Was anyone else here ever interested in the sleeve or another wls then decided to go for the...

hopegirl66
on 4/15/09 5:34 am - Downingtown, PA

Hi,

My name is Monica and I have been planning on having VSG for almost 5 months now. I've done all my testing and then my doctor had an informal meeting with my insurance BCBS Personal Choice PA and the result is I can have either RNY or the band type surgery. I have Fibromyalgia so I was a little worried about the band but according to my Doctor my insurance co said that the band would be okay for Fibromyalgia people. So I'm now in the learning stage of banding.

My one major question is, do most people after they have the band experience problems with swollowing? What about if you already have reflux problems? Does the surgery make it worse???

kellybmomof3
on 4/15/09 8:42 am
Hello, Monica!  I'm Kelly and was banded recently (3/25), so I can just tell you based on me.  I had severe Acid Reflux before banding.  Gone now.  No meds needed anymore.  However, I'm just now on mushies...don't get to start solid foods until next week.  BUT, I've eaten spicey foods (refried beans, chili, etc.) and it hasn't bothered my reflux.  My surgeon told me I wouldn't need the meds anymore. 
I never considered any other surgery.  I am not in any hurry to lose.  I have no medical issues that would make losing weight life or death for me.  I wanted to be able to lose at a sensible rate.  My thinking, also, was that a slower rate of weight loss would also mean a less likely chance of hair loss and really loose skin.  I also wasn't keen on the malabsorption that the other wls have.  I'm only 3 weeks out, but so far so good. 
All I can do for you is really tell you to research your fanny off.  Do what is right for YOU and your lifestyle.  What ever you choose, I'm here to support you!  Best of luck!!
Kelly B
297/247/165

Summer Slimmers Challenge!

Most barriers to your success are man-made.  And, most often, you're the man who made them.  ~ Frank Tyger
katcruiser
on 4/15/09 11:54 pm - Sherwood, AR
Hi Monica,

I had horrible acid reflux pre -banding, completely gone now.  I am 6 months out and I have never had any type of heartburn since surgery.

I choose the band for several reasons. 

Slower weightloss, I felt this was healthier
No malabsorbtion issues
Less invasive surgery
Adjustable forever
Reversible if needed

The main reason, I was a volume eater.  Good tasting food, okay tasting food, whatever, I wanted a ton of it to eat.  The band has helped with that from day one.

Good luck with your decision.

Kat

2_be_me_again
on 4/16/09 11:24 pm
Hi Monica,

I'm still pre -op but wanted to say - I'm in the same boat as you.  Anthem Blue Cross won't cover VSG due to being investigational.  So now.... I'm looking at the band as well. RNY scares me horriably.

Best with your journey!!
AT GOAL in 336 days...!
SW / CW / GW
299 /174.5/ 175
6' tall - size 10

Most Active