I got a date!!!

dolphin13glass
on 4/18/09 2:03 am - Thurmont, MD
Hi everyone, I've been on here a few times, most recently struggeling with the decision of the band or the sleeve. I've decided on the band!! I got my surgery date of June 2. I was hoping to get it in May, but I'll take it! I would like to hear as many personal stories as I can. I think real experiences is what helps educate and prepare for this life changing event. I don't live close to any support groups, the closest is an hour away, so I rely on this site to help in that area.

What is the worst part of the surgery/ few days after? Do you have any words of advice on what to try and what to stay away from?

I look forward to hearing from all of you!!!

Thanks for stopping by:)

Nikki
Michael Eak
on 4/18/09 10:43 am - Largo, FL
In my opinion you made the right choice with the Banding. The sleeve is still new and like with the Bypass you could still stretch out the sleeve. Many in Florida are putting the Band on top of their Bypass Pouch as I am. Because after losing so much I plateau'd out and regain weight.. Will your Surgeon have you on some sort of Liquid Program before your surgery date? Mine puts us on the two week program of Optifast. I do 5 a day that's 800 calories. In the 12 days so far I've lost 33 pounds with two days to go.

The worst part of the Surgery is Waiting. But you've already gotten past Insurance approval and gotten your so called Boarding Tickets for the WLS Train to Loserville. So just stick to the program to lose more. Cut out all or as much as posible and train yourself to eat Proteins first. Stop drinking an hour before eating and don't drink till an hour after you've eaten.

A good book to have is "Weight Loss Surgey for Dummies". Some call it the Bible of WLS.

Our program is two weeks of just liquids such as brothes after surgery with another two weeks of creamy soups and very soft foods. Followed by Soft to regular foods. But not much at all.
Have you've started a Food Journal of what, how much and the calories, carbs & Sodium your eating. This is very helpful afterwards to realize what your eating wrongly when you gain weight.

Lastly, since there are no Support Groups near you. Are there other WLS people of all the different kinds of WLS? Would you be interested in learning and starting your own OH Support Group? Look above under Groups and register as a group leader looking to receive the Free Teaching Program other wise email [email protected] There are free perks to such as getting into all OH Events for Free plus roughly 15 OH Magazines Bi-Monthly to give to others for Free. Think about it, the training alone is a Great Motivator to keep you on track.

Best of Prayer for your Success, Mike

Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
dolphin13glass
on 4/18/09 11:16 pm - Thurmont, MD
Wow, good job on sticking to your two week post op regimine! 33 lbs down injust that short amount of time is awesome!!!

I'm pretty psycked I choose the band. I can't do bypass because I'm celica sprue and it's a malabsorption surgery, so I wasn't a candidate for that one. My docs say I'm on the lower end of the folks they see for weight loss surgery, so they think I will do great with the band. I sure hope so.

My surgeon actually doesn't have me doing a strict diet before the surgery. Because I'm on the lower end, he doesn't feel I need to "shrink" anything before hand. I don't have a fatty liver, that is the first to shrink in weight loss, so that's not something I have to worry about either.

Keep me updated on your progress Mike. I would like to see how this all works out for you!!!
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/09 10:57 am
GOOD FOR YOU, THIS IS THE BEST DECISION OF YOUR LIFE, I GO FOR MY FIRST FILL ON WEDS, AND IM FIVE WEEKS POST OP AND LOST ALMOST 25LBS, NOTHING THIS WEEK, CHECK OUT THE RECIPES AND GET SOME FOOD IN THE HOUSE THAT YOU WILL NEED FOR THE FIRST WEEK, LIKE CLEAR SOUP, CRYSTAL LIGHT, FF SF ICE POPS, FF SF JELLO, IT WILL HELP IF YOU HAVE EVERYTHING HANDY. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED. CAROLYN
dolphin13glass
on 4/18/09 11:12 pm - Thurmont, MD
Thanks Carolyn, What is the FF stand for before the sugar free? It's probably something so darn simple I'm missing it, LOL!
(deactivated member)
on 4/19/09 7:24 am
fat free lol, it took me some time to get the short cuts too lol
dolphin13glass
on 4/19/09 9:44 am - Thurmont, MD
See, I told you it was so simple I would feel stupid in asking....thanks!
sarah_joy_1
on 4/26/09 2:32 am

Your doc may not have you on a restricted diet, but after surgery I'm sure you will be on liquids for at least a week.  For me, it would have been easier to go to the full liquid diet if I had substituted a shake or two during the day prior to going on the full liquids. 

After surgery - listen to your body!!!  It will tell you when you have eaten something that does not agree with you and chew chew chew chew!!!!  That is what I really have to concentrate on when I eat is making sure I chew my food enough. 

Things I don't eat : Bread, Lettuce, sticky protein bars, fried anything

Things I love: baked fish, making smoothies with orange juice bananas and whey protein, yogurt and cottage cheese (mixed),

Good luck!!!  It's a total life change. I like you was on the lower end of the spectrum, but still had to do all the liquids.  I have had 1 fill and I am down nearly 30 pounds since surgery March 10th.  I would love to say I had lost tons, but the difference I see is in my appearance and people tell me all the time how great I am looking - that feels AWESOME!!!!

lindas0809
on 4/26/09 7:54 am
Nikki hey - congrats on the date. I am in the program at JHU also started with Dr. Steele, but I'm switching to Dr. Lidor because Dr. Steele's going out on maternity leave this month. I won't know a date until I see Dr. Lidor on 5/11- but I'm praying for early June like you. Let me know how things are going- hoping to be a June bandster like you!!
dolphin13glass
on 4/27/09 2:38 am - Thurmont, MD
Hi Linda,
I too was orginally with Dr. Steele. But now I'm with Dr. Schwietzer. I was hoping I was going to be done in May, but when they called to schedule, it was early June. A little advice, I had to keep calling to get scheduled. They told me the nurse would call me in a few days, and when I hadn't heard from her in a week, I called and was scheduled then. Keep me updated and let me know how your appt goes on the 11th!!!

Nikki
Most Active