (no skin).  (I made sure it was all very well chewed/pureed.)  I ate too much and felt overly full.  (Though, to be honest, I did much better than I would have done a few months ago when I know I would have kept eating despite being full.)  I had some major discomfort after overeating, but was fine by the next day and I vowed that I would go back to all liquids until Thursday to give myself time to re-heal.  Then today (Tuesday), I came home from work had some french fries, some crackers, and some chicken.  Again, eating too much.  (FYI:  Neither time did I get sick or throw-up or feel pain in my stomach.)  

I am afraid that I am harming my body by eating so much, even though I am making sure that it is all very finely pureed or chewed.  I am so hungry all of the time, but I know my stomach needs to heal from surgery.  I am discouraged that I have broken my liquid diet less than two weeks after surgery.  I thought I would do better than that.  I know I am capable of doing better than that.  

Food has really been my comforter in the last few years, so I knew without a doubt that I was going to have to work on my food issues to be successful with gastric banding.   Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to be banded; I don't for one minute regret chosing to get the band over gastric bypass or some other surgery.   I chose to be banded, because I knew that I wanted to work through my food issues and I would not be successful without working on my food problems (and this was something I talked to my therapist about before being banded).   

I guess what I need is some encouragement...maybe some stories of people who have fallen off the wagon early on but were able to get back on track...any thoughts about whether I may have harmed my stomach or my band by eating too much...maybe just some words of wisdom from people who are longer term post-op??  

Thanks everyone!
smilan
on 4/21/09 11:30 am - GA
Hello,

Im sorry that you're having a hard time. Im still newly banded myself. However, I was told that the point of the post op liquids is to give your stomach/pouch time to heal. It is working to hard to digest things such as chicken (even pureed) at such a delicate stage. You really should stick to your doctors orders so that the band can be at optimal performance level for you.

Officegirlblues
on 4/21/09 12:54 pm - Jackson, AL

Hey. I'm 14 months out of my Realize Band surgery and I am sorry you are having such a hard time adjusting. Every person heals differently; but, you seem to be aware of the danger you are putting yourself in. You need to step back, call your dr. and be very honest with him/her about what is going on. First off, you may not have had the swelling that others do right after surgery. The swelling is what causes your restriction early on. That may just be something that doesn't happen with you. The guidelines for after surgery care are just that. Guidelines. I believe that some people can certainly tolerate foods before others can. Some people need to stay on liquids longer than other people can. I am a firm believer in listening to your stomach.... but right now, I think you are listening to your brain, not your stomach. Do you think maybe you are overwhelmed by the lifestyle change? Let me just tell you that you are going thru the hardest part of this whole process right now. The pre and post op diets are murder. They will certainly put you to test so don't feel like you are failing because you are having these urges to eat. The fact that you're "cheating" by getting off of liquids doesn't concern me as much as the fact that you are obviously giving in to past behaviors. I don't doubt that you're hungry. You are operating on very little food in comparison to pre-surgery. If you feel like you need to eat, then eat but make better choices. This whole procedure is about choices. That's not to say that you will never again in your life be able to enjoy a french fry. To think that you will have to deprive yourself for the rest of your life is overwhelming and incorrect. Right now, you need to give yourself time to heal AND adjust. Don't be too hard on yourself for slipping occasionally. You will. We all do. However, don't allow past destructive behaviors to come into this new life you're making for yourself.

To help the hunger, eat small meals more closely together. Also make sure that you are getting protein. Protein will make you very full. I know you probably crave the act of chewing, but start off trying different variations of a thick protein shake. You can do alot of things with protein powder and fresh fruit. Or unflavored protein powder. One of the things I did when I moved from liquids to mushies was to take chili and blend it up really good and add unflavored protein to it. I also did the same with tuna salad. That way you are satisfying the craving for flavor and getting the protein you need.  Stick to the quantities you are supposed to eat and make sure that you are taking your time eating and absolutely no drinking while you eat. I bet, if you stop you will find that your body is sending you signs of being full. Your brain might not agree but sometimes, especially at first, you have to let your brain take a back seat to your band.

Please remember that your sutures inside your body are very new and still in a delicate stage of healing. Discomfort or feeling overly full means that you are stretching out your pouch and that will put unnecessary stress on your sutures. You most likely haven't done any damage so far, but don't let the pain of causing a major problem be your wake up call. Take control back and don't let those old habits cost you the chance you have at a new life.

Good Luck!

Tom C.
on 4/22/09 12:37 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

I echo Officegirlblue’s sentiments.

