questions about Realize Band...

julie16
on 4/14/09 1:19 am - crofton, MD
Hello to all. I am considering Realize band and am curious to find out what kind of sucess people have had... I dont want bypass as its to invasive... I am looking for doctor in Maryland and would love any info you can give me...

Julie
Loser's visualize the penalties of failure. Winners visualize the rewards of success.

Mom I hope you rest in Peace knowing that you were loved and will be missed. Keep love alive in your       heart as I know I will. You are now an           and I know you will be looking down on us from above......... I am OK.......
Mary B.
on 4/14/09 2:36 am - Southern, MD
Hi Julie,
Im in Southern MD. I had the band done on Feb 24. It is a long process and I am currently working hard on my own while waiting for restriction. Bandster hell is real....but I know it will all come together. IMO, This is not a quick fix, but 5 years from now when the bypassers start gaining (I know I would be one of them) I can have an adjustment and I can have fills for the rest of my life.

I chose Dr Halmi (Bluepoint Surg. Group) in Woodbridge, VA. For me, it was just as far to hit baltimore as Woodbridge and Im a little closer to VA from work. I had my surgery at Potomac Hospital. I chose them because the hospital has an entire bariatric floor/wing. I also love the NUT Brittany. She is great.

It was hard for me to decide between the Realize or Lap band. I let the Dr decide. I was given the new Realize C band. (11cc).

Good luck to you!
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

julie16
on 4/14/09 6:24 am - crofton, MD
Hello Mary and thanks for the info. I am scared about the bypass and gaining too. I want a doc up this way in the Balt. area. Would you do  this again? I am sorry you are struggling and I hope it will get better for you soon....What is bandster hell? Thanks.

Julie
Loser's visualize the penalties of failure. Winners visualize the rewards of success.

Mom I hope you rest in Peace knowing that you were loved and will be missed. Keep love alive in your       heart as I know I will. You are now an           and I know you will be looking down on us from above......... I am OK.......
Officegirlblues
on 4/14/09 1:16 pm - Jackson, AL
Hey Mary and Julie! I have had my Realize Band for a little over a year now and I can honestly say that it is the best thing I have ever done in my life. I struggled with my weight for years and years before I was finally able to sit down and say, Ok... this problem has outgrown my ability to take care of it and I need help. But, once I did and got the process started my life took a turn in a whole new direction. I am about 58 lbs down from my highest/pre-surgery weight of 252 lbs. and I feel so awesome. And Mary, you are completely right. This is NOT a quick fix... but it is a LONG TERM solution. The fact that I didn't loose all my weight in 4 months has really been a blessing because I wouldn't know how or why it happened and I certainly wouldn't be able to maintain my weight loss once I reached my goal. And I have to honestly say that there are so many great things that happen to me on a daily basis in regards to my success with this band that I don't even stop and think about what I haven't accomplished yet.

I think what she's referring to as bandster hell probably has alot to do with the mental games that your head tries to play on you after surgery. This is very much a mental game and in order for you to win, you pretty much have to learn to stop thinking with your brain for the first few months and let your band have complete control. I know that probably sounds a little bit strange but your brain is going to tell you that you are not getting enough food simply because it is craving the whole process of acting out those bad habits that led you to morbid obesity in the first place. Your band knows when you do and don't need food and it will give you signals. It takes dedication to be successful. The Realize band is not magic. You are not going to loose weight simply by having it placed around your stomach. You have to learn to use it. And, after surgery, you also have to learn patience with the process. It's really easy to fall into that "lose it all right now" mode. We are very much an instant gratification society, unfortunately, and that plays into what we expect once we have surgery... not to mention that we see people that have surgery like the bypass and how quickly they are losing the weight. I have to remind myself all the time that, for me, this procedure was a healthier option and gives me a tool to use for the rest of my life. I've been the girl that lost tons of weight only to gain it plus about 40 lbs. back. I don't want to be that girl again and with this band, I don't have to be and I love that much more than I would love waking up tomorrow a size 2!
crystalglass_33
on 4/15/09 3:05 am - Waterloo, IL
I had my Realize band surgery 7 months ago and I'm down almost 40. It is tough, and long, and bandster hell means a lot of things but to me it means me sitting here comparing myself to everyone else even though I'm losing I'm not losing like everyone else. My mind has been crazy lately trying to figure out what to eat and when and I have no restriction still so I am in bandster hell waiting for this restriction to start. but I know that the 40 I have lost and kept off is from my own will and drive to lose this weight. Once I get restriction it won't be so bad, I know it. It is worth it, but I needed to tell you that it's not fast and you will hate it for a while. It is a lot of waiting and being patient. The first few months I did nothing but compare myself to other people and wish I wouldn't have gotten this surgery but now I'm glad I did :)
Tom C.
on 4/15/09 4:02 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Julie.

