complications with realize band +class action suit

marjory54
on 4/17/09 4:25 am - knoxville, TN
I wanted to know how many of you have had to have your realize band removed to
complications. Mine was eroded around my stomach. I could have died if it hadn't been
removed. There was even puss around the band. Does anyone know of class action
suit againt the realize band. Go to FDA and look at all the cases. Be smart and be
causious if the doctor wants to use this band in you.
bscharwath
on 4/17/09 9:58 pm
I have a realize band C.  Was banded March 16.

I went to the FDA site and the only problem I could find was a patient that had a hole in the balloon and they replaced it.  Patient was fine.

Beth

marjory54
on 4/19/09 9:58 am - knoxville, TN
Did you look it up under Obtech or Ethicon ? When I first put in Realize band under the FDA
site not much came up,either. My device name was: Realize adjustiable gastric band
Model 2200-X. 

Thanks for checking this out..
Officegirlblues
on 4/20/09 12:35 pm, edited 4/22/09 12:49 pm - Jackson, AL
Have you looked at whether your dr. might have been at fault instead of your band? What particular reason were you given as to why it was the band's fault? Just curious. Good luck with whatever they do for you. I hope you regain your health. I personally love my Realize Band and I am a firm believer in not looking at issues that don't exist for everyone. Band erosion is a rare occurance and I really don't see the need to increase web searches on a topic that will freak people out unneccessairly.

Again, good luck and I hope everything works out well for you.
frankh
on 5/25/09 6:11 am
hi there,   I gotta tell you ,i doubt you have a case there. I dont know if your docter told you this is a complication of the band. My docter told me that this could possibly happen and it happens in about 5% of his patients. so evidently its a pretty big problem with the band. I dont know ,maybe the erossion is a part of your body rejecting this foreign object. Ive also worried a little bit my self ,i hope it doesnt happen to me. Im sorry that the band didnt work for you. What are you going to do now, maybe have bypass surgury. Your insurance may pay for that seeing the band did this.Anyway good luck on yhour endever.
rayneenie
on 6/3/09 5:56 pm - Neoga, IL
I have to agree I doubt you have grounds for a law suit, as I have now seen 4 surgeons (for complicated reasons) and all of them let me know that this could be an issue. The surgeon I am with now let me know that if my band eroded that was then considered a failure and it was the only way the band could fail otherwise you had failed to do your part, because slipping could be fixed.  I would speak to my insurance if I were you and see what your options are.

Good Luck!
Most Active