First thing you need to remember – they put this tool (the band) around our stomachs. They did not put a tool around our brain. Cravings will occurs, but you can’t give into them. That’s what got us here in the first place. A person a while ago on the board a said, “these operations are 50% tool - 50% self-discipline". I believe that. We must come and decide what is actually hunger and what is “head" hunger. This is hard to do in the beginning – but I’ve come to realize that if I need to stop and ask myself “Am I really hungry, or is this head hunger" then 90% of the time it’s head hunger – and I need to avoid giving into temptations.

Additionally, maybe you need more “protein" then others. Last year when I first had the operation I noticed if I ate 4 ounces of protein I didn’t feel full - however if I ate 6 ounces I did. I spoke to my Doctor about it. FOR ME he said that those “numbers" are somewhat guidelines. He went on to explain there are some folks who feel full on 2 ounces of protein while some need 6 or 8. So you many need more protein.  Protein will be the key to remaining full.

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE INCREASING YOUR INTAKE.

Also make sure you are doing your basics. No liquids 30 minutes before and/or after a meal. Protein first, followed by fiber (vegetables) and (if room left over) GOOD carbohydrates. Make each meal last 20 to 30 minutes – I still use a stop watch and wait 1 minute between putting food in my mouth. Chew 30 times (the more you chew, the more your mouth moves, the less hungry you will be).

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Farmgirl58
on 4/22/09 6:13 am - AL
Hi, don't know if what I have to say will help, but are you sipping on your water all day long?  I was told by the nut. that will help one feel full.  also to eat the protien first, lay off the carbs. 
I have not had my band installed yet, my date is the 18th of may, but I have all sorts of thoughts running through my head, will I be succesful, will I be able to follow this program?  A lot of concerns.  We have eaten the wrong way for so many years, it is hard to break the habit, but with patience, fortitude and persistance we can plow through these hard times.  Believe in yourself, and don't give up.. They say Head hunger is the worst of all the food evils.  Have you considered seeing a pschy therapist to help you through these rough times?  I am thinking of doing that if I have problems. 
Anyway, hang in there, you can do it.  Farmgirl58
ads2e
on 4/22/09 10:27 am - Washington, DC
Thanks very much for all of the support, encouragement, and advice!!  I live alone and I am single, so I really needed a little outiside support, and I appreciate you all being there for me.   

I am back on the horse now, and trying not to beat myself up too much about falling off.  After all, I have been on all liquids since the end of March, so I have done relatively well to have only slipped up twice post-op.  I also know that I have done well compared to what I would have done months ago.  Before I started working on my emotional eating, I would eat and eat until I felt overstuffed and sick.  At least I ate a measured amount of food - even though it was DEFINITELY the wrong food.  So, I guess this is a baby steps process, and sometimes babies fall down...  

Also, fyi, I decided that even though I am officially supposed to start pureed food today, I am going to go back on all liquids for another 4 days to give my stomach time to heal from any irritation that I may have caused from moving on too fast. 

Oh, and I took your advice of talking to my surgeon, because I think *part* of the reason I ate was because I have been so very fatigued and very hungry despite the fact that I've been regularly getting 90+ gms of protein a day, getting 60+ oz of water, and taking my multi and vitamin D.  My surgeon said that I am working too hard, and that I need to take it a little easier.  He said that the reason I am so tired and hungry is because my body is used to eating 2-3x more to do all the things that I normally do and that I need to remember that I just had surgery ONLY 2 weeks ago.  Sometimes I forget that its only been 2 weeks and I keep overestimating how energetic and "back to normal" I am supposed to be  at this time.  As my therapist once said to me:   "One day you're going to have to admit that you're only human." 

Anyways, thanks for all your help and support!! 
Farmgirl58
on 4/22/09 11:23 am - AL
Hi it is me again...thank you for writing back.  I too live alone, and will be sticking this procedure an change in life style mostly alone..thank goodness for this site.  There are no support groups close by, there is one in Tuscaloosa which is an hour and half away from here, but that is a long drive to take after working all day.  There used to be a support group in Meridian, Ms where I work, but they didn't do to well and disbannded, so I am out on my own.  The doctor I am using said there are several patients from the Meridian area that have had the band, but so far have not been able to contact any of them.  So, I am going to rely on the folks on this site for moral support and to help me through the rough times which I am sure will have.  AFter all we are human, and will make mistakes, can't be perfect, but sure can try to be.
Hang in there and take one day at a time....as the saying goes, Rome was not built in a day, but was distroyed in one! 
Keep in touch, let me know how you are doing.  Farmgirl58
Most Active