Just Banded and Have Some Question

michteacher72
on 4/5/09 1:38 am
Hi there all!

I was banded on Thursday April 2nd, and I am my third day out of surgery.  I am tolerating taking my meds well with applesauce (doctor's permission) and am actually getting more than 64oz of water/fluids.

I was prescribed liquid vicodin and I only use that if I really needs it because a side effect is constipation.  Most of the major gas pain is gone, what I am feeling now is a swelled lower throat and I believe my stomach may be swelled also.  I am totally following doctor's orders.

I am constipated.  I took a laxative and started walking more, upped my liquids and so far nothing.  This puts me at almost 4 days without anything exiting my colon.

The suggestion is Milk of Magnesia.  I just wanted to check in with others because I do know it can go both ways, either being "stuck" or loose stool.

While there is no "normal" in this situation, as we all respond individually, I am just looking to see if what I am experiencing is within the experience of others, especially the throat and stomach feeling and also how my digestive track is responding.

Thank you for your support.  I have already worked hard to change some behavior before surgery, drinking water, chewing food, meditating, and journaling to look at the real reasons behind how I use food.  Next goal is exercise!

Michael Eak
on 4/5/09 2:35 pm - Largo, FL
CALL YOUR SURGEON IMMEADIATELY!!

If your not passing anything you may have a Serious Problem, don't take this lightly.

After my RNY 3 years ago I wasn't passing anything. They were very scared, at least I was still in the hospital. So on day 5 they did a barium test (w/xrays) and found I had a hernia strangulating my intestines. (my procedure was open and they did not see that.) My surgeon went in immeadiately and fix it.

The next day a hospital doctor stopped in to check on me. As he was leaving he turn to tell me "We thought you were going to die yesterday!"

Get to the EMERGENCY ROOM  if you can't receive your surgeon.

We'll be praying for good returns on you,
Mike

Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
Tom C.
on 4/5/09 11:15 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Mike is correct .. CALL YOUR DOCTOR ASAP !! It's probably the Vicodin, but it's still best to be sure.

In the future, this may occur when you start eating "normal" food. Don't forget you'll be taking in more protien then fiber - and this could cause you to bind up. Make sure you continue drinking your water, and you may want to buy some over the counter fiber mix to add to your drink - to help "keep you regular".

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
michteacher72
on 4/8/09 2:41 am
Thanks guys, you are so supportive!

Good news, after talking to the assistant to the surgeon I did a little Milk of Mag and a small dose of stool softner just to get things started, and boy did that work.

While I know that this won't be a normal avenue for getting the pipes going, I am now researching what I can do with my diet as I graduate through the beginning stages of full liquids, to puree and soft foods.  Then how to remain as regular as needed as I start a return to the world of healthy food.

Your concern and care mean the world!  Just wanted to keep you updated!!
Tom C.
on 4/8/09 3:21 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Glad to see you "regular" again !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active