I will give you a very short reply, but feel free to send me an personal message, and I will give you the entire story and answer ANY QUESTION you may have. I don't want to clog this post with my story.

Long and short - Had the Realize band operation 15 months ago. I have lost a 157 pounds. While it's been easy, it's no "cake-walk" (no pun intended). You WILL have to WORK at it. It's not a cure all. It's not the easy way out. But if you follow your doctor's instructions, come to the boards, and go to support groups - you will be very successful.

Hope this helped.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
katcruiser
on 4/15/09 4:14 am - Sherwood, AR
Hi Julie,
I had the Realize surgery in Nov. 08.  I LOVE the band.  It has given me a tool to finally stop the mindless eating (the one where I sit down to read with a bag of chips and a little while later discover the bag is empty!).  The band has also helped with portion control- I am no longer able to eat a huge quatntity of food- this is a good thing :)

It has not always been easy- I still have to control what kind of food I eat- stay away from sweets and junk food- focus on protein and avoid white carbs. 

I never really felt the "Bandster Hell", while I could eat more than recommended after recovery, I was never able to eat as much as I used to.  I love the website where we can track our food- I use this daily and it helps me to stay within the guidelines of what I should be eating.

I have lost a total of 50lbs.  I even lost 6lbs on a 15 day cruise!  I now exercise daily.  That was a huge struggle and I hated it for about 4 weeks- now I love it and feel deprived on my rest days.  I am amazed at the difference in my mindset.

Did I mention, I LOVE my band!
Kat

dolphin13glass
on 4/15/09 11:28 am - Thurmont, MD
Hi Julie,
I am currently on the fence about the band and the sleeve....however, I am going to the John Hopkins Bariatric Center at Bayview. I love Dr. Schweitzer. You can go to the website and gets tons of info on the practice. I also know Dr. Barry Green is in Montgomery County. I have a friend who was banded by him in Dec. 08 and she is doing fabulous, down 30+ lbs already! Hope this helps in  your search for a doc.

Nikki
katie20657
on 4/16/09 11:20 am
I am in Southern MD and see Dr. vonRueden in Catonsville.  His staff is great and he has very kind eyes.  I felt comfortable talking to him right away.  It didn't matter to me which band they use.  I too was not interested in bypass and am looking forward to getting this tool and being sucessful for the long haul.  Good luck.

bscharwath
on 4/17/09 10:06 pm, edited 4/17/09 10:07 pm
I got the REALIZE Band C March 16th and I'm down 25 lbs.

The biggest change for me has been the relief that I finally have a real tool to fight this with.
I finally feel like I have some control over the food monster in my brain.  ;-)

I get my first fill on Monday and we'll see what happens.  My appetite is returning but nothing like it was before. 

I feel better than I have felt since before I got pregnant in 05 and I feel 10 years younger.
I'm actually sleeping again and the diet coke brain fog seems to be lifting.  If nothing else the band made me give up diet coke which I really do believe was killing me.  ;-)

Beth

Most Active