Going to be Realized...are you happy you did?

BoxerGirl08
on 4/8/09 7:37 am - Canada
I was banded 3/17/09 and I'm thrilled so far and I'm down 23 lbs in 3 weeks so I cant complain! :) I had to stay overnight cuz my oxygen level dropped really low. That's happens a lot to me though, I get pneumonia like 6 times a year. So no that wasn't because of the surgery. Good luck with your surgery and your new life. Let me know if you have any questions.

-J

Surgery 3/17/2009
Surgery weight 277
Current weight 202
Goal weight
Total lost so far: 75lbs

7.75cc's in a 9cc band
"Starting to gain control in a world full of chaos!"

Teresa_rn03
on 4/8/09 6:12 pm - Jasper, AL
Hey!
The only reason my surgeon said I would have to stay over night for (not including any type of op problems like the liver getting nicked) is if my oxygen sats stayed low.  I think that is more common in people who have severe sleep apnea, because the drugs they use to put you to sleep are going to be in your system for awhile and then if you take the pain meds, you will be sleeping even deeper, so they have to monitor your breathing.  I got a cpap machine about 2 years ago...I think I wore it for about aweek, and never kept it on all night, but he told me to bring it the day of surgery..."just in case"..  I am not looking at having to stay, my apnea is not bad, as a matter of fact it was not severe enough for the insurance to count as a co morbidity. 
On this page, over to the right there is a "battle of the bands" title listed, there is good information there.  My surgeon only uses the Realize now, he used to do both.  I like everything I have read about the realize, but I talk to people who have the LapBand who are very pleased with them. The weight lost is comparable.
I go in on Monday the 13th (4 more days...) for mine.  Click on me and send me a message or add me as a friend and I will keep you up to date on what I experience.  I started on a high protein low carb diet about 3 weeks ago and have lost 14 lbs so far, I am doing 3 days of clear liquids starting Friday, so I hope make it to 20lbs lost before surgery.  He has told you that the more you can lose the better, it will reduce the size of your Liver and complication related to that. 

So far, I like the web site, but I have not gotten into it very far yet, so that opinion may change!!! 

Good Luck to you ~^ kat ^~

Teresa
sheridee
on 4/11/09 2:01 am
i got realized two days ago. i am home now wondering how i can sip my clear liquids when my husband is cooking up bacon downstairs...i will just have to suck it up no pun intended.
my surgeon keeps us banders overnight but still considers it a day surgery. i DON'T know what the swallow test is? they just made sure i was able to pee and poop.(i think the nurses live for those moments!lol)
pain is manageable except when you first lay down.

my friend had gastric bypass on monday and i had the realize band. he was in for 3 days, i was home in two
best of luck to you.
Most Active