how much time off from work?

lesamay
on 4/3/09 1:53 am - Ellsworth, ME
I am hoping to have the band in the next 6 months.  I work at a job where I am not just behind my desk but up and down during the day.  I also have a 3 year old at home.  How much time should I expect to take off from work??

Starting weight 248/   Day of Surgery   218.4    / Current 210/ Goal 145  
6.8 CC'S IN A 11 CC BAND  
wildheart63
on 4/3/09 3:23 am - IL
I HAD MY SURGERY ON TUESDAY AND WENT BACK TO WORK ON MONDAY.....I WAS FINE BY FRIDAY THOUGH.....YOU'LL BE FINE ....

Mary B.
on 4/3/09 3:41 am - Southern, MD
Hi Lisa,
I had my surgery on a Tuesday afternoon and was planning on going back to work on Monday but went back on Tuesday. I just felt like I needed another day...plus a huge snow storm hit that Sunday night and I didnt have it in me to clean off the car and fight the crazy people out on the road.

I was ok when I got back to work...I sit at a desk all day. My back hurt a little but I think I was overcompensating for my stomach.

Good luck!!
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/09 6:27 am
I work at a hospital where i lift patients and am on my feet all day. I took off 4 weeks, you get to decide, you know what you can handle and what you cant. carolyn
crystalglass_33
on 4/3/09 7:18 am - Waterloo, IL
I took 2 weeks. I had only planned on taking 1 but I found out that I had to take at least 8 days or I would have to use my own vacation time so I took 2 weeks and used medical leave and got paid :) I would say if you don't have any complications that you could use 1 week but I had some problems and was in a tremendous amount of pain for over a week. I am SO glad I had to take 2 weeks because there is no way I would have been able to work. I also sit at my desk all day but even after I went back to work my port would hurt from me sitting up all day. It still aches if I don't relax for a bit. Good luck! This is an exciting time for you!
tenache
on 4/3/09 10:00 am - Lawrenceville, GA
I think that it all depends on you. I had my surgery on a Thursday and could of have went back to work that Monday but I opt out to take a week off just because. So it all depends on how you are feeling afterwards.
  [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQMi0mQ/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wQMi0mQ/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

aholmes123
on 4/3/09 11:26 am
I am a teacher so I am up and down all day too.  I took 2 weeks.  Physically I felt fine after 1 week but mentally I needed that extra week to get used to going to the gym to walk on the treadmill,  being stuck on a full liquid diet, and being able  to get in all the fluids.  As it turned out, I was able to start my pureed diet 2 days before returning to work and that made things much easier.  My surgeon recommends 4 weeks but allowed me to return sooner.   Good luck!
michteacher72
on 4/4/09 10:29 pm
Hi there!

I was banded on 4/3 and have the opportunity to take more time off if I feel I need it.  I am curious as to what grade you teach, it wouldn't be terribly hard to go back that soon because I will be giving a standardized tests to first graders, but I don't want to go back too soon and then backslide.  So I guess I will just have to wait and see.  Just want to connect with another teacher that is experiencing this.  Thanks
lesamay
on 4/4/09 12:28 am - Ellsworth, ME
Thanks everyone, I have to take 5 vacation days before short term disability will pick up so I am thinking with the little guy around two might be best.  We'll see then :)

Starting weight 248/   Day of Surgery   218.4    / Current 210/ Goal 145  
6.8 CC'S IN A 11 CC BAND  
puju11
on 4/5/09 9:22 pm - NJ
I'm a hairdresser and I took off 2 weeks but could of went back in 1.

Kim
Most